Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas. I'm always looking at things that make me faster but I'm about to have to address my brakes. My brakes feel as good as the day I bought the car except when slowing from 75 mph hour or more. Then it shudders pretty bad. Any recommendations? I'm thinking just a rotor turn and Hawk pads. I don't road race or anything but I still want the best I can get for reasonable money.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
i felt a great improvement when i use cross drilled rotors and stock pads. done that to all the mustangs i've owned.

·
Registered
10,877 Posts
You can turn the rotors if the guy doing it and there machine is good. If not I would go with Powershot rotors and HPS pads. That's what I have and work great. I would stay away from drilled rotors, they develop cracks at the holes.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's the cheapest aftermarket rotors available that still have good quality and work with stock calipers?

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
You can turn the rotors if the guy doing it and there machine is good. If not I would go with Powershot rotors and HPS pads. That's what I have and work great. I would stay away from drilled rotors, they develop cracks at the holes.
I'm with Travelers.

OEM Ford rotors are junk and always warp on me. My 03' Cobra rotors lasted 2 days. All 7 of my F-150's warped the rotors and all three of my F-250's the same. I had a few of the trucks rotors turned under warraty but they never took. Now when I get a new truck I know I will be doing rotors soon out of my own pocket. The Cobra rotors I turned myself and they were PERFECT........for about two more days. I threw them in the can and got some Brembo OEM replacements ($65/rotor!) and Hawk pads from Tire Rack and it was bulletproof after that The Hawk pads make a bit of noise though but it's a small price.

If you already have warped rotors or stuck some pad material to them (high spot) just junk em' and save yourself the time of screwing around. If you want to go inexpensive NAPA's top shelf rotors (I can't remember the name) are outstanding. I use them on all of my trucks and I tow 6000lb a lot and still brake like there is no trailer on there from 80mph (cruising speed). All the other rotors suggested work great too but for a bit more money. Any Cryo rotor rocks! Can't go wrong there. I would stay away from drilled even though chances are they won't crack anyway.

And..........it's hard to beat the deals you can get on GT500 14" brakes. All told I think I have $750 in them and they work damn good. I have been hammering on them for 6000 miles and they still stop hard and have outstanding feel (which is something the OEM calipers/rotors don't have because the caliper flexes a lot)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm with Travelers.

And..........it's hard to beat the deals you can get on GT500 14" brakes. All told I think I have $750 in them and they work damn good. I have been hammering on them for 6000 miles and they still stop hard and have outstanding feel (which is something the OEM calipers/rotors don't have because the caliper flexes a lot)
I'm with you on that choice...if I ever upgrade my brakes, that was the way I was going to go.
One thing about warped rotors that a buddy of mine that's in the tire business always told me, is make sure the guys working on your car aren't over torqueing your wheels bolts when they put the wheels back on. He said that a lot of the warped rotor problems they see is from the wheel bolts being too tight and then with the vicious heat cycle the rotors see...they warp.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. I'm going to look into the NAPA rotors and Hawk pads. I really don't need anything fancy. Stock was fine if they'll last.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.