Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my car, I did a carfax on it. It showed that the car was in a wreck and that it has had previous rear end problems. When I bought my car, it had a small whine coming from the rear end and it has been getting worse. I took the rear end cover off and checked the inner bearings. They seemed to be good. There was a small amount of metal shavings found but not much. I am preparing to replace all of the rear end bearings and seals but one of my mechanics said that since the car was in a wreck before, the axle may be twisted or tweaked. Is there a way to check my axle for its straightness. I don't want to buy new bearings and replace them if it is the axle that is the problem.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You could probably get out cheaper by just replacing the whole rear end out of a junk yard.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Found

I searched and 1 was on e bay for 350 complete and other take off parts 8.8 05-10 Mustang for 800.00 bucks. That's about the cost of new gears and install.

Just my 2 cents

T Wayne

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Take a look at TSB 06-19-2, re: clutch pack. A lot of mustangs, 05 & 06 had this issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think it might be relatively easy to pull an axle from the rear. Replacement axles might not be too expensive either. But, the rear end housing could be bent or tweaked and a bent axle or bad bearings may be just a symptom of a bigger problem. Unfortunately you could spend a lot for a good diagnosis and a lot on parts that may not be the problem. You might just want to think about that used rear end, assuming it is in good shape. $350 is a very good price. Just make sure it is the correct rear end for your car. They usually are tagged and you could check against a Ford site to assure it is correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts