Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying some longtube headers for my Mustang. The only mods are a Shelby x-pipe, Borla axle backs, and Whipple HO supercharger. I have the stock tune that Whipple gives you. Besides having the rear O2's turned off, (I'm going with O/R H) do I need to have it tuned? Money is sort of a problem for me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
Yes I think you do, but someone else can probably answer more definitively.

Judging by your mods list, apparently money is not that big of a problem! ;)

How do you like that beast as a daily driver? I know this is a silly question, but -- what kind of gas mileage do you get?

My stang is my dd too, I often fantasize about a supercharger, but rarely use the 300 HP I already have and don't want to lose too much efficiency.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping otherwise... lol. I bought it with the mods done. I may spend the money I have right now on some gauges instead and save up for the headers later.

That's not a silly question at all. 99% of my driving is city driving, and with a N/A mustang I got 16mpg. With a supercharged one, I get between 13 and 15 averaging 14.2 is what the computer has said over the last 2,000 miles or so. Highway, It'll average around 21mpg. I've got 3.73 gears vs. your 3.31. You may get better mpg.

You might feel that way now, but once you've got a supercharger, you will love it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Awwwww.... I average 14.5 mpg with my GT in the city and it's almost bone stock :(
But then again...I enjoy every single moment I put my foot down :gringreen

I might have to think about getting a supercharger if my mileage isn't going to change. Lol

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
I'm planning on buying some longtube headers for my Mustang. The only mods are a Shelby x-pipe, Borla axle backs, and Whipple HO supercharger. I have the stock tune that Whipple gives you. Besides having the rear O2's turned off, (I'm going with O/R H) do I need to have it tuned? Money is sort of a problem for me.

Thanks.
I suspect that it might run okay without the tune, but I don't think it's worth risking the chance of running lean under boost. I'd go ahead and get the tune just to be on the safe side.

I would suggest for you to call UPR Products at 561.588.6630 and ask for Jeremy Martorella. He's been tuning these cars forever, and he can give you a definitive answer. But I think he's going to recommend this tuner with free tunes for life: 1994-2011 4.6L 5.0L Ford Mustang SCT XCalibrator X3 SF3 Hand Held Tuner - Free Tunes for Life - UPR Products

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect that it might run okay without the tune, but I don't think it's worth risking the chance of running lean under boost. I'd go ahead and get the tune just to be on the safe side.

I would suggest for you to call UPR Products at 561.588.6630 and ask for Jeremy Martorella. He's been tuning these cars forever, and he can give you a definitive answer. But I think he's going to recommend this tuner with free tunes for life: 1994-2011 4.6L 5.0L Ford Mustang SCT XCalibrator X3 SF3 Hand Held Tuner - Free Tunes for Life - UPR Products
Thanks for that, I will shop around some. I think I'll be waiting a while on the longtubes, if this is the case.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yes..... and Save your money, because a Custom Dyno Tune would be in order at this point !! :yup:

·
Registered
36 Posts

Thanks.
Rick,

Are you on the stock short block? I was leaning towards getting the Whipple HO kit myself. I'm still on the fence on a custom tune. I've heard the FRPP canned tune is pretty safe, which is what I want to be. I don't want to frag my engine! But there's lots of other off the shelf tunes out there also.

I'd get a set of gauges first before the exhaust. I'm getting a wideband, oil and water temp and boost. Just my .02

Let us know how it goes either way!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rick,

Are you on the stock short block? I was leaning towards getting the Whipple HO kit myself. I'm still on the fence on a custom tune. I've heard the FRPP canned tune is pretty safe, which is what I want to be. I don't want to frag my engine! But there's lots of other off the shelf tunes out there also.

I'd get a set of gauges first before the exhaust. I'm getting a wideband, oil and water temp and boost. Just my .02

Let us know how it goes either way!
It is an extremely safe tune. So safe, that you can get about 30rwhp out of the car with nothing but a dyno tune.

I plan to buy the Aeroforce gauges, and then buy sensors for the boost and A/F. Aeroforce Interceptor Gauges : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts