Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bbk cai will be here tomorrow for my 2008 mustang gt and i'll be installing it soon. i got it from brenspeed with an xcal 3. any advice in avoiding pitfalls / things to look out for in the installation would be appreciated. this is the first time i've modded any vehicle that i have owned. so i'm a newbie with this. thanks in advance y'all.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Welcome to AFM... It's really easy. The stock airbox/tube comes off pretty easy and the new assembly will go on without much trouble. Just make sure you double check all of your connections and make sure the MAF sensor is seated properly and the harness connected.

We're here if you have any issues!

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
haha its to easy trust me on that. :) that is the only mod I actually did on my car...

Wait I did my old strut tower brace as well but I took that off lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also installed a BBK CAI on my 06 Mustang GT. A few days later I got a CEL. BBK boosts that no flash is required with thier CAI. Any ideas? Anyone? Before I return it to stock.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I also installed a BBK CAI on my 06 Mustang GT. A few days later I got a CEL. BBK boosts that no flash is required with thier CAI. Any ideas? Anyone? Before I return it to stock.
The BBK is so close in design to the C&L that I find the 'no-tune' claim to be a stretch. I think a custom tune would be in order.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have the BBK cai and run it without a tune. So far it seems to work just fine and the engine light has not come on.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
I have the BBK cai and run it without a tune. So far it seems to work just fine and the engine light has not come on.
There is so much variation in these cars that it's tough to tell how these parts are going to react.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
installed the bbk with the brenspeed 93 tune, and wow! It completely changed my car. It sounds a lot louder when i put the hammer down. I'm hoping that it is normal cause its awesome. I can even hear it breathe. 28.8 mpg at 55mph witht he 3.55's. 26mpg or so at 75. And a whole lot of power still available. I've let the genie out of the bottle. I can feel the need for a cam in the future. but the next mod will be the slp loudmouth. See if i can drown out my shaker 1000. i'm stoked!

animal

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
installed the bbk with the brenspeed 93 tune, and wow! It completely changed my car. It sounds a lot louder when i put the hammer down. I'm hoping that it is normal cause its awesome. I can even hear it breathe. 28.8 mpg at 55mph witht he 3.55's. 26mpg or so at 75. And a whole lot of power still available. I've let the genie out of the bottle. I can feel the need for a cam in the future. but the next mod will be the slp loudmouth. See if i can drown out my shaker 1000. i'm stoked!

animal
Yep... Perfectly normal! Glad you're enjoying it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I installed the BBK CAI a few weeks ago along with a 91 octane tune via SCT Xcal3. I reused the torex screws from the MAF even though the directions i downloaded said otherwise. I highly recomend a 91 or 93 octane tune, your not getting your moneys worth if you go lower. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I installed the BBK CAI a few weeks ago along with a 91 octane tune via SCT Xcal3. I reused the torex screws from the MAF even though the directions i downloaded said otherwise. I highly recomend a 91 or 93 octane tune, your not getting your moneys worth if you go lower. Good luck.
You can use them as long as you don't overtorque them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So here's a question that I'll pose to those who also have CAI's installed...

Every time I give my car gas, I hear a high pitched whistling from the CAI... I'm almost dead positive that its from so much air being sucked in at one time, but never really thought about it too much. Anyone else experience this?

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
So here's a question that I'll pose to those who also have CAI's installed...

Every time I give my car gas, I hear a high pitched whistling from the CAI... I'm almost dead positive that its from so much air being sucked in at one time, but never really thought about it too much. Anyone else experience this?
Yes that is common to all CAIs.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
The stock air box quiets that down by pulling the air right from the inner fender well.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Makes complete sense. I've never worried about it at all; just figured it was considered normal. Well, at least I know my engine is getting a little air :bigthumbsup

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
Makes complete sense. I've never worried about it at all; just figured it was considered normal. Well, at least I know my engine is getting a little air :bigthumbsup
Now if it whistles really loud, you should check your connections because an intake leak will also sound like that.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I installed the polished BBK CAI about 2 weeks ago and used the Superchips FlashPaq and I could definitely tell a big difference. My friend is running the carbon Steeda and I believe the SCT programmer. Both of us feel a bigger difference with mine.

With the torx screws, they bottom out in the CAI. I used washers as spacers so that I could snug them down. They should have made the holes through holes and there would not have been any problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.