Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All - 1st post!
I've got an 08 GT with a C&L Street CAI and FRPP GTAs..I'm looking for a new tune. I've been running Brenspeeds 91 Tune for a few weeks now and I'm not satisfied. The 87 seems like my best option right now, can that even be right? Here's what I know of the 4 Brenspeed tunes I've used:

87 - Good low end feels much stronger than stock
91 - Original Tune was Solid above 3k, but lacking in the low rpms. I actually had them send me a second 91 tune because I was pinging above 4k. The new tune feels like a slug
93- Pings like crazy.

I have only run 93 with all 3 tunes so gas should not be the issue with the pinging. My question at this point is who to go to for a new tune? I'm a daily driver who would like more low end torque.. any suggestions? Back to Brenspeed for one more time? Bama? Tillman? VMP? Dyno Tune? Do I even go for another 93 octane tune or just a 91 since my current 93 pings real bad?

Any suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Can't go wrong with Tillman or Bama, dyno tune it if you have the cash and the tuner knows what he's doing.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I am running a Tillman's 89 performance tune and it works very well. Low end is nice and above 3000 it comes on stronger.

I also have a 91 street race tune that I have tried. The throttle response is very aggressive and it definitely goes in the upper rpm. I find it harder to drive smoothly in normal situations. So I am back to the 89 and am satisfied.

Frank

·
Registered
456 Posts
Id get a dyno tune if possible. Canned tunes are generic tunes, but all mustangs are a little bit different, so they wont always fit perfect, or may not fit well at all as in your situation. Your car may have come lean out of the factory, so a generic tune meant for a car that runs more rich would push it too lean. Some shops are better than others with their canned tunes, but none of them are so bad to cause problems like that, especially on an almost stock car. Youll also be able to squeeze out a bit more power with a dyno tune.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
A dyno tune would be the most accurate but really isn't needed at this point in your mods. Might want to give VMP Tuning Inc a look as well as Tillman and Bama.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've got a similar setup as you, but I have Bama's 91 Performance and 91 Torque tune. With either tune it's alittle sluggish under 2500 rpm's but the power with the Torque tune seems to come on earlier, around 2500 rpm's versus 3200-3500. The Torque tune is designed for a little better mid-range power at a bit of sacrifice of top end. You might see if Tillman has something comparable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I'm still undecided, but do appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
IMHO, suggest that you first try to determine the cause of the pinging problem with your current tunes.

If it pings during the heat of the day, then see if it also pings late at night when the ambient temp is cooler. If it does not ping at night, then heat is the cause.

If it pings at night, then make sure the CAI's heat shield is forming a good seal with the underside of the hood.
Make sure all of the CAI's connections are tight, and no excess air in being sucked in around them.
Make sure the rubber gasket is on the MAF sensor. Sometimes it sticks inside the stock air intake when the sensor is transferred to the CAI.
Clean off the MAF sensor with spray cleaner.
Try different brands of gas.

If none of the above helps, then dump a can of Seafoam into the gas tank immediately prior to a fill up. It will get rid of any carbon that may have built up inside the combustion chambers, and also clean out the injectors. I had a pinging problem on my 05 GT with only 17K miles on the clock, and Seafoam eliminated it after 200 miles of driving.

BTW, your 2nd 91 tune is sluggish probably because timing was pulled, and/or the A/F was richened.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have a 91 tune from Evolution and torque at 4500 feels like a rocket! WOT is un-freaking-believable. That is mainly why I haven't done any more mods in the past year! I got the tune in 2007, have heard some response issues at Evolution lately? Could be under staffed or something.

Why the dissing of Brenspeed? I don't get this board... same guys claim Bren is tuner god who is worth an 8-hour drive in one thread, then recommend Tillman in another. What gives people?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just to be clear. Brenspeed customer service has been excellent. I spoke with them several times and they did send me a new tune that does not ping...it just feels a but sluggish compared to the low end of the 87 tune and the all around of the 93 tune..which pings badly.

I'm not putting them down at all, just trying to get my pony running like I want and I'm thinking of comparing my current Brenspeed tune with another tune altogether. :bigthumbsup

Who knows..I may get another tune that's inferior to Brenspeeds..but maybe not.

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
hey ski tell me more about this ruber gasket on the maf sensor i have cleaned mine sevral times dont rember seeing a rubber gasket.is it suppose to be on the part that plugs in or on the sensor:headscratch:.thanks might be whats wroung with mine if mine is missing where can i get one at ford.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
The gasket is a rectangular shaped piece of rubber that's located on the MAF sensor that bolts into the CAI. If it's not there, then check to see if it's stuck in the MAF sensor port on the CAI, or on the stock air intake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.