Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the summer, I installed a K&N Lifetime filter into my GT's factory airbox. I have had no problems with it until the temperature began to drop this month. When ever starting my car on a day that is 55 degrees or less, there is a very loud howl coming from under the hood. This eventually goes away as the car warms up but it is bothering me. Has anyone heard a similar problem and know a solution? Thanks! :)

Matt

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Are you sure that the airbox is sealed properly. An intake leak could cause that sound.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Or a loose belt. Which would be totally unrelated to your K and N install.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
My last 3 F-150’s did the same thing. It never turned into a problem. I think it’s because of cold fluid I the power steering.

I’ve never started my car when it was cold out.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
You should hear my Vortech when it's cold! I can't even drive it when it's below 25*F because the impeller tolerances are too tight.

·
Registered
50 Posts
cold start whistle tsb-08-4-2 fead idler pulley makes the noise part #6l3z6c348-a. Mine does same thing only starts about 40 degrees. Just waiting for something else to go wrong to take it in but no other problems so far.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! TSB 08-4-2 seems to exactly my problem. Next time I take the car in for service I will have them perform it and let you know what happens!

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Oops, double post

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
You should hear my Vortech when it's cold! I can't even drive it when it's below 25*F because the impeller tolerances are too tight.
Wouldn’t the tolerances open up wider when it’s cold?;)

My guess it is because the oil is so “thick” at that temp.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.