Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All Ford Mustang Forums.

Background Info:
I just bought a used manual 08 GT CS with 2700 miles on it.
I know you guys will probably cringe on this one, but I learned how to drive stick on this car. I have to admit, it was a little ugly learning how to drive on my dream car - but I never once grinded my gears while learning.

Shifting Issue #1:
When shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, my mustang sometimes feels like it doesn't want to shift into gear. I actually feel resistance through the shifter when it's about half way into gear. To describe it, I would say the vibrations I feel through the shifter is the equivalent of holding your hand against a spinning ceiling fan to try to slow it down.

Since I just started driving stick, I thought it was poor shifting technique, bad shift points or shifting into the wrong gear at the wrong speed with my RPMs too low or high. Usually if I feel resistance going into a gear, I put it back in neutral and try again a few seconds later. Just one time I tried just pushing through the resistance and it grinded my gears like no other.

After 3 months of driving, I have determined 2nd gear and 3rd gear randomly give me that resistance when shifting into gear without any consistent reason. When I simulate the same speed, gear shift, rpms etc. sometimes my car shifts perfectly and sometimes it doesn't.

I talked to a mechanic and he thought I was nuts after I described it to him. He said I should bring it into the dealership because it's still under warranty and a car should be smooth when it shifts. Has anyone else had this problem?

Shifting Issue #2:

When I shift from one gear to the next, I hear a distinct thump and the car slight lurches. If I give it some gas before I release the clutch, it doesn't do it - but I'm not sure if the thump noise is normal or if I should be hitting the gas and increasing the rpms before releasing the clutch.

The affect of the thump and car lurch is greatly magnified when I downshift outside of the suggested shifting speeds in the owners manual which are 20 mph - 3rd gear, 30 mph - 4th gear. If I'm on the interstate going 55 mph in 5th and need to pass some moron who's driving to slow in the left lane - throwing it into 4th to accelerate to 80 isn't smooth at all. Seriously I don't want the seatbelts to engage.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1st Gear Issue:

Sometimes when I'm in first gear and I accelerate, it feels like my car starts bouncing forward. This usually happens at 15 to 20 miles per hour but sometimes less. Has this ever happened to anyone? Does this mean I suck at driving or are all my issues related to the same thing? (Which I'm guessing is some type of transmission problem) If it is my fault, what can I do to prevent this?

Thanks I know this was a long read. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey man to me it sounds like you need to just keep practiceing on that new manual. The thump noise you describe is most likly because you are not giving it enough gas so the clutch is not engadging smoothly which causes the thump. For now i think that your fine and as your manual driving gets better then you will begin to notice more smooth shifts and better driving.

Well anyway thats my 2cents lol have fun with the new stang and keep practicing but for now i think you are fine, unless some thing major happens like your car wont let you into a gear.

G

·
Welcome to AFM Nick!

Honestly it could just be technique. Can you have someone at the dealership drive it to confirm? If the problem can be duplicated by an accomplished manual driver then it could be mechanical and warranty will cover it as you say. If someone else drives it and they don't experience those issues it could just mean more practice on your part. Congrats on the car and keep us posted!
:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey man - I'm actually in a similar boat to you. I 'learned' how to drive stick on my '09 GT/CS that I picked up last May (well I took a couple 1.5 hrs lessons first on a 'student' car, but that was it). I've been evaluating and considering attending a night class automotive mechanic program at Lincoln Tech. for 10 months - my background's in electrical eng. (though I haven't had to use it in a long while).

Shifting Issue #1:
Can't say I've run into that problem on a consistent basis. I know exactly what you mean by the description but have only experienced it when I'm too quick to begin releasing the clutch while the shifter hasn't gone completely into gear. A lot of my shifts also feel pretty notchy - that kind of contributes to it. Occasionally I'll push the shifter in until I feel a notch (but it won't really be all the way in gear) and then I'll release the clutch and get the grind - scares the crap out of me. Probably not related to your issue, but I do get an annoying resistance pulling OUT of a gear (especially 2nd) when I'm shifting around 3000 rpms or higher - I've found that I need to push the clutch in quicker/more sharply and when I do that, shifting out of 2nd gear (to go to 3rd) is much easier/smoother.

Shifting Issue #2:

When I shift from one gear to the next, I hear a distinct thump and the car slight lurches. If I give it some gas before I release the clutch, it doesn't do it - but I'm not sure if the thump noise is normal or if I should be hitting the gas and increasing the rpms before releasing the clutch.
I ran into that a lot when I first started - I'm thinking (based on my own experience over past year and other threads on similar discussion) that it's normal. Regardless of whether you upshift or downshift, if you pop the clutch (ie. release the clutch pedal really fast) the car will lurch. I'm definately no expert, but if you change gears and pop the clutch, there's now likely a difference between your current RPMs and the RPMs that your engine would be running for your given speed - I think of the lurch as the attempt by the engine/drivetrain to reach a new 'equilibrium'.

With more driving I think you'll find a good feel for how fast to apply gas while releasing clutch in order to accomplish smoother shifts up or down. When I downshift, I typically hit the gas shortly after pressing in the clutch - with the clutch pressed in, the drivetrain is 'disconnected' from the engine, and I tap the gas to try to match the engine RPM (without drivetrain load) to the RPM I believe corresponds to the speed I will be at after that downshift in the desired gear. After downshifting and releasing the clutch, if I've matched/predicted the correct RPMs during this effort, I'll feel minimal 'lurch'.

I think the thump is normal on these cars as well, based on several reads of other posts/threads on similar discussions. It can be minimized by working on your driving/shifting habits to the point where you won't notice it. I actually have no idea what causes it - heard some people suggest a number of things including the stock 2-piece driveshaft, control arm/suspension bushings, etc. A lot of stuff you can switch out with aftermarket components as well to help eliminate.

1st Gear Issue:

Sometimes when I'm in first gear and I accelerate, it feels like my car starts bouncing forward. This usually happens at 15 to 20 miles per hour but sometimes less. Has this ever happened to anyone? Does this mean I suck at driving or are all my issues related to the same thing? (Which I'm guessing is some type of transmission problem) If it is my fault, what can I do to prevent this?
Do you mean it start bouncing back and forth? I've gotten that around 5-10 mph. I attribute to my gas foot not being very steady. In first gear, my foot will sometimes jerk slightly off the gas and (due to what I assume is the notorious delayed throttle response in our stock cars) then shortly after the car will lurch forward - here's the funny part: the lurch forward causes my gas foot to press into the gas causing the car to lurch back, then the lurch back causes my gas foot to come slightly but sharply off the gas and the car will lurch forward - and this process bad feedback loop will go on until I put it to a stop by pressing in the clutch. It's kind of funny - when it happens, co-workers will stop in the parking lot and give me that 'wtf are you doing??' look as my car lurches/bounces back and forth down the road. Sound familiar?

Keep in mind I'm probably just as much of a newbie so my answers may not be completely correct - just thought I'd chime in with my experiences in case it helped.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like your on you way. The Tremec is a race trans. It will hold up, the clutch might not. The slop in the drive line is were your getting noise from, it's normal. It will all go away as you get smoother. Good luck and enjoy your GT.:smilie

·
Registered
186 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.