Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning!

My wife and I are trying to score a leftover '09 GT Convertible. We'd REALLY like to not have a hood scoop (She doesn't like them at all, I could take it or leave it). However all the cars that our dealer is able to find with the options we like also have hood scoops.

We're looking for Vapor Silver, but would also consider Brilliant Silver, Torch Red, Alloy, and Maybe Vista Blue.

My question is - what are the chances of us finding someone somewhat local to swap hoods with? I know we could fill the holes and paint, but I really don't want the car to start it's life with a post-painted hood on it.

Any thoughts on our chances of finding someone?

Thanks
Robb

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm not sure those cosmetic scoops are even mounted with screws (holes in the hood), I thought they were just attached with 3M tape. If that's the case, just use some fishing line or dental floss to remove it. Or request the dealer remove it as part of the deal.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I'm not sure those cosmetic scoops are even mounted with screws (holes in the hood), I thought they were just attached with 3M tape. If that's the case, just use some fishing line or dental floss to remove it. Or request the dealer remove it as part of the deal.
I believe with the stock hood scoop there are holes in the hood. I was looking at CDC's shaker and they had a note on there that it would not cover the holes in the hood from the stock hood scoop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it sounds crazy, but they have like 8 holes in the hood for that scoop. We checked into that already. 4 screw holes and like 4 pin holes to align it during install.

On a bright note, the dealer finall found us one without the scoop so we're good to go. Only thing it didn't have is the cloth top :( But oh well.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I just got off the phone, with the local Ford Dealer. Spoke to John in parts, and he tells me that the scoops are held on with 3M tape. That's an easy job to do, don't use a heat gun but a hair-dryer. It doesn't generate as much heat, and just keep running it back and forth on the sides until you feel it starting to lift. When your able to lift it, if there is any leftover tape stuck to the hood, use goo gone. Let it sit for a while, then wipe it away and polish to bring your shine back, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
937 Posts
I've been trying to do the same thing! I want mine scoopless and wingless.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I just got off the phone, with the local Ford Dealer. Spoke to John in parts, and he tells me that the scoops are held on with 3M tape. That's an easy job to do, don't use a heat gun but a hair-dryer. It doesn't generate as much heat, and just keep running it back and forth on the sides until you feel it starting to lift. When your able to lift it, if there is any leftover tape stuck to the hood, use goo gone. Let it sit for a while, then wipe it away and polish to bring your shine back, Mike. SCT Tuner.:bigthumbsup
Must be a year dependent thing then, my 07 has screws.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
the GT appearance factory hood scoop has tape and bolts holding it down. You'd have marks. I believe that you can add a shakker hood scoop system and it will cut away th holes but don't quote me.

Place an add in the classifieds and see what you get. just as a friendly reminder since i see that you are new here, there are no transactions allowed to occur on the open forums. Classifieds and through PM's only plz. thank you and a belated welcome:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Tell the dealer to knock off more money because you don't want a scoop. If he wants to make the sale.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They found us one without :) Only thing it didn't have was the cloth top, but I guess that's not a big deal. And thanks for the welcome! This will be our first 'Stang in a while, since we bought our '98 Chrome Yellow Cobra new back in '98.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
from what people are saying, the newer cars dont have bolts for the scoop. easy enough to tell by pulling a couple push pins for the hood blanket and looking at the hood from the underside. tell the sales guy you want the blanket off your hood. they are about 100.00, and the factory scoop is around 300.00( not painted)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.