Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious, for all the glass roof mustang owners, have you had any problems with it (creaks, leaks, too hot inside, shade not enough, etc.). I'll be in the market for a mustang in the next year or so and like the glass roof option, but I'll be having this car for the long term. I want the glass roof to last and not be something that I regret getting.

·
Registered
225 Posts
MustangGT/CSOwner

I am currently in the market for a convertible, very possibly a 2011 V6 to put beside my 2007 GT/CS. I considered a glass roof car, but had to see one first. Once I did, I dismissed the idea. It was too "greenhouse" like. It let the sun in, but did not provide the outdoor feeling that convertibles do. If you like the glass roof, I'm not going to talk you out of it. However, if you're looking for a convertible alternative, I think you'll be disappointed. :yelwacko:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'd buy it again for certain. I usually keep the shade shut on sunny days because it's too much light for me. But it's open on cloudy days or at night.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've never driven a Mustang with the glass top, but there is nothing like a good 'ole convertible. I've had t-tops, sunroofs, etc, and nothing compares to a convertible. For a GT, I would spend the $2k they charge for the glass roof elswhere.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've seen several Mustang glasstops, and really don't get it. I have had 4 cars with t-tops, '77 Cutlass, '86 Monte Carlo SS, '88 IROC-Z and '99 Trans Am. Other than the'77, which leaked even when it was not raining, the t-tops were great, and I would love to get them in a Mustang, but the great part was they could be removed. The glasstop just does not do it for me.

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so, any problems with it getting really hot inside or, more importantly, any creaks or groans that have already developed? thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I've talked to two guys with glass tops and both really like them.

·
Registered
419 Posts
It's tinted, but it does get hot inside on sunny days like today. Keeping the shade shut really cuts down on the heat a lot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have it on mine and love it. The sun shade works great. It gives the cabin a more open feeling.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Love it, idk wouldn't have bought the car without it. 35% tint it all flows FTW

·
Registered
51 Posts
I noticed that the shade is kind of "opaque." Just wondering if on really hot sunny days whether you still feel the sun beating down on you or whether it filters it out enough? I can see probably closing it when it's really sunny and keeping it open on cloudy days and at nights. Tough decision...

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have the Classic Concepts Design aftermarket glass roof on my '08 and really like it. As long as it's available, I will get it. No, it doesn't give you the wind in your hair like a convertible but, it also doesn't give you sunburn either.

My best description is...it gives you the light of a convertible without the heat of the day and the comfiness of air conditioning. Plus, it's brighter than a hard top when it's cloudy or rainy. There is no sliding shade in the CDC Glass Roof. Full time light.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Since my 1st reply in this thread I bought a 2nd Mustang with the glass roof, so I guess that answers the OP's question!

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
If it's anything like the Vista roof on my wife's 2011 Edge I would love it on a Mustang.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I put the Glassback on my '07 & love it. If I knew Ford was going to offer them factory on the '09 I would have waited. Somewhere down the road I plan to pick up an '09 glass roof car to build for my daughter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought a 2010 with a glass roof and I love it. It rained yesterday and it's kind of crazy driving in the rain with the "top down". Very nice!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the Classic Concepts Design aftermarket glass roof on my '08 and really like it. As long as it's available, I will get it. No, it doesn't give you the wind in your hair like a convertible but, it also doesn't give you sunburn either.

My best description is...it gives you the light of a convertible without the heat of the day and the comfiness of air conditioning. Plus, it's brighter than a hard top when it's cloudy or rainy. There is no sliding shade in the CDC Glass Roof. Full time light.
can you post some pics

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I've had a few cars with "sunroof" or "moonroof" options, and pretty consistently neglected to unshade them. I suppose if the investment were greater - like for the Mustang glass back thing - I'd be certain to "open" it more often.

I've had a number of convertibles, and almost never opt for the closed version when the conditions permitted, and often when they didn't, really.

I wouldn't try to sell anyone on a convertible: you do or you don't, y' know? As for the glass top, it seems to me it would be a lot quieter than a closed convertible, which may be important to some.

I wonder if any of the racing associations have rules about glass tops. Back in the day there were rules about sun- and moon-roofs. The local drag-race group doesn't seem to care, but they will require a closed-face helmet in open convertibles. Go figure.

For the same money, if I didn't expect to track it, I'd take the glass top. Unless the installation reduces head room: I'm pretty close to the roof even without that kind of intrusion.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I've had a few cars with "sunroof" or "moonroof" options, and pretty consistently neglected to unshade them. I suppose if the investment were greater - like for the Mustang glass back thing - I'd be certain to "open" it more often.

I've had a number of convertibles, and almost never opt for the closed version when the conditions permitted, and often when they didn't, really.

I wouldn't try to sell anyone on a convertible: you do or you don't, y' know? As for the glass top, it seems to me it would be a lot quieter than a closed convertible, which may be important to some.

I wonder if any of the racing associations have rules about glass tops. Back in the day there were rules about sun- and moon-roofs. The local drag-race group doesn't seem to care, but they will require a closed-face helmet in open convertibles. Go figure.

For the same money, if I didn't expect to track it, I'd take the glass top. Unless the installation reduces head room: I'm pretty close to the roof even without that kind of intrusion.
I have to agree with you there. I really like the glass roofs and I would love to have one, but if it gave me any less headroom I don't think I would go for it

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2009 with a Glass Roof and couldn't imaine owning another Mustang w/o one. It actually has a more headroom than the regular roof when open and about the same when closed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts