Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm planning on putting a T-lok. I was thinking on going with the Ford Racing one. Are there any more recommended t-lok's for the V6? Is there anything I have to know before buying one of these? And how hard is the installation?

Thanx!

·
Registered
590 Posts
i went with a 8.8 new take-off rearend with 3.73 gears and t-lock.it cost alittle more than just t-lock and gears, but i know i don't have to worry about breaking it from too much power. other than that i believe that auburn makes a good positrac unit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's only possible for me to get the T-lok alone. I'm also not interested in gears and I'm not putting enough power to worry about lol.

Does anyone know what are the locking % on this unit?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i went with a 8.8 new take-off rearend with 3.73 gears and t-lock.it cost alittle more than just t-lock and gears, but i know i don't have to worry about breaking it from too much power. other than that i believe that auburn makes a good positrac unit.

I think there is almost a $600.00 price difference between just a t-lok and 3.73 gears from say Americanmuscle vs an 8.8 rearend with those components from newtakeoff.com Thats even with a new bearing kit from AM and includes ground shipping. Not to mention install. :headscratch:

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I think there is almost a $600.00 price difference between just a t-lok and 3.73 gears from say Americanmuscle vs an 8.8 rearend with those components from newtakeoff.com Thats even with a new bearing kit from AM and includes ground shipping. Not to mention install. :headscratch:
that price is about right if you are also talking installation of the t-lok by a shop vs. installation of the 8.8 by yourself. you can get just the t-lok for about 200.00. still need the install kit 75.00. alot of guys have done that swap themselves as its alot easier than setting gears. just pulling the diff is pretty easy and not too bad, swapping the ring gear, pressing new carrier bearings onto the t lok and re-install. the parts are made to spec, and you should be fine with the swap.

worse case, and its a small chance, you`ll need someone to check the backlash and shim the diff to adjust it if needed. theres a thread on this by shinerstang( i think) in the other v6 tech forum.

changing a set of gears is a whole different story, and i would recommend a shop. :)

if you think you are comfortable with pulling your axles, i say go for it. if not, it should not cost near as much as getting gears installed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.