Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I'm new to the forums and I was just wondering if anyone could give me a few recommendations on what to start with when it comes to performance modifications? I've done a lot of research and used this forum vivaciously before actually joining it so I've got a few questions...

Would anyone recommend BBK ceramic headers? Or can I go with a cheaper brand and basically get the same gains?

Also, the FR500S exhaust looks like a good setup. I don't want any drone though. If anyone has this setup, please let me know how you like it. I don't want to go aftermarket anymore after my dreadful experience with flowmaster.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Go with a good set of coated stainless (304 or 409) headers. Avoid mild steel even if coatet because they will eventually rust.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I have three options I'm looking at. I'm not quite sure on what the ceramic coated BBK ones are made of because it isn't stated. Which one would you recommend? If none of these, then please recommend something else? I'm also curious whether you would recommend the Ford Racing headers? I have a Bullitt so I don't know whether or not those are already part of the package? I included the links to the three I'm considering below, please let me know what you think...

Pypes Polished 304 Stainless Steel Shorty Headers (05-10 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

BBK Chrome Tuned Length Shorty Headers (05-10 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

BBK Ceramic Tuned Length Shorty Headers (05-10 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Admittedly this is a very personal opinion. I hesitate to even mention it here, but cannot help myself:

It makes me sick to hear of people lucky enough to own a Bullitt and not want to just leave it alone. It is a collector car. It deserves to be left alone.

A guy on here the other day talked about a bad clutch in a Bullitt. I wonder how a young man could have such a nice car and treat it so poorly.

I am 63 yo old, on Social Security. Wish I could have a Green 08 or 09 Bullitt before I die.

Enough said.

Richard.

·
Banned
822 Posts
Admittedly this is a very personal opinion. I hesitate to even mention it here, but cannot help myself:

It makes me sick to hear of people lucky enough to own a Bullitt and not want to just leave it alone. It is a collector car. It deserves to be left alone.

A guy on here the other day talked about a bad clutch in a Bullitt. I wonder how a young man could have such a nice car and treat it so poorly.

I am 63 yo old, on Social Security. Wish I could have a Green 08 or 09 Bullitt before I die.

Enough said.

Richard.
They are a very nice car as Ford built them, but can still be modified tastefully, and taken care of. Just because they're modified, doesn't mean they're thrashed or not loved. While they were produced with the Bullitt package in a limited number, I think the collector or exclusivity hype on the Bullitt, was mainly to increase sales. They still sat on lots for a long time, mostly due to our bad economy. When I bought mine, that dealer had 3 more to choose from, and all had sat nearly a year. I paid about $3K under MSRP, and had I not been impatient, could have paid less.

To the original poster; unless you're adding long tube headers, you might as well stick with stock cast iron manifolds. As for the FR500S mufflers; go for it if you want quite a bit louder, but with a similar tone. I have those mufflers (same as KR muffs) on my Bullitt, and while I thought they were too loud at first, they seem to have mellowed. They sound pretty good, and don't drone at normal driving speeds. You may want to look around the forum classifieds of a few different forums, for a barely used set. Sometimes people buy 'em, and for whatever reason, switch again right away. I got the set thats on my Bullitt, barely used (looked brand new), for $400 shipped. If you have to get brand new, then BuyFordRacing still has 'em for a good price.
Buy Ford Racing Parts - GT500KR Muffler Set - Part number 5230-S

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Enough said.

Richard.
I'm sorry to hear that you feel that way but my very personal opinion is that people should be allowed to do what they want with their cars without criticism from others.

I understand that you feel the car is a collectible and to be honest I felt that way for the first year of ownership as well. The whole stock nature of the car was very appealing to me but I am starting to get the itch to make upgrades now. In my opinion, if you have to take a car as is and not change anything, you may as well lease vehicles instead.

I have a lot of fun working on my vehicle, so if I can't work on this one strictly because of it's nature, then maybe I should sell it. As oldlugs said, the Bullitt was made well but it doesn't mean there isn't room for tasteful improvements.

And by the way, I take very good care of my vehicle so you won't ever see me posting something about my clutch going out. This car is garage kept and I even put a cover over it inside the garage as to keep the dust away. I clean it after almost every use and as a college student, that takes a lot of dedication. Just because some "young" people don't take care of their vehicles doesn't mean I don't.

I am 19 years old, working full time and going to college. I made my wish come true.

Enough said.

Joseph.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are a very nice car as Ford built them, but can still be modified tastefully, and taken care of. Just because they're modified, doesn't mean they're thrashed or not loved. While they were produced with the Bullitt package in a limited number, I think the collector or exclusivity hype on the Bullitt, was mainly to increase sales. They still sat on lots for a long time, mostly due to our bad economy. When I bought mine, that dealer had 3 more to choose from, and all had sat nearly a year. I paid about $3K under MSRP, and had I not been impatient, could have paid less.

To the original poster; unless you're adding long tube headers, you might as well stick with stock cast iron manifolds. As for the FR500S mufflers; go for it if you want quite a bit louder, but with a similar tone. I have those mufflers (same as KR muffs) on my Bullitt, and while I thought they were too loud at first, they seem to have mellowed. They sound pretty good, and don't drone at normal driving speeds. You may want to look around the forum classifieds of a few different forums, for a barely used set. Sometimes people buy 'em, and for whatever reason, switch again right away. I got the set thats on my Bullitt, barely used (looked brand new), for $400 shipped. If you have to get brand new, then BuyFordRacing still has 'em for a good price.
Buy Ford Racing Parts - GT500KR Muffler Set - Part number 5230-S
Does this mean that I would need to get a full exhaust system? From what I can tell, if I get long tube headers, I will lose my catalytic converters unless I go with an aftermarket system. I don't necessarily want to completely re-pipe it, which is why the shorties appealed to me. I'm told that anything is better than stock when it comes to headers. Is that just a myth? And thank you for the advice on the used mufflers, I'll definitely look into that my friend. Any other advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Banned
822 Posts
Does this mean that I would need to get a full exhaust system? From what I can tell, if I get long tube headers, I will lose my catalytic converters unless I go with an aftermarket system. I don't necessarily want to completely re-pipe it, which is why the shorties appealed to me. I'm told that anything is better than stock when it comes to headers. Is that just a myth? And thank you for the advice on the used mufflers, I'll definitely look into that my friend. Any other advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
I think that since you're living in CA, as I am, you probably don't want headers. Though legal, short tubes aren't worth the hassles of installation, for the very minimal gain (if any at all).
The stock manifolds on the 4.6 are nearly useless as extractors, like well designed headers, but actually flow gasses fairly well. If going forced induction, the stock manifolds will let you make power, are less noisy than headers, and are pretty much hassle-free.
Long tubes can help with both power and fuel economy, but aren't legal here. Changing anything behind the catalytic converters won't do much except alter the sound. If you want a louder, more aggressive bark than the stock system has, as simple muffler sway may make you happy. A long time ago, I was an "unlimited" licensed smog tech in this state. I think these days, it's just not worth the hassle of making any mods that can't easily be returned to CARB legal status, when required. If you want to spend money on making more power, look into the CARB-legal supercharger kits. The Edelbrock looks like a good one, and also fits under the Bullitt's strut tower brace. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that since you're living in CA, as I am, you probably don't want headers. Though legal, short tubes aren't worth the hassles of installation, for the very minimal gain (if any at all).
The stock manifolds on the 4.6 are nearly useless as extractors, like well designed headers, but actually flow gasses fairly well. If going forced induction, the stock manifolds will let you make power, are less noisy than headers, and are pretty much hassle-free.
Long tubes can help with both power and fuel economy, but aren't legal here. Changing anything behind the catalytic converters won't do much except alter the sound. If you want a louder, more aggressive bark than the stock system has, as simple muffler sway may make you happy. A long time ago, I was an "unlimited" licensed smog tech in this state. I think these days, it's just not worth the hassle of making any mods that can't easily be returned to CARB legal status, when required. If you want to spend money on making more power, look into the CARB-legal supercharger kits. The Edelbrock looks like a good one, and also fits under the Bullitt's strut tower brace. :)
Okay thank you for your help, I've only been a member for 3 days but this forum has been extremely helpful already in giving me information to make educated decisions on what I want to do to my car. I've got a lot left to learn but I have a feeling you guys are gonna make that gap close a lot quicker.

I saw the Edelbrock Supercharger and it looked nice to me, I just don't know if I'm too impressed with the gains from it as far as a supercharger is concerned. If I'm gonna spend the money, shouldn't I be looking at closer to 500hp from a good kit?

·
Registered
189 Posts
If i can just interject real quick, I would set the header idea aside for a minute if I where you. The exhaust on these cars is actually pretty well designed, so when your starting down the modification road it seems to be one of the least effective mods, bang for your buck wise. You would be much better served by starting of with a CAI and Tuner combo. Americanmuscle.com offers a few nice packages that include the cold-air intake, tuner, and free customized tunes. With something like that you could easily see double or triple the gain you would get from long tube headers.

Then you kind of need to decide what route your going to go with the car and how far your going to take it. You said that power quoted from the edelbrock supercharger sounded a little low? I believe its somewhere around 450 hp. Most of the kits do not go to far beyond this the way they come from the factory because that is about the limit of the stock transmission. However, just as you can upgrade the transmission to handle more power, you can upgrade the pulleys on the superchargers to produce more boost as well.

·
Banned
822 Posts
...If I'm gonna spend the money, shouldn't I be looking at closer to 500hp from a good kit?
The Edelbrock blower, and several of the others, will provide enough extra air to stress the stock engine to its limits. 500 HP at the crank, versus a little over 300 stock, is a pretty big difference. The car with that blower, won't be quite at the torque levels of a stock GT500, but you're a couple hundred pounds lighter, and you'll scoot along just as quickly. BTW- your stock rear-end is already identical to the one used in the GT500KR, if you didn't know. Give it 500 HP, + some supporting mods, and you should be good for low 12 second 1/4 mile times, if that's your thing.

As OldComeNew mentioned, the stock exhaust was a good breather already, and will support 500 HP.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If i can just interject real quick, I would set the header idea aside for a minute if I where you. The exhaust on these cars is actually pretty well designed, so when your starting down the modification road it seems to be one of the least effective mods, bang for your buck wise. You would be much better served by starting of with a CAI and Tuner combo. Americanmuscle.com offers a few nice packages that include the cold-air intake, tuner, and free customized tunes. With something like that you could easily see double or triple the gain you would get from long tube headers.

Then you kind of need to decide what route your going to go with the car and how far your going to take it. You said that power quoted from the edelbrock supercharger sounded a little low? I believe its somewhere around 450 hp. Most of the kits do not go to far beyond this the way they come from the factory because that is about the limit of the stock transmission. However, just as you can upgrade the transmission to handle more power, you can upgrade the pulleys on the superchargers to produce more boost as well.
The Bullitt comes with a CAI & I believe it has a tune from FRPP already as well.

The reason I was saying that I was a little unimpressed with the gain is due to the fact that the new 5.0's are already pulling 412hp & 390lbft. of torque. So going from naturally aspirated to blown & only being able to pick up a good 20-30 horsepower over the new models is kind of discouraging to me. If at some point I had the money to put towards a supercharger, with the Edelbrock, it seems that I would be better served just putting that money towards a newer model. On top of that, MPG's are important to me & a small gain over the newer model wouldn't be worth it in my opinion if I lose all my efficiency in doing so. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate that you took the time to reply to my post.

·
Banned
822 Posts
...The reason I was saying that I was a little unimpressed with the gain is due to the fact that the new 5.0's are already pulling 412hp & 390lbft. of torque...
You can't compare the 4.6 to the new 4-valve 5.0. With independent variable cam timing, it breathes better at any engine speed. Might as well dump the Bullitt, and jump on the 5.0, if that's what you need. Something will always be faster. Though compromise through, you can improve what you have. In this case, the compromises will be $ for the blower, along with lessened fuel economy and shorter drivetrain longevity. Maybe in the near future, we'll be able to buy a 5.0/6 speed conversion kit for our cars. That way, we'd have the body style we prefer (at least I do), with the latest power-train.

I'm happy with my Bullitt being a reliable highway cruiser. It looks good, handles OK, and goes fast enough for being stock. When I want more zoom, I take a different car. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can't compare the 4.6 to the new 4-valve 5.0. With independent variable cam timing, it breathes better at any engine speed. Might as well dump the Bullitt, and jump on the 5.0, if that's what you need. Something will always be faster. Though compromise through, you can improve what you have. In this case, the compromises will be $ for the blower, along with lessened fuel economy and shorter drivetrain longevity. Maybe in the near future, we'll be able to buy a 5.0/6 speed conversion kit for our cars. That way, we'd have the body style we prefer (at least I do), with the latest power-train.

I'm happy with my Bullitt being a reliable highway cruiser. It looks good, handles OK, and goes fast enough for being stock. When I want more zoom, I take a different car. :)
Yes I definitely prefer our body style to the new ones. The new ones look like life-size hot wheels toys in my opionion. I just want the technology from the new ones, that's all I'm after. Hopefully they do make that conversion kit you were referring to because I'll jump on that in a second.

& yes I love my Bullitt as well. I think it handles great & gets good gas mileage while doing so. I would take a different car when I wanted more zoom, but not all of us are blessed enough to have an '09 GT500KR such as yourself. Nice car by the way :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
IMO stay away from BBK for S197 parts, their quality rep isn't that great.

Kooks, American Racing or SLP are the 3 headers which i recommend to people.

As for the E-Force, i am bias but its a sweet supercharger, you will not be disappointed :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IMO stay away from BBK for S197 parts, their quality rep isn't that great.

Kooks, American Racing or SLP are the 3 headers which i recommend to people.

As for the E-Force, i am bias but its a sweet supercharger, you will not be disappointed :)
I wouldn't view your opinion as biased, I would view it as experienced :bigthumbsup

I wanted to hear from someone who actually had the thing. Now that I have and you say it's awesome, that's enough for me. I'll add it to the list of mods, even though it'll probably take me a few years before I can actually afford it. The payment is enough as it is! :yelwacko:

G

·
The Bullitt comes with a CAI & I believe it has a tune from FRPP already as well.

The reason I was saying that I was a little unimpressed with the gain is due to the fact that the new 5.0's are already pulling 412hp & 390lbft. of torque. So going from naturally aspirated to blown & only being able to pick up a good 20-30 horsepower over the new models is kind of discouraging to me. If at some point I had the money to put towards a supercharger, with the Edelbrock, it seems that I would be better served just putting that money towards a newer model. On top of that, MPG's are important to me & a small gain over the newer model wouldn't be worth it in my opinion if I lose all my efficiency in doing so. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate that you took the time to reply to my post.
I think you may have your numbers a little skewed. The numbers quoted from the new 5.0 are at the crank. Most owners quote their blowers are at the rear tire where it counts since it has been dyno tuned. A mildly modified 4.6 can easily put down 450 rwhp with a decent blower. Highly modified 4.6s are putting down over 600 rwhp. The jury is still out on the new 5.0 since it is running a compression ratio in the 11s. That doesn't leave a lot of room for boost.

...oh yeah. I still can get 29 mpg!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think you may have your numbers a little skewed. The numbers quoted from the new 5.0 are at the crank. Most owners quote their blowers are at the rear tire where it counts since it has been dyno tuned. A mildly modified 4.6 can easily put down 450 rwhp with a decent blower. Highly modified 4.6s are putting down over 600 rwhp. The jury is still out on the new 5.0 since it is running a compression ratio in the 11s. That doesn't leave a lot of room for boost.

...oh yeah. I still can get 29 mpg!
Thank you for the input friend! This is the type of stuff I need to know because I know there's a big difference between crank & rear wheel, I just didn't know what the E-Force was being rated at.

How are you getting that high!? My Bullitt gets 27mpg on a good day...stock :headscratch:

Does it have to do with the tune you put on it?

G

·
Thank you for the input friend! This is the type of stuff I need to know because I know there's a big difference between crank & rear wheel, I just didn't know what the E-Force was being rated at.

How are you getting that high!? My Bullitt gets 27mpg on a good day...stock :headscratch:

Does it have to do with the tune you put on it?
Not real sure. Its was never a concern for me with this car since its not my daily driver. Tune, mechanical componenets or a combination of both, who knows but I'll take it. Southeast Michigan is pretty flat so with 27.5" tires, 3.55 gears cruising at 70 mph for over 30 miles got better then 29 mpg. I'll admit I was watching the numbers and going light on the throttle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.