Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there have been similar posts to this, but i'd really like to get some input/opinions. I'm a college student on a tight budget but i'd really like to start personalizing and upgrading my 08 GT. Everything is stock right now except some HID headlights I just installed in the foglights. Does anyone have some fun upgrade ideas, cosmetic or performance, that can be done on a budget until I graduate and can start working on the big projects? I'd just like to get some ideas if anyone has any. I'm not expecting to make any significant power gains or drastic visual changes from this, considering my bank account and income are pretty tight, but it can't hurt to start with some small or fun things now. It would also give me an opportunity to start playing around with and learning more about my car. Any DIY projects that you all have done, i'd be more than willing to try and learn.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Racing stripes (go for paint -- not decals)?
Louvers?
Hurst shifter?
3.73 back axle?
Axle back exhaust system?

Lots of inexpensive options -- where do you want to go with it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd definitely like to make it quicker, but i'm not sure what I can do about that on a budget right now. One person suggested upgrading the spark plugs so i'm thinking about that, but in not sure what difference it would make with everything else stock. I'd thought about louvers also and I know that's something I'll do soon. also I'd like to paint or vinyl wrap the spoiler black but not sure how much that will cost me. mostly where i'm trying to go is slowly make it faster but also learn as much as I can in the process.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I wish I did my exhaust system first, everyone has an awesome sounding exhaust except me. :nono: My girlfriend's Mustang is the exact same car as mine (but mine is much more comfortable and in better condition), but I love driving her car more because I love to hear the exhaust. I was also zipping around town with a Cobra earlier today, he loved to show off how loud his exhaust was.

I put in a 4.10 gear in my car, made it so much more fun and it's probably one of the biggest differences you'll notice N/A. Back then though, it costed $139 and installation was $350. I think for gears now it costs around $180? You could also do a CAI and a tune, it'll give you a noticeable difference in performance.

Also, spark plugs wont really affect your performance stock wise. I'm actually changing mine this weekend hopefully. The only difference in spark plugs from what I noticed is that some last longer, and some are either 1 piece or 2 piece.

I think my car looks fine just the way it is (except tint), so I'm all about performance mods.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your car does look great the way it is now. I've been toying with the idea of a tint myself. But the gear change sounds like a great idea. I'll definitely look into that. A CAI is also something i've been looking at, but while I am on a budget, I want to make sure I get a decent quality piece rather than buying something cheap that doesn't work as well. What exhaust does your girlfriend have? I don't know much when it comes to that but i'm willing to look at any suggestions. And yeah I figured that given my stock engine, spark plugs wouldn't change a whole lot. I'll save that for later. Most of the projects i start in the near future will probably be cosmetic but the gears are something i'm really interested in. If I can get the styling of my car just the way I like it, i'll have the whole world of performance upgrades opened up to me once I graduate and the money starts coming in.

B
0 Posts
I'd definitely like to make it quicker, but i'm not sure what I can do about that on a budget right now. One person suggested upgrading the spark plugs so i'm thinking about that, but in not sure what difference it would make with everything else stock. I'd thought about louvers also and I know that's something I'll do soon. also I'd like to paint or vinyl wrap the spoiler black but not sure how much that will cost me. mostly where i'm trying to go is slowly make it faster but also learn as much as I can in the process.
Upgrade your spark plugs???? Sounds like you are already getting bad advice. On a stock motor you only need OEM plugs and they can go up to 100,000 miles. If you really wanted to tinker on the car, pull the plugs read them and replace with new properly gapped OEM plugs...but I would consider this more along the lines of basic maintenance.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm only 17,so I know how you feel with the limited money budget. My girlfriend has the stock mufflers but she has an O/R X pipe with it so it's pretty loud. I'm going for a Bassani X pipe (comes with removable cats, so I'm going offroad x) and the Magnaflow Magnapacks, I think that sounds freaking nice as hell. For a CAI, I'd go on American Muscle and check them out. I personally like the Steeda CAI and the Airaid Race CAI. And you won't regret the 4.10 gears, go for it! Just keep in mind about highway mpg, mine went down from 27 to 23-24 mpg.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

·
Registered
831 Posts
Your car does look great the way it is now. I've been toying with the idea of a tint myself. But the gear change sounds like a great idea. I'll definitely look into that. A CAI is also something i've been looking at, but while I am on a budget, I want to make sure I get a decent quality piece rather than buying something cheap that doesn't work as well. What exhaust does your girlfriend have? I don't know much when it comes to that but i'm willing to look at any suggestions. And yeah I figured that given my stock engine, spark plugs wouldn't change a whole lot. I'll save that for later. Most of the projects i start in the near future will probably be cosmetic but the gears are something i'm really interested in. If I can get the styling of my car just the way I like it, i'll have the whole world of performance upgrades opened up to me once I graduate and the money starts coming in.
A couple of things:
  • How much money do you have to spend? That will help us zero in on what mods you can do to your car.
  • I've got a 3.73 rear axle on my car, and stoplights are a lot of fun! :)
  • I've got a Steeda axle back exhaust system in my car, and it sounds frikin' awesome. I highly recommend this.
  • I've also got a Steeda Cold Air Intake -- the CAI is inexpensive, and you can do it yourself, but the TUNE is where it gets expensive (expect to pay $500 for the tuner and professional tune -- you can get by with $370 for the tuner, if you tune it yourself, but I don't think the results will be as good).
  • Window tinting is good and inexpensive -- $100 installed.

·
Registered
968 Posts
And also, about the OEM spark plugs lasting 100,000 miles, DONT believe it! I checked mine yesterday, mine are all used up and I only have 41,000 miles on my car. They only last 20K-30K miles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A couple of things:
  • How much money do you have to spend? That will help us zero in on what mods you can do to your car.
  • I've got a 3.73 rear axle on my car, and stoplights are a lot of fun! :)
  • I've got a Steeda axle back exhaust system in my car, and it sounds frikin' awesome. I highly recommend this.
  • I've also got a Steeda Cold Air Intake -- the CAI is inexpensive, and you can do it yourself, but the TUNE is where it gets expensive (expect to pay $500 for the tuner and professional tune -- you can get by with $370 for the tuner, if you tune it yourself, but I don't think the results will be as good).
  • Window tinting is good and inexpensive -- $100 installed.
Well i've got about $500 to play with over the next few months that i've set aside just for the car. I'm not sure if I can get a decent intake with tune with that, but i'm doing my homework. Tinting would be really cheap and make the car more comfortable during these summer months. That black leather gets hot in the southern summer heat. I'm feeling like I could either make one decent performance upgrade with that, or several smaller cosmetic ones. It'll all get done eventually, but right now i'm having to be picky. But like i mentioned earlier, i really don't know the first thing about the different types of exhaust systems. I don't know what all i'd need, what brands are the best/sound the best, or how much all of it would cost me.

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Well i've got about $500 to play with over the next few months that i've set aside just for the car. I'm not sure if I can get a decent intake with tune with that, but i'm doing my homework. Tinting would be really cheap and make the car more comfortable during these summer months. That black leather gets hot in the southern summer heat. I'm feeling like I could either make one decent performance upgrade with that, or several smaller cosmetic ones. It'll all get done eventually, but right now i'm having to be picky. But like i mentioned earlier, i really don't know the first thing about the different types of exhaust systems. I don't know what all i'd need, what brands are the best/sound the best, or how much all of it would cost me.
Tough choice here...

For $500 you can get our CAI & Tuner, and this made a HUGE difference on my car! 05-09 Mustang Black Cold Air Kit & SCT Tuner

At first I was going to recommend our lowering springs, and here's why- They are a cosmetic mod (the car looks much better on them!), they're a performance mod (the car handles much better on them!), and they are also a budget mod ($199) 2005-2012 Ford Mustang GT V6 UPR Pro Series Kit Lowering Springs by Eibach at UPR Products - Lifetime Warranty!

Just my opinion- avoid your spark plugs like the plague. I think you said you're not an experienced mechanic, and these cars have a known issue with the plugs separating when you try to remove them. It's a serious problem that requires a very specialized tool to fix. I wouldn't recommend for you to touch those.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
If budget is a major consideration (like it is in your case, mine too!) a fun way to go about it is to watch the local Craig's List, ebay, and the classifieds on this and other forums, and see what comes up at great prices.

For example, if you buy an "axle back" (stang-geek-speak for mufflers) new, they will cost you about $300-600 for the pair . . . but a lot of guys go through a lot of mufflers before they settle on one they like, so they have to unload the old ones cheap, so you might find one for $100-200 if you are patient and keep looking.

One thing you should NOT buy second hand unless you really know what you are doing and can trust the seller: a tuner. They are "married" to the car and unless divorced properly they will not work on a different car.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It took me about a year to decide on what exhaust I want to get. I've decided to go with the Magnaflow Magnapack Catback System and a Bassani catted/offroad X pipe. As much as I want the axle-back, they dont make the Magnapacks with just the axle-backs. The 'catbacks' for these cars are not really a true catback system so in that case, look at axle backs. Axle-back wise, I really like the FR500S axle backs. Very deep and throaty and sound good with the stock midpipe. I also used to hear good things about the Borla Stingers, but I havent heard anyone buy one in a while for whatever reason, although they are pretty expensive (price of a catback system). If you want LOUD for cheap, look at the SLP Loudmouths or the Pypes Pype Bomb muffler deletes. You'll lose a little backpressure but your car will be LOUD with the stock midpipe. I wouldnt recommend it though if you're going to get an aftermarket midpipe though, it'll be unbearably loud.

From what I've heard, chambered mufflers sound better with an H pipe and straight through mufflers sound better with an X pipe. I'm going with the straight through muffler and X pipe setup. Some advice is to go on youtube and listen to some exhaust systems. The video wont do it any justice, but you'll get an idea of what it sounds like.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tough choice here...

For $500 you can get our CAI & Tuner, and this made a HUGE difference on my car! 05-09 Mustang Black Cold Air Kit & SCT Tuner

At first I was going to recommend our lowering springs, and here's why- They are a cosmetic mod (the car looks much better on them!), they're a performance mod (the car handles much better on them!), and they are also a budget mod ($199) 2005-2012 Ford Mustang GT V6 UPR Pro Series Kit Lowering Springs by Eibach at UPR Products - Lifetime Warranty!

Just my opinion- avoid your spark plugs like the plague. I think you said you're not an experienced mechanic, and these cars have a known issue with the plugs separating when you try to remove them. It's a serious problem that requires a very specialized tool to fix. I wouldn't recommend for you to touch those.
Wow. Lots of ideas i hadn't thought of or thought were out of my price range. This just keeps getting harder! That CAI with tune package looks like a GREAT deal and would definitely make a big difference. And I hadn't even thought about lowering springs but the more I look into it now, the more I really like that idea. And I'd also heard the same thing about the spark plugs separating. After everything everyone has said on here, I think i'll avoid messing with those until I absolutely have to, and even then I might have someone with the proper tools take care of that for me. Thanks for the links and advice! Those look like two perfect options for what i'm looking for.

If budget is a major consideration (like it is in your case, mine too!) a fun way to go about it is to watch the local Craig's List, ebay, and the classifieds on this and other forums, and see what comes up at great prices.

For example, if you buy an "axle back" (stang-geek-speak for mufflers) new, they will cost you about $300-600 for the pair . . . but a lot of guys go through a lot of mufflers before they settle on one they like, so they have to unload the old ones cheap, so you might find one for $100-200 if you are patient and keep looking.

One thing you should NOT buy second hand unless you really know what you are doing and can trust the seller: a tuner. They are "married" to the car and unless divorced properly they will not work on a different car.
Yeah buying a tuner used doesn't seem like a great idea. That would be something I bought new and I want to make sure I get a good bang for my buck. WIth the exhaust, i'm going to start watching videos and looking around to see what I might like and what I definitely don't like. That would be something I could buy used for without much problem though.

It took me about a year to decide on what exhaust I want to get. I've decided to go with the Magnaflow Magnapack Catback System and a Bassani catted/offroad X pipe. As much as I want the axle-back, they dont make the Magnapacks with just the axle-backs. The 'catbacks' for these cars are not really a true catback system so in that case, look at axle backs. Axle-back wise, I really like the FR500S axle backs. Very deep and throaty and sound good with the stock midpipe. I also used to hear good things about the Borla Stingers, but I havent heard anyone buy one in a while for whatever reason, although they are pretty expensive (price of a catback system). If you want LOUD for cheap, look at the SLP Loudmouths or the Pypes Pype Bomb muffler deletes. You'll lose a little backpressure but your car will be LOUD with the stock midpipe. I wouldnt recommend it though if you're going to get an aftermarket midpipe though, it'll be unbearably loud.

From what I've heard, chambered mufflers sound better with an H pipe and straight through mufflers sound better with an X pipe. I'm going with the straight through muffler and X pipe setup. Some advice is to go on youtube and listen to some exhaust systems. The video wont do it any justice, but you'll get an idea of what it sounds like.
That's good info for me to have. I was a little lost with the different exhaust system terms but that cleared some things up. It sounds like I really just need to look around and watch some videos to decide what kind of system I like the best. I'm really not looking for anything unbearably loud, especially since I unfortunately have to do alot of long distance driving in my stang. It is my primary car and daily driver so anything too loud might get annoying after too long. That being said, I'll definitely look around for some options that I like and listen to what they sound like. A deep/throaty sound is what i'd like to keep. The stock exhaust doesn't sound too bad, but there's definitely improvements to be had by getting an aftermarket system. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out youtube and see if anyone has a video of the system you described and see what I think!

·
Registered
968 Posts
That's good info for me to have. I was a little lost with the different exhaust system terms but that cleared some things up. It sounds like I really just need to look around and watch some videos to decide what kind of system I like the best. I'm really not looking for anything unbearably loud, especially since I unfortunately have to do alot of long distance driving in my stang. It is my primary car and daily driver so anything too loud might get annoying after too long. That being said, I'll definitely look around for some options that I like and listen to what they sound like. A deep/throaty sound is what i'd like to keep. The stock exhaust doesn't sound too bad, but there's definitely improvements to be had by getting an aftermarket system. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out youtube and see if anyone has a video of the system you described and see what I think!
If you dont plan on getting an aftermarket midpipe, it sounds like you might like the FR500S axle backs then. Check out some reviews, see what you can find about them. From what I hear, they're good for a DD with sound but when you go WOT they get loud. They're pretty expensive though, if I remember correctly. But anyway, here's a video of the FR500S exhaust (they're also called GT500KR mufflers, KR mufflers, etc) just to get you started on your search!

4.6L KR Exhaust - YouTube

Also, about the spark plugs, you shouldnt have to worry about anything breaking when removing your spark plugs if you have the revised cylinder heads. The '08 Mustangs got the revised cylinder heads, but only the '08 Mustangs that were built after 11/30/07. I too was worried about this so I checked yesterday. If you have black coil boots, then that means you have the old cylinder heads and you need to be VERY careful with the spark plug removal, something I'd probably let a professional do. If you have the brown coil boots, then you have the revised cylinder heads and you shouldnt have any problems removing them. I actually checked mine yesterday, fortunately mine are brown. I'll post some pics of the coil boot and the spark plug itself. And remember, the sooner you change them, the better off you are. Every 20K-30K miles, I'd recommend. I hit 41,000 miles and my plugs are used up.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
I wish I did my exhaust system first, everyone has an awesome sounding exhaust except me. :nono: My girlfriend's Mustang is the exact same car as mine (but mine is much more comfortable and in better condition), but I love driving her car more because I love to hear the exhaust. I was also zipping around town with a Cobra earlier today, he loved to show off how loud his exhaust was.

I put in a 4.10 gear in my car, made it so much more fun and it's probably one of the biggest differences you'll notice N/A. Back then though, it costed $139 and installation was $350. I think for gears now it costs around $180? You could also do a CAI and a tune, it'll give you a noticeable difference in performance.

Also, spark plugs wont really affect your performance stock wise. I'm actually changing mine this weekend hopefully. The only difference in spark plugs from what I noticed is that some last longer, and some are either 1 piece or 2 piece.

I think my car looks fine just the way it is (except tint), so I'm all about performance mods.
What is a 4.10 gear and how does it help the car? i know nothing about engines, more a cosmetics guy, but im all about helping out with handling and what-not. thxx

·
Registered
968 Posts
what does 4.10 gears mean and what does it do? i know nothing about engines, more of a cosmetics guy, but it sounds interesting!
"Your Mustang's Rear consists of your axles, the gear housing, a power transfer device (IE a spool, LSD, posi-unit, etc.), and the Ring and Pinion gear set which is the part that we will be talking about today. What Do Gears Do? Your Rear Differential Gears dictate the final drive ratio, which is denoted as a number such as 3.73, 4.10, 5.16, etc. This number is the amount of times the drive shaft will turn a full rotation before the wheels will turn one revolution. The steeper the ratio (the higher the number), the more power is going to the wheels per revolution of the wheel. For example, if you had 4.60 gears, your motor would complete 4 complete revolutions plus 60% of a 5th revolution to make your wheels turn one revolution. Why Would You Want To Change Your Ratio? There are many reasons, but the most common on a late model Mustang is to get your car into your power band faster. When Ford switched from the 5.0L pushrod motor to the 4.6L modular motor, a common complaint was that the new motor was sluggish off the line. This is because the 4.6L does not start making its torque until much higher RPMS then the 5.0L. Changing to a steeper gear will get that pig out of its blanket, and really wake it up off the line. What Ratio Should I Buy? On a stock car or mildly modified late model Mustang with common bolt-ons I personally recommend 4.10 gears. 4.10 gears will give your car much more pep, with negligible impact on your vehicle's drivability. Another popular choice is 3.73 gears, but the significant performance increase of the 4.10 gears far outweighs the minute gas tank penalty."

(Borrowed from American Muscle, here is more info http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-rear-differential-gears.html)

In other words, it makes your car FUN. Search it up a bit, the 4.10 gear is the best bang for the buck.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-rear-differential-gears.html

B
0 Posts
And also, about the OEM spark plugs lasting 100,000 miles, DONT believe it! I checked mine yesterday, mine are all used up and I only have 41,000 miles on my car. They only last 20K-30K miles.

I got 119,000 out of my 3 valve expedition and they were still firing just fine...and remember I did say on a stock motor.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Really? My spark plugs have 41,000 miles on them and my car struggles to start sometimes. It wasn't as bad until lately. My engine isn't really modded that much...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts