Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2008 Mustang GT that had a Boost Brothers Turbo kit already installed. I am fairly novice when it comes to turbos and haven't been able to find very much info on the Boost Brothers Kit (probably since they no longer exist) and haven't found many 2005+ owners with this kit.

Based on what the previous owner indicated to me and what I have discovered:

It now has about 5000 miles since the install.

It has a boost controller and I believe I am running at about 5 lbs (I haven't messed with the controller at all).

It has a diablo tuner installed (haven't messed with that at all either because I am unfamiliar with it)

It was professionally tuned with a mild tune for daily driving and 91 octane.

I don't know about the injectors/fuel pump/ignition coil or system

It has a Magna Flow cat back system (not real fond of...its too quiet)

Whom ever installed the turbo did a fairly crappy job
- discovered on my 1500 mile journey home from the purchase that the fan was wired backwards and was pushing instead of pulling (found out the hard way)
- the bumper cover was twisted to $hit when they were messing with it and it has lots of spider cracks in it.
- the piping was poorly fitted
- the first gasket on the hot side came loose

A/F ratio is generally at 14.6
Unless I really stomp on the gas my boost gauge stays in vacuum (is that normal?)

On my trip home I started burning oil and now when I stomp on the gas I leave a big plume of blue smoke...my hunch is I have a bad seal in the turbo.

I have been looking at a rebuild kit, but not sure which kit to go with. It looks like I could maybe use a Garrett T67 kit from ebay ($65), but again, I am fairly novice when it comes to Turbos, so I don't know for sure.

Would I be better off moving to a different turbo? It looks like some have switched from the boost bros to an On3, but I want to make sure I make the right switch.

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts