Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy I have an 08 V6 Mustang.

With a K and N CAI, Flowmaster Exhaust, SCT SF3 Tuner ( 93 Octane Tune ) and Was running on 5-30 Conventional oil.... just Switched to Full Synthetic about 1000 Miles ago... Is there Any Possible way I can Swith Back ? What are the Risks ? Reasons people say you cant go back ?

Why is there like a plastic smell After driving it pretty hard ?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
You should be using what the manual calls for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which is DuraBlend... But would It Hurt my Engine to Go from FUll SYNTHETIC TO MIX

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Which is DuraBlend... But would It Hurt my Engine to Go from FUll SYNTHETIC TO MIX
No it won't hurt anything.
The GT calls for synthetic blend, I switch that with full synthetic every other change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, But It WOULD hurt to go back to Conventional ?
I just Dont run the 93 Octane tune 100% of the time ... gas can get expensive.

And any idea bout the plastic smell haha ?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
you should never run conventional oil in these mustangs regardless of the octane. look real close all around the exaust manifolds, cats and pipes. see if anything got too close.

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Why would you want to run conventional?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doesnt Really matter I just got into to big or a hype and decided to go full synthetic because of my tune and other mods and its expensive and idk if its best for my car

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
Doesnt Really matter I just got into to big or a hype and decided to go full synthetic because of my tune and other mods and its expensive and idk if its best for my car
synthetic blend is not that much more. I would not use plain conventional. It breaks down quicker and will cause gumming/sludging among others.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Synthetic oil produces less engine wear than conventional oils. Why in the heck would you want to switch back for??? Longer engine life vs moderate engine life... It's a no-brainer for me. Synthetic Oil ALL the way! I use Ford's Synthetic 5W30 oil in my 07 V6. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys , i just didnt want to be running oil thats to good for what i need .

·
Registered
786 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
how long did u run conventional oil before changing? usually....you shouldn't hop between oils...stick with what u have used all along. basic rule of thumb....use what it came with from the factory. penzoil 5w30 is what i use. nothing fancy

·
Registered
889 Posts
The plastic smell you're getting could be the oil. Full synthetic oil smells like hot plastic. Are you getting blowback through the PCV valve, oil filter leaking, oil dripped on a crossmember when you changed it or anything like that? If you got a little oil on a crossmember while changing the filter, you could be heating it up and burning it off when you drive it hard.

As for changing back, I'd stick with the synthetic. I use synthetic in all my vehicles (05 Mustang, 90 Bronco, 00 Corvette). Even my 2 stroke ATV and snowmobile uses synthetic oil in its tanks which gets mixed in with the fuel and the snowmobile routinely runs at 7300rpm. Synthetic lasts longer, lubricates better and allows the engine to run a little cooler because there's less friction and sludge buildup over time. There's a slew of products on the market like slick50 (can't remember the names of all of them) that you add to conventional oil to try to make it behave like a full synthetic oil but none of them work as well as just using synthetic to begin with.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.