Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2008 Mustang Upgrades

Tags
2008 gt
2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Brenspeed 
#1 ·
I just recently bought a 2008 GT. I have mostly been doing upgrades to the body to make it look good but now I am wanting to start increasing power. My first thoughts were getting a CAI w/tuner chip along with some other bolt on parts. I'm considering a supercharger, but it will take a little while for me to save up for that. What all should I add as far as bolt on parts? and what kind of power can I gain total? Or is a supercharger the best road to take?:happyhapp

#2 ·
Glad to have you here on AFM, welcome and enjoy the site, You can do a search for any questions you might have, congrats on your new stang :bigthumbsup

#3 ·
Supercharger would be the best mod for increased power but if you can't afford one right now, the best would be a good CAI (JLT) and Tuner (XCAL3) that alone usually gives anywhere from 20-25rwhp and way better throttle response. My 05 GT with CAI, Tuner, H pipe, flowmaster catback, UDP's, Delete plates and stage 3 cams (oh and on a mild 91 tune from Brenspeed) put down 330rwhp. Didn't get it dyno tuned but the guy told me that with one, i would probably be around 340rwhp but he only dealt with predator tuners.
And on street tires, 2.1-2.2 60', i was running 12.9 @ 109 mph at the 1/4 track.

#6 ·
I would do the longtubes after a cold air intake, tune, and delete plates. That's when I did mine and they really helped with the low and midrange torque. If I had to list my power mods in order from most noticeable power increase to least, it would be as follows. 1) cold air intake and tune 2) 3:73 gears 3) longtube headers 4) charge motion delete plates 5) aluminum driveshaft 6) underdrive pulleys and 7) lightweight radiator support. I'm sure the supercharger will take the top spot once I add it! Keep us posted and good luck with you mods.

#7 ·
Thanks KDT, i just wanted to know where to start on enginr mods...a supercharger is top on my list but cant make that purchase yet so im gonna start small...

#8 ·
Yeah a CAI and tuner is a great choice. Brenspeed, Bama and Tillmans are 3 quality places that make good email tunes. With this you will then have the tuner that will be needed for your other mods. JLT, Steeda, C&L are my favorite CAIs but there are many others and they all are gonna make similar power with a good tune.
With just CAI and 93 octane tune I ran 13.4 @ 106. And Im just an OK driver.

#9 ·
If youre serious about getting a supercharger, you might not want to get an intake. Youre gonna end up pulling it off when you get the supercharger. Ive seen a gears and tuner package. You might want to look into that. Youll probably get a tuner in a supercharger package also, but youll need it for basically any mod you do to the engine. If you wanna build up small first, id suggest looking into what mods you can do that will work for a supercharger as well. Things like an air intake, IMRC deletes (for some superchargers), and NA cams are gonna get replaced anyway. If you plan it out in the long run, you will gain power a little slower, but youll end up saving money in the long run and end up better down the road.

#13 ·
If you plan to supercharge your car later on down the road and want to to minor mods now, I can recommend a couple different options. If you plan to get a Saleen, you could get a Steeda/tuner package which can be used with the Saleen. If you plan to get a vortech or paxton, you could always just to a tuner now. 80% of your power and increased drivability comes from the tuner and 20% comes from the intake. Just some options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.