Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to gain the most hp staying n/a. 4:10 gears are next. After that I do not have much cash so I need to spend wisely.
My questions are:
What additional bolt ons can I do to gain more hp?
What is the max hp I can expect? Will be doing it myself so need to keep it on the simple side.
Then what will I need to do to transfer the hp to the street?
THANKS!!!

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Pulleys, CMCV plates, water pump, coils, better windage tray, aluminum driveshaft will get you a few more. If you have designs to crack 400 rwhp, you'll need some engine work.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pulleys, CMCV plates, water pump, coils, better windage tray, aluminum driveshaft will get you a few more. If you have designs to crack 400 rwhp, you'll need some engine work.
Ok you sparked my curiosity, what engine work? Simple I hope :scratchchin

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
I know that STL forged his internals with a stroker kit once he got to 400 HP to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I looked up windage tray install,it requires 14 hours of labor and the motor to be removed so for 14 hours X say 80 bucks an hour its an expensive 10 hp.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
So are cams, that why most guys don't do cams on these new engines because the investment does not yield enough of a gain to warrant all the work.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
I looked up windage tray install,it requires 14 hours of labor and the motor to be removed so for 14 hours X say 80 bucks an hour its an expensive 10 hp.
Notice STL said "better" windage tray, our Mustangs already have them. He just needs one better :D

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Ported heads, cams, forged crank, dished pistons, forged rods. Not cheap. Would I do it over? No.
What would you do? :scratchchin

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Ported heads, cams, forged crank, dished pistons, forged rods. Not cheap. Would I do it over? No.
And a hush comes over the crowd.........

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So are cams, that why most guys don't do cams on these new engines because the investment does not yield enough of a gain to warrant all the work.
That's why I want to see what I can get out of the car staying with the stock engine. Figure if I can get close to 400 hp at the fly wheel and do uca/lca and strut tower brace to get the hp to the street, she won't be so bad :gringreen

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I'd slap a blower on it and be done with it. It was too much $ and too much downtime (40+ days).
Oh come on... What fun would that be. :D

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
That's why I want to see what I can get out of the car staying with the stock engine. Figure if I can get close to 400 hp at the fly wheel and do uca/lca and strut tower brace to get the hp to the street, she won't be so bad :gringreen
400 at the crank would require a cam change and/or PnP heads.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I am happy that I was able to crack 400 rwhp N/A but it was a lot of work that I'm not sure I'd like to relive.
So do we see a supercharger in the future?

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
Nah, I'm happy where I'm at. Plus I really don't want to dump any more huge chunks of $$ into it.
did i just hear STL say he was done with big mods???? wow....

but all joking aside, you did put a lot of cash into that motor already. Would you ever consider dropping in a new motor after this one's life is done? or would you just grab a new car and start over again?

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
did i just hear STL say he was done with big mods???? wow....

but all joking aside, you did put a lot of cash into that motor already. Would you ever consider dropping in a new motor after this one's life is done? or would you just grab a new car and start over again?
Don't know... I'm hitting one of my 'bored with the car' periods right now. We'll see how I feel after the weather improves. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.