Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed a C&L street cold air intake on my 2009 GT. During the installation I forgot to disconnect the neg. battery terminal so the computer would reset. So the next morning when I remembered and I did for about 30 seconds then reconnected it. My first question is was this a long enough time for the computer to reset itself.
Later when I took it out for a drive it seemed that the gas mileage was getting worse then I had gotten before. (I know they are supposed to improve gas mileage) Does it take the computer X number of miles before it can properly adjust and things go back to normal?
P.S. I used the insert so I didn't have to use a tune for now, so it is on the factory settings

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I would disconnect the battery for at least a half hour.
You won't necessarily get better gas mileage with the CAI. There is a difference between these engines. Especially without a tune.

I have a CAI with a tune, the gas mileage is the same as I had before the tune.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
The next mod you do should be to get a programmer and proper tune for your intake, it's well worth the money spent. From my experience, a good tune specifically for your intake will make more of a difference than the intake by itself ever will.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the insert in now so I don't need a tune. But I probably will get a tune down the road. Just for the time being, and the car not even a year old, I don't want to risk too much on messing with the factory warranty. I researched some other threads and then looked in the owners manual and it gives a brief overview of what to do if the battery become disconnected:

1. Reconnect new battery
2. set parking brake
3. put in park/neutral and turn off all accessories and then start the engine
4. run engine until it reaches normal operating temperature
5. allow the engine to idle for at least one minute
6. turn on the A/C and allow engine to idle for at least one minute
7. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.
- the vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles or more to relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy

So tonight I will try this and see if things start to look better, performance wise.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I have the insert in now so I don't need a tune. But I probably will get a tune down the road. Just for the time being, and the car not even a year old, I don't want to risk too much on messing with the factory warranty. I researched some other threads and then looked in the owners manual and it gives a brief overview of what to do if the battery become disconnected:

1. Reconnect new battery
2. set parking brake
3. put in park/neutral and turn off all accessories and then start the engine
4. run engine until it reaches normal operating temperature
5. allow the engine to idle for at least one minute
6. turn on the A/C and allow engine to idle for at least one minute
7. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process.
- the vehicle may need to be driven 10 miles or more to relearn the idle and fuel trim strategy

So tonight I will try this and see if things start to look better, performance wise.
You might see a little difference but not much. Let us know if that works for you.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everything seemed to go well. Idle is good and the gas mileage seemed to come back up. I am going on a little 2 day trip this weekend so that will be a chance to really test it, put some miles on and maybe get to see if she responds better when asked to accelerate fast. I keep you posted on early next week. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
:bigthumbsupYou know playing with the throttle will decrease your mileage but it's still fun.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after a nice drive today (about 80 miles) i averaged 25.5 mpg. This was mostly back roads around 40-50mph. This was slightly better than I was getting before. I noticed that at low rpm ranges (1000-2000rpm) in 5th gear I seemed to have less torque than before. I was driving on hilly terrian and at some points had to actually down shift to 4th. This is something I never had to do before...is this common with CAI, possibly because I didn't use tune? Also, I now notice that right around 1200-1300 rpm, there is a buzzing in the engine. It is only at this specific rpm and has always been there but has gotten more predominant since the intake install. Does anyone else have this issue and any idea how to fix it? I am still using 87 octane fuel so maybe I should step it up? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
Yes the CAI with no tune will cause a slight decrease in torque. With you still running 87 won't help. You want to watch running in 5gear at low RPMs. You don't want to lug that engine.
The best way to check fuel milage is the entire take full.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just installed my new CAI today and its running rough now. I am resetting the computer now had to go to a bday for dinner so didnt have the time. Should I switch to a higher octane gas or stick with 87?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.