Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new user with a fairly basic question. I'm looking to replace the interior overhead (dome?) lights in my '08 GT with something red and preferably LED. Being a college student on a tight budget i'm always looking for inexpensive ways to add fun things to my mustang until I graduate and can start the fun, more expensive projects. I've recently started installing red interior LED lights and replacing these overhead ones seems like a fun, dynamic, and inexpensive addition. I've come across a previous forum post with a link to some LED bulbs and I'm wondering if anyone knows if these will fit. 921-x12 Wedge Base bulbs Specifications Any help or other advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
^douch mentality,

I personally would buy from ebay as they are usually cheaper. Look in your owners manual for the bulb type, and double check by looking at the actual bulb. Then ebay search "(bulb type) red LED" or "Red LED (bulb type)" or even "red dome light 2008 Mustang"

Good luck. i love the blue ones in mine.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
^but those arnt LED, and the coating starts to flake.

·
Registered
156 Posts
^but those arnt LED, and the coating starts to flake.
I haven't tried the led lights. These bulbs were easy to find and look nice (at least so far). I haven't noticed them flaking yet, really hadn't thought much about that happening. I like to leave them on sometimes and I was afraid the led ones would be too bright?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A friend of mine has some green ones in his car and they don't seem too bright, but what may not be too bright for us may be distracting to another. I'll put up a picture of these at night once they come in and I put them in and you can see what you think about the leds.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
the LED use less power, and last longer, so if you were to leave em on its less of a risk for the battery, my blue ones arnt bright at all IMO.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Watch with what you buy from ebay, in fact from almost any place. The dome light LEDs will glow on some mustangs. So when the dome lights are off, you can still see a glow to them.

There is only one place I know of that guarantees his LEDs won't glow.
2005-2012 Ford Mustang Dome & Map Light LED Upgrade (W/built in Resistor) 2 Bulbs

I have them in my car and never had a problem with them and they are bright.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good info. Didn't know about the glow situation. I'll try these out and if they aren't very good or have a nasty glow, i'm only out 7 bucks. Worth a shot and i'll become familiar with how to replace them. If these don't work well then i'll definitely take your advice and buy the ones on your link.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
it depends on the wiring, some arnt wired for a 12v application, most have a resistor and are correctly wired for a 12v application, if that is the case then they dont glow.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
These are the meanest red LEDs that I know of for the map lights. Plug right in, no alterations required. 2 watts of pure red LED light. And they use switching regulators, so 90% of the power ends up in the LEDs, instead of the more common resistor type where half the power is pissed away as heat in the resistor. Because of the use of the regulator there is no faint glow when it’s supposed to be off either. They make great rear side marker lights too, brighter than the 194 bulbs that are stock. There’s also blue and 5K and 6 K white available.

RED 4 LED 2 WATT HP FLANK BULBS 194 168 158 | 1 PAIR

·
Registered
590 Posts
Here's what mine look like. I can post up dated pictures it you like.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How hard was it to install them? Did you have to pull the whole unit off or can you just pop the clear plastic lenses off?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
FYI, and it may depend on the LED's you have, but I had to enlarge the holes where the bulbs went in the light housing because the LED's had a larger diameter body than the original bulbs did.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just got the lights I ordered off of ebay and put them in. Did it just like the video. Installation took less than 5 minutes and the lights work great. I'll upload a picture once it gets dark. :bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 20 Posts