Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Bullitt with less than 2000 miles. Since almost new I have noticed an intermittent noise that sounds kind of like a rattle-metallic sound that occurs only in 4th and 5th gear only between 1800-2300 rpm. That is around 38-45 mph. It can be heard under light acceleration, cruise, and sometimes a singe metallic tap of the same frequency on decel but only at those speeds and RPM's.
The clutch and shifter function perfectly. I have raised the car and looked underneath and nothing appears out of place.
I had some strange noises and vibes with my previous 2007 Shelby GT but was able to cure them by performing the TSB's related to exhaust hangers, shifter etc. This 2008 model has an entirely different cross member and exhaust and the abnormal noise is different too.
I found TSB #08-8-5 that seems to describe my symptom but it only applies to V-6 models.
Any ideas?? I really do not want to have to take it to the dealer yet. Any one else experienced this symptom?
Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
08-8-5 is the Ford TSB for rattle knock noise in 4th gear with light acceleration at approximately 45 mph and 1800-2200 rpm. Applies to year model 2007-2008 V-6 Mustang with 5 speed.
The cure on the V-6 model is based on production date to replace either flywheel or flywheel and clutch assembly. Said the performance and durability is unaffected by the defect and only a noise issue. Kind of strange isn't it?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Take it back to the dealer! Thats what the warranty is for!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 2008 Bullitt with less than 2000 miles. Since almost new I have noticed an intermittent noise that sounds kind of like a rattle-metallic sound that occurs only in 4th and 5th gear only between 1800-2300 rpm. That is around 38-45 mph. It can be heard under light acceleration, cruise, and sometimes a singe metallic tap of the same frequency on decel but only at those speeds and RPM's.
The clutch and shifter function perfectly. I have raised the car and looked underneath and nothing appears out of place.
I had some strange noises and vibes with my previous 2007 Shelby GT but was able to cure them by performing the TSB's related to exhaust hangers, shifter etc. This 2008 model has an entirely different cross member and exhaust and the abnormal noise is different too.
I found TSB #08-8-5 that seems to describe my symptom but it only applies to V-6 models.
Any ideas?? I really do not want to have to take it to the dealer yet. Any one else experienced this symptom?
Thanks
Tell the dealer your having the 2nd to 3rd shifting problem and they will tear down the trans and replace the syncros under this TSB 09-9-6

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am experiencing the EXACT same issue with my '09 Bullitt that whiteshelby describes with his '08. I have noticed the anomaly from day one and brought it to the dealer's attention soon thereafter. Unfortunately, convincing the service advisor (on test drives) that there seems to be a problem has been difficult given the intermittent behavior and faint noise factor. I have all but given up on the problem then I saw this post.

mustangshorty, are TSB's available to the public? Where can I get more information regarding TSB 09-9-6? Finally, why do you suppose this TSB would address our issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.