Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I spend by precious mod funds , I thought I would pose this question to the forum. I have a 2008 GT convertible 5 speed manual with 28k miles and I am getting an exhaust smell inside the car at all speeds and types of driving. It's a little more tolerable when I use the recirculate air button on the climate control. I have all stock headers, cats and H-pipe. My newly installed Bassani axle backs did not change the situation (as I knew it prob wouldn't) but they sound great.

My initial assumption is that some of the seals or weatherstripping for the convertible top are not as air tight as they should be and the exhaust is finding its way from the tail pipe back inside. Other than that, how do I check for leaks?

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
is there a leak somewhere in the system?

And have you changed your cabin air filter yet? mine was absolutely filthy at 15,000 miles and the smell of the air was a lot better once i changed it for a new one. You might just need a new filter

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Start the car and open the hood and see if there is any leeks there. Check to make sure they aren't any hoses loose or off and then look under the car and make sure the band clamps are tight.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Exhaust smell

Last winter I was noticing exhaust odor in my GT when stopped and engine at idle. I haven't noticed it at all this winter, and forgot about it until I saw this thread.

·
Registered
338 Posts
top sealing should have nothing to do with it. What about when your top is down? Exhaust should never make it to the passenger compartment under any circumstance. I know mine doesn't.. You hear any exhaust leaks or 'tapping' in the engine compartment ever?

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
With only 28K on the odometer, you should still be under your factory warranty. I would get it checked by your local Ford dealer for any exhaust leaks if you cannot find any.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No noticeable exhaust smell when the top is down. No unusual tapping or clicking noises. I guess taking it to the dealer would be an option but last time I took it in to have the shift linkage checked after I bought it used, they mentioned that unless its throwing an error code there isn't much they can do.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
No noticeable exhaust smell when the top is down. No unusual tapping or clicking noises. I guess taking it to the dealer would be an option but last time I took it in to have the shift linkage checked after I bought it used, they mentioned that unless its throwing an error code there isn't much they can do.
Try going to a different Ford dealer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
i recently installed long-tube headers and notice an exhaust smell in the cab when i'm at a stop light and the heater is one. I'm not too worried about it for now because i dont drive the car much in winter.I figure there must be a leak i'm missing. I dont see any black near the seams or hear any leaks.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
one more observation: the air blowing from the vents when AC is off but fan on is much warmer than the outside air by about 8-10 degrees (AC set to off, temp set all the way counter clockwise to cool , recirculate off, outside temp 65 -temp from duct 74)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.