Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I have a question that i couldnt find a decent answer for:

I recently got my v6 pony package shipped all the way to Israel from the states :). I got the car with the FRPP Dual cat-back kit (the one with the bullit mufflers). one thing i need to clear out:

Do i gain any performance from this kit on a un-tuned completely stock car? or do i lose any torque/hp? i've been hearing all kinds of answers for months now and its driving me a little crazy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Hi everybody, I have a question that i couldnt find a decent answer for:

I recently got my v6 pony package shipped all the way to Israel from the states :). I got the car with the FRPP Dual cat-back kit (the one with the bullit mufflers). one thing i need to clear out:

Do i gain any performance from this kit on a un-tuned completely stock car? or do i lose any torque/hp? i've been hearing all kinds of answers for months now and its driving me a little crazy.

Thanks.
You won't get a power increase with the Exhaust. It will sound better though. There was a package which added to the dual exhaust a FRPP CAI and Tune which would have added a few more ponies.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You won't get a power increase with the Exhaust. It will sound better though. There was a package which added to the dual exhaust a FRPP CAI and Tune which would have added a few more ponies.
The package still exists. this is part of the package. But doesnt a kit like this have some effect on the performance? btw i got the car with the kit installed. I just don't have an access to a dyno here.

·
Registered
910 Posts
So you bought a V6 mustang with the pony package option from the dealer then. Good way to do it. To add some power you will need to tune it for a higher grade of fuel. A tune and / or a bolt on air induction will add HP.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
adding an aftermarket muffler or going dual will net you about 10 ponies

if you plan on getting a tune, you might as well get a CAI/tuner combo and that will net you about (give or take a few) 25 horsepower

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you bought a V6 mustang with the pony package option from the dealer then. Good way to do it. To add some power you will need to tune it for a higher grade of fuel. A tune and / or a bolt on air induction will add HP.
I didnt get what u ment. We bought it used (it already had the package ofcourse), installed the cat-back and brought it to israel. its a long painfull process, but we wanted to b unique since there are very few mustangs here. owning one here is pretty incredible and u get lots of thumbs up. as for the power, i know that tuning together with exhaust/cai is the real deal, but i cant bring the frpp tuner here, because it is not legal to tune or do anything to ur car (they will hold the tuner at the customs). even my cat-back is basically not legal, but it doesnt bother anyone since the cats exist. thats why i wanted to know what effect the cat-back gives without any tune. and silver, the numbers u gave seem way too high for cai/exhaust.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I didnt get what u ment. We bought it used (it already had the package ofcourse), installed the cat-back and brought it to israel. its a long painfull process, but we wanted to b unique since there are very few mustangs here. owning one here is pretty incredible and u get lots of thumbs up. as for the power, i know that tuning together with exhaust/cai is the real deal, but i cant bring the frpp tuner here, because it is not legal to tune or do anything to ur car (they will hold the tuner at the customs). even my cat-back is basically not legal, but it doesnt bother anyone since the cats exist. thats why i wanted to know what effect the cat-back gives without any tune. and silver, the numbers u gave seem way too high for cai/exhaust.
for a cold air intake and a 93 race tune from bama, cars with 5 speed transmissions show about a 25 hp increas over stock depending on brand of cai, what shape the engine is in, etc. for an auto car it would be more like 20 rwhp for the cai/tune and 5-10 for the catback.

your stock muffler on the v6 is extremely restrictive, so upgrading to an aftermarket muffler or duals, lets your car breathe a lot better, thus more horses. gains of up to 10 rwhp have been seen

again, it all depends on the brand, and the car, all cars and engines are different, so not every car will see a 20 hp increase, some may only see 15, while others may see 25.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
for a cold air intake and a 93 race tune from bama, cars with 5 speed transmissions show about a 25 hp increas over stock depending on brand of cai, what shape the engine is in, etc. for an auto car it would be more like 20 rwhp for the cai/tune and 5-10 for the catback.

your stock muffler on the v6 is extremely restrictive, so upgrading to an aftermarket muffler or duals, lets your car breathe a lot better, thus more horses. gains of up to 10 rwhp have been seen

again, it all depends on the brand, and the car, all cars and engines are different, so not every car will see a 20 hp increase, some may only see 15, while others may see 25.
The thing is i heards lots of opinions that said that the 4.0L stock exhaust is actually in its best size stock and that a cat-back kit can actually decrease your performance if the car isn't tuned to it by losing the right mixture. I just want a clear answer about whats true.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
The thing is i heards lots of opinions that said that the 4.0L stock exhaust is actually in its best size stock and that a cat-back kit can actually decrease your performance if the car isn't tuned to it by losing the right mixture. I just want a clear answer about whats true.
the stock v6 exhaust SIZE is in its best size, and that size being 2.5" piping. if you were to upgrade to 3" piping or anything bigger, then you would be hurting it by losing back pressure. what is true is that going duals will not yeild anymore power than if you just slap on a less restrictive single muffler on a v6

what i said was restrictive was the muffler, not the diameter of the pipes. duals will not make you lose any power, if you keep the pipes 2.5 inches wide.

as far as the tune goes, you do not need a tune for a new catback system (unless you go long tube headers, and catless pipes, then i have no idea if you need a tune or not). all i know is your aftermarket catback system definitely should NOT be costing you power if it is 2.5 inch piping. i know i did not lose any power when i was running no tune and dual violators. and as far as the right mixture? the right mixture of what? its just exhaust gasses, that NEED to come out, so anybody go ahead and feel free to correct me, but i am 99.999999% sure that dual exhaust will NOT make you lose power OR require a tune.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You will regain about some horsepower and torque. The stock V6 muffler is terrible.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, thx. I think it is better than just changing the muffler cause it cuts the y and connects directly to the cats with an x-pipe so wouldnt it better than just changing the muffler? do u know the size of the frpp kit? is it 2.25 for each pipe?

Also, when the exhaust is less restricted and exhaust gasses come out more easily, doesnt it make the engine get more air to the mixture?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Some one must be able to flash the PCM

as for the power, i know that tuning together with exhaust/cai is the real deal, but i cant bring the frpp tuner here, because it is not legal to tune or do anything to ur car (they will hold the tuner at the customs).
Odd because the FRPP tuner does not allow you to do any thing except load in the Ford Racing tune which is 50 State Legal. And I can't imagine any place in the world which is more Anal about that sort of thing than California. Maybe a work around would be to ship the tuner to someone in Egypt. Then take a road trip one weekend. Or... send the computer out for repair. (new tune). Maybe Customs doesn't have that on their black list. If they did, sorry for any one who needs a new one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Odd because the FRPP tuner does not allow you to do any thing except load in the Ford Racing tune which is 50 State Legal. And I can't imagine any place in the world which is more Anal about that sort of thing than California. Maybe a work around would be to ship the tuner to someone in Egypt. Then take a road trip one weekend. Or... send the computer out for repair. (new tune). Maybe Customs doesn't have that on their black list. If they did, sorry for any one who needs a new one.
Lol those are nice ideas but it doesn't work like that, especially the idea with egypt lol (i cant even get there becoz im a soldier and it kinda makes a mess). It is possible to bring it some way, but i dont know if its worth it right now, plus it will make me move to a higher octance and as u probably guess its a lot more expensive down here. So im down to the question if it requires a tune or not for gaining some ponies, and i've got a few positive and negative so far.

Its probably not on their black list, but they will start asking questions and i have no idea if i'll manage to release it or not. everything related to cars kinda suck here, no culture at all, not dragstrips, no race courses at all, not to mention 98% of the cars here are pure rice.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry for bringing this up again, but im having a bit trouble finding the diameter of the frpp catback. is it 2.25? or 2.5?
Thanx.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Sorry for bringing this up again, but im having a bit trouble finding the diameter of the frpp catback. is it 2.25? or 2.5?
Thanx.
it should be 2.5, i beleive at the cats it is 2.25, but then immediately expands to 2.5 for the midpipe and muffler system. somebody double check me

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
if youre looking for huge performance gains....some kind of f/i is the only way to go. if it says "this mod adds 25hp!" that mean it might add 25hp at the flywheel...get it to the wheels..mayb 8 or 9. not a huge noticable difference. a tune and cai along with the exhaust u got will save you some gas mileage however, but thats about it

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if youre looking for huge performance gains....some kind of f/i is the only way to go. if it says "this mod adds 25hp!" that mean it might add 25hp at the flywheel...get it to the wheels..mayb 8 or 9. not a huge noticable difference. a tune and cai along with the exhaust u got will save you some gas mileage however, but thats about it
im not looking for a huge gain, 8 or 9 to the wheel is awesome for a cat-back, i dont think im even close to that gain. I just wanted to know how does it affect the 4.0 engine, but i guess its very random and the only way to know is to dyno.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
im not looking for a huge gain, 8 or 9 to the wheel is awesome for a cat-back, i dont think im even close to that gain. I just wanted to know how does it affect the 4.0 engine, but i guess its very random and the only way to know is to dyno.
trust me, any aftermarket 2.5'' catback system is going to yeild you 8-10 rwhp.

the only thing is 8-10 rwhp really isnt that much, so you may not feel it and therefore you dont think its there, but it is

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanx.

I just purchased this 2.5 pipes 3.5 tips

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.