Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the seemingly never-ending mod process, I finally come to the most dreaded question of all: which long-tube headers (and catted x-pipe setup) to think seriously about bolting on.

I like what I've seen with both SLP and JBA but I'm interested in other people's opinions on the subject before making any decision.

BTW, whatever I end up running has to "mate up" with my Borlas (which easily mated with the OEM tubes from the mid-pipe back): they stay no matter what:punk:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
If you plan to run catted I think Kook's new catted X pipe is freaking AWESOME

I have heard the SLP hang pretty low so if thats the case I would stick to

KOOKS
JBA
Stainless Works
ARH

Just ensure they are stainless steel. The JBA's and SLP's are 409 Strainless which will have surface rust at times so you have to watch them were I know the KOOKS and ARH's are 304 which will not have surface rust. I am not sure of the Stainless works but I think they are 304 are well

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
The SLP clearance problem has nothing to do with the headers. It's the cats that are the problem. The header collectors don't have any clearance issues.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I have the JBA headers... Great quality and fit. I'm not sure about the cats... I have their O/R h-pipe.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's something else I'm confused about: SLP says you have to use a short x-pipe with their long tubes but none of the others says anything about this (to my knowledge).

Is this just an SLP issue or do all of the catted x-pipes have to be "short" to fit up to long tubes, then the rest of the cat-back system ? :needahand:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
im not sure my kooks came as a set

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Here's something else I'm confused about: SLP says you have to use a short x-pipe with their long tubes but none of the others says anything about this (to my knowledge).

Is this just an SLP issue or do all of the catted x-pipes have to be "short" to fit up to long tubes, then the rest of the cat-back system ? :needahand:
Many companies make a factory-style midpipe in conjunction with their midpipes for LT's. Naturally, the pipe for the LT's will be shorter.

My personal feeling on this is to get the JBA's. I'm a fan of the slip-fit connection because it will give you flexibility to change out midpipes with little or no modification to them. For example, my Dynatechs came with an X pipe. I didn't really care for that, so I had to have a H pipe fabbed up. Those who remember know that this was a royal headache. Had I went with the JBA's from the jump, I wouldn't have had that problem. Some don't like the idea of a band clamp securing their stuff, and that's understandable, but the compression-fit flanges on many of these products can make the option above a real pain.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK...thanks for clearing that up.

I've been leaning toward the JBAs for several reasons (among them being that I can get the LTs for a very good price). My only real issue is that they don't make a catted x-pipe to go with them, only a catted h-pipe; hence, I've been casting around for an alternative catted x-pipe.

Based on what you said Mark, it sounds like the SLP catted x would NOT be a great choice because of ground clearance issues. tact, you seem to like the KOOKs x a LOT. So if I did go with the JBA LTs (and I'm still undecided so if anybody has a strong opinion to the contrary PLEASE say so), would the KOOKs mate up and, if not, what alternative would people recommend in a catted x ?

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now I'm thinking Kooks because of the Jet-Hot coating and the fact that they make a catted x-pipe to go with it...is the Jet-Hot really worthwhile ? Or is simply going with uncoated stainless ok ? Once again, :needahand:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.