Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The goal here is improved drivability, better (or same) economy. This is my daily driver, commuter, and long distance cruiser. Peak performance is NOT the goal. Durability is also important. I fully expect to be driving this car 100K miles from now. I don't want to spend a lot of bux and down time on repairs.

In stock form, the car runs pretty good. It gets good gas mileage on mid grade fuel. It's quiet and comfortable on the highway. I wanted to retain all that; or at least most of it. I've driven the car about 600 miles, so I had a pretty good idea of what needs to be better.

I did a lot of research in a lot of places. Looked at the cost:benifit ratio. After considerable thought, these three areas need to be addressed: 1. Retune the stock computer. That's really the key component on these computer controlled cars. 2. Cold air is good air. 3. If the air moves in, it must move out.

1 & 2: I contacted Brenspeed and purchased a tuner and Mac CAI. Other brands may produce a few extra ponies. But they are also more $$. Gotta have balance. How much is 3hp worth? Installation and re-program took about an hour.

3. Bought a pair of GT take off mufflers on e-bay for $40. Took me about 30 minutes to install. The hangers are a little differant on the '08's. Didn't even need to jack up the car.

Wow! I have a new car! It feels much better. Easier to drive, with a little more low end torqe. The Butt-O-Meter demonstrated a significant improvement in the mid range. The drive by wire throttle behaves much better now. Pulls better out of the corners, too. I just got back from a trip to Denver. Gas mileage is the same, or maybe a smidgen better; certainly not worse.

The sound is also a lot better. When on the throttle there's that sound I love so much. Cruising down the highway or the city street it sounds just as quiet as before. No droning at all.

I'm very happy with these simple changes. This is the way the car was supposed to run from the start. Relativly inexpensive. Easy to do with simple hand tools. Easy to change back.

Next, lowering springs. Maybe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cool. Nice to hear. I got me the flowmaster exhaust and it sounds nice for the cost as well. I got a question about the CAI. Is it worth it and what exactly are the benefits?? also did you have to tune the car after putting in the CAI?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Glad to see those mods worked out for you! The tune on the computer is able to help with the throttle by wire? That sounds like what I need! I have cold air and a lovely exhaust, I always felt like that throttle was a little lacking.

I think my next mod will also be lowering springs. I've heard several good things about Eibach's pro-kit:
1. retained daily driveability
2. great stance
3. great back road performance

I was also thinking bigger (17" or 18") wheels and better tires. Those Traction T/A's aren't the best traction around. In 05 I was asking for all the things that came standard on a Pony Package the next year, like the bullit wheels and Pirelli tires!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The CAI probably didn't make much of a differance this week. It's already pretty cold out. It was snowing on the way home this afternoon. However, once it starts getting hot, it will make more of a differance.

I read a good story by MM&FF (I think) comparing all the CAI kits on the market. On a GT, they all made around 20-25 ft/lbs. On a V6 I'd expect similar percentages of improvement. After reading the article, I chose the Mac kit.

Did I have to do a tune? I don't know, I didn't try it without a tune. If I had to choose one over the other, I'd pick the tune. It can really make a huge improvement on these new cars. Kind of like optimizing the timing and fuel curve on an old Mustang.

And since everything is controlled by the CPU now, it can also make improvements on aut trans shifts, throttle control, TCS, and ABS systems. Pretty much anything that's controlled by the CPU can be adjusted if you know how.

If you do absolutly nothing else to your car, get a tune.

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Nice to see they worked for you. The mod bug is going around.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
the stock air box is actually not to bad... until about 4000 RPM.. that's where the aftermarket CAI start to show their gains...

if you are looking for improved handling without a big drop, I would look at the H&R sport springs.. mild drop (just under and inch) and a BIG improvement over the MUSHY stock springs...

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think my next mod will also be lowering springs. I've heard several good things about Eibach's pro-kit:
1. retained daily driveability
2. great stance
3. great back road performance

I was also thinking bigger (17" or 18") wheels and better tires.

Take a look at my avitar, I have the pro-kit springs, and 18 inch gt takeoffs for wheels with 255/50/18's it does handle much better and the look is a good compromise between the radical low rider and the stock mustang. Now I need the sway bars to complete the deal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend the sway bars. It turned my mustang into quite the handler compared to before. You see a world of difference once the rear end is tied together. I'd say it was the biggest improvement per dollar that I've gotten so far. (I love all my mods though). I like those wheels, I think I might go with black bullits for my ride.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
the tuner is a real must for an auto trans. It makes the car handle like a whole different animal. Plus there are a dozen parameters that you can change via the hand-held tuner.

·
Registered
22 Posts
got a question about a tuner. When i drive my 06 V6 automatic for a long period of time for about 15 miles using cruise control without pushing on the break or gas once i get to a red light i stop. once the light turns green the car hesitates when i push on the gas. i was wondering will a tune help this??
Thanks
-Tyler

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
got a question about a tuner. When i drive my 06 V6 automatic for a long period of time for about 15 miles using cruise control without pushing on the break or gas once i get to a red light i stop. once the light turns green the car hesitates when i push on the gas. i was wondering will a tune help this??
Thanks
-Tyler
nope... this sounds like the dreaded fuel pump issue... there is a TSB for it... don't remember the number off hand... you should have the dealership replace your fuel pump..

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
FYI... The TSBs are all posted as a sticky in the 2005+ tech section.
sorry... i have an anxiety complex that keeps me out of the GT tech section... i stay safe in my little V6 world... LOL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.