Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.Im in need of some advice.I recently did my oil change as I always do,but this time the bolt was hard to loosen.When it did get loose,I heard a snap.I checked the bolt and it was fine.So I drain the oil and put the new filter.When I put the bolt back on to tighten,It wouldn't tighten by hand,so I pulled it back out and tried again,but for some reason wouldn't fit right.I ended up tightning it by wrench anyway,but as I was tightning it,it would no longer tighten.So idk whats stripped,either the pan threads or the bolt.I checked for tightness/leaks,It's fine right now.It'll hold till my next oil change.The thing im worried about is what if the shavings from it being stripped got into my oil and is circulating around the engine.Would the filter catch it?Will it clog the filter?Would I notice power loss and or decreased gas mileage?Any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks guy!:headscratch: By the way,I got an engine oil heater that sticks to the pan by magnet,so that might hold any shavings to the bottome of the pan,still unsure though.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
probobly the pan, its aluminum.

you might be able to get a quick drain on there, its a drain with a switch and a thumb lock.

put it in and use some lock tite. with a PCV gasket around it, being super careful not to get none in the oil pan its self

if that dont work you may need a new pan!

oil filter, hand tighten quarter turn with wrench. besure to put oil on your o ring to help seat the ring.

drain plug get it snug then with one flick of the fist a nudge to tighten.

if you want to know a real pain, try workin on marine engines, specificly the one on my boat, everythigns cast out of aluminum and bronze.

gotta be super careful

·
Registered
225 Posts
I just put a Fumoto quick drain valve on my GT. No more drain plug removal and no chance of stripping threads. :bigthumbsup

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
You're probably going to need to clean up those threads with a tap and install a new bolt..

·
Registered
225 Posts
oh,i see.sp next time i do my oil just out this?where did you purchase this?
I got mine from qwikvalve.com. F-106 is the part number.

·
Registered
225 Posts
That's the same one I use. Sure makes things easier!
Less mess too. I used one of these on my 04 Mazda 6 for 5 years. Loved it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I bought one for mine but haven't installed it yet. I remember using this one or similar on my 86 GT. I think I'll have to put it on since STL uses it:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
81 Posts
I can also verify it is the Fumoto F-106. Just looked on the part. Gonna throw it on next oil change. The only negative side is I may only change my oil once a year. I guess I'll have to put more miles on her.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't forget that I also bought aftermarket coils so be careful buying something just because I did. :D In this case though, I think you're safe.
do you think i would have to do the same?how exactly do these go on?:headscratch:..i dont know too much bout the oil pan area:embarrassed

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
What happen to the good ole days when you just install a Heli-Coil kit to repair damaged threads?

I think this is when I realize I am getting old.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Drain

I just put a Fumoto quick drain valve on my GT. No more drain plug removal and no chance of stripping threads. :bigthumbsup
Thanks for the tip. Installing one of these ASAP.

Gerardo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.