Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Nah, I'm happy where I'm at. Plus I really don't want to dump any more huge chunks of $$ into it.
It's truly a sad, sad day when the mod master says he doesn't want to dump big money into his Mustang... Truly sad indeed. :weeps

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
If I were to do engine work wouldn't I be better off rebuilding from the block up and going turbo? Money wise to hp gained? But I would definatly kill myself with 600+ hp. Don't think that would be a good daily drive either :nono:

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
If I were to do engine work wouldn't I be better off rebuilding from the block up and going turbo? Money wise to hp gained? But I would definatly kill myself with 600+ hp. Don't think that would be a good daily drive either :nono:
600+ would not be a fun daily driver. If I had to do the engine over, I would go with a new cast iron short block like 5Twenty did.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Pulleys, CMCV plates, water pump, coils, better windage tray, aluminum driveshaft will get you a few more. If you have designs to crack 400 rwhp, you'll need some engine work.
So is this what I should be concentrating on then? How much more hp we looking at?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
So is this what I should be concentrating on then? How much more hp we looking at?
I'm sure it's already been said, but cracking 400hp NA is going to cost some change. If it's what you really want, then by all means, chase the dream. That's what I'm doing. It looks like the motor I wanted will be pushed to an indefinite timeframe, but I will be getting heads and cams at some point.

Starting from scratch, I'd estimate well over $10K for everything. Probably closer to $12-15K depending on how you shop and who does your work for you. If it's just numbers you want, a s/c/turbo will cover that, will be half the price and you can install it in your driveway.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Before anyone panics... I'm not thinking of getting rid of the car :)
I thought for sure you would end up at the Challenger forums. :D

·
Registered
571 Posts
you might find good deals on them on this forum or ebay or other local shops might have good deals on them. Check out for good deals before hand

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im throwing in some Comp Cams and porting the heads. should get 60 hp. and cost 1,000 just for cams. Porting is being done myself for free but you got to know what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Im throwing in some Comp Cams and porting the heads. should get 60 hp. and cost 1,000 just for cams. Porting is being done myself for free but you got to know what you are doing.
I wouldn't count on 60. I added stage 3 cams, heads and stroked the motor to 298 ci and I picked up 61.

R

·
0 Posts
Agree with stlwagon.

If ya want 400 ponies just go SC.

The amount of $$$ to build up the 4.6L to that 400HP figure is pretty involved.

I prefer the alum head/ block because I try to keep cornering in mind as well. Going iron block and SC will put alot of understeer into the S197 without doing alot of suspension work to get some of it back.
Besides, the stock block is good for 700HP I have read, and some motor builders use it at that level.

My friends GT500 is pullied and CAI-tuned, dyno at 600HP.
If you keep yr foot out of it, it is very streetable, at WOT it is insane...but fun.

It is a pig in the corners though compared to the GT.

That said, even at 4000 pounds, the GT500 is surprisingly nimble in it's own right.

If you do a complete motor mod, good luck and keep us posted on results.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.