Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are picking up our 2009 GT 'vert next week and we want to lower the car a bit. Love the car, but not big on the stance. What is the best overall "Daily Driver" spring/shock setup? The car will NOT be tracked, it will be driven to work by my wife 90% of the time and taken on road trips here and there.

Any suggestions on this use?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't think there is a lowered spring package that will get you anywhere near the soft ride of the factory setup.

The smaller the drop, the more spring you will have and the softer the ride. If you don't like feeling the road, you won't like any dropped spring. It won't be too incredibly bad if you have 17 or 18 inch wheels, but with 20's and just a 3/4"-1" drop (steeda ultralights) the ride quality is quite a bit harsher than stock.

That's not to say it isn't driveable, just that if you have some bad roads you drive on every day you will feel it a lot more if you lower the car. When the weather is nice, I drive every day, and our roads leave a lot to be desired. It does get old if you are on a particularly rough stretch of road for a while though..

Softer shocks don't really help either, they just make the rough roads more bouncy..

·
Registered
432 Posts
Check out the Vogtland springs on J&M Products site, they're priced really well & only claim a 1.3 inch drop. I've got a set on my 07' & am really happy with them. I also put adjustable panhard bar, adjustable UCA & new LCA's. I'm keeping the stock shocks/struts for the time being, as I've only got 13,000 miles on mine & they're still good. When my stock shocks/struts give out, probably going to go with some non-adjustable Tokico's. Posted a couple pics to give you an idea of the ride height.

Or you can just go with a set of rear lowering springs like the Roush (I happen to be selling a set in the classifieds). I have some pics in my gallery when I just had them on the vehicle to give you an idea of the ride height, really leveled the car out.

·
Registered
910 Posts
FRPP Handeling package 1 inch drop.

We are picking up our 2009 GT 'vert next week and we want to lower the car a bit. Love the car, but not big on the stance. What is the best overall "Daily Driver" spring/shock setup? The car will NOT be tracked, it will be driven to work by my wife 90% of the time and taken on road trips here and there.

If it were me, I would have this installed at the dealer before delivery.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10637

Opps, its not for a vert. But perhaps some of it could be used.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I just installed Roush rear springs and left everything else stock. It got rid for the 4x4 rear spring look without effecting the ride too much. I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Im running Steeda Sport springs with Tokico D-Specs, lowered 1" F & 1.25" R. I live in NYC so the roads are miserable, the Sport springs are firm, you may want to go with Steeda ultrilights, same drop but softer spring, its a bit lower in the rear but i never have issues with the front. The nice things about D-Specs is you can adjust the stiffness of the Shock/Strut, i have it at 6 turns from firmest and it gives me just enough cushion to keep my teeth from chattering yet still provides a sporty ride. This is not the cheaper alternative but the parts are of high quality. Check my profile to see what it looks like.

Congrats on the new Stang :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we are coming from owning a WRX, 2 Evo's, and an R32 in the recent past so we can handle it being a little stiffer than factory :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would put Bilstein shocks and struts on since you dont have to reuse parts from the OEM struts as when you are installing Tokico struts and I dont see the need for an adjustible shock if it is a daily driver (how many times will your wife adjust the ride anyway). As far as springs go, I am partial to the OEM look (which I agree give the car a higher stance than most people like)

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well we are coming from owning a WRX, 2 Evo's, and an R32 in the recent past so we can handle it being a little stiffer than factory :)
In that case, the steeda ultralights are a good choice.. light spring, you get about 1" in front, 1 1/4" in back after it settles, and it isn't horrible on the stiffness. Far from a factory ride, but if you don't mind a little "sport spring", you will probably like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Raising a thread from the dead :) After a minor run in with a deer (whoops) I am almost done putting the GT500 bumper on the front, and we're ready to do springs/shocks now. Thanks for all your suggestions. Now the question is, with further reading, what ELSE do I need to do? I keep reading about new UCA and LCA's, correcting pinion angle, etc. Geez! I thought I could just swap springs/dampers, get an alignment, and call it a day.... but I want to make sure it's done right.

I don't really want anything adjustable on the car- We won't change it. I want to set it up properly and go....

·
Registered
26 Posts
from the research i have done i think an adjustable panhard bar (about $110-160 shipped) and some camber bolts (less then $20) should be all you need, you MAY not even need those things depending on how small of a drop you do.

·
Registered
227 Posts

I put in FRPP K springs rated at 1.5 inch drop all around. They actually dropped the rear 1 5/8 inches and the front 1 1/8 inches. Also installed an adj panhard rod to realign the axle with the body. If you don't you may notice one rear wheel sticks out further then the other. Installed camber bolts in the front end to allow more adjustment on the alignment after lowering it. Kept the stock/struts stock for now. Will install Koni STR'T's when time comes. Riding on 20's and don't mind the harshness. Neither does the wife because she's not allowed to drive it! EVER! Good luck with the wife daily driving it to work. Hopefully you won't be cleaning out empty coffee cups, wrappers and trash. Not to mention all the scratches and dings from parking mishaps, fender benders and banging other cars when she opens the door and parking to close to others and they'll ding your doors. I never park within 20 feet of anyone else and never leave my car where I can't see it. But that's just me. How some of you let other people drive your Mustang out of your site is incomprehensible to me! But that's just me! Take a look at my profile to see how the drop looks. It has the same springs the Shelby GT has 5300-k

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the advice!

This girl is a car girl, no worries. She picked it out, it's all hers. She knows I'm gonna tweak it some. She parks far out, doesn't drink coffee in the car, and we have no kids. She picked out the 2003 Evolution too... so how can I complain?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thanks for all the advice!

This girl is a car girl, no worries. She picked it out, it's all hers. She knows I'm gonna tweak it some. She parks far out, doesn't drink coffee in the car, and we have no kids. She picked out the 2003 Evolution too... so how can I complain?
Well if she's a car girl and it's her that's a different story! As long as she keeps it nice and drives it hard that's cool!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She will :)

So what's with all the talk about pinion angle and such on lowered cars? I don't want to find out I've created drivetrain issues down the road?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
She will :)

So what's with all the talk about pinion angle and such on lowered cars? I don't want to find out I've created drivetrain issues down the road?

It seems to me she is only concerned with looks. Just put in the K springs and go. I promise she will never come close to testing the limits of the stock suspension on street tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I figured someone would assume that! Not true.

Her comment was "Can you make it handle a little closer to the Evo, so I can take an on ramp without feeling like I'm going to tip over?"

She likes the spirited handling cars, but the Evo was too much. Just trying to improve it some. She's not going to autocross it, I have an Evo for that if she wants to get into it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I figured someone would assume that! Not true.

Her comment was "Can you make it handle a little closer to the Evo, so I can take an on ramp without feeling like I'm going to tip over?"

She likes the spirited handling cars, but the Evo was too much. Just trying to improve it some. She's not going to autocross it, I have an Evo for that if she wants to get into it.

Putting on a stiffer suspension is not going to make the car go around the on ramp any faster because the street tires will break loose way before the suspension has reached it's limit. Like I said, just put on the K springs and it will make her "feel" like it's faster. :winks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Don't wink at me. Do you just like to sound condescending?

So weight transfer has nothing to do with handling, it's all coefficient of friction huh.

If it doesn't feel like you have control of the car, you don't have control of the car. When the rear end hops out because the suspension is unloaded and you're in a tight turn, it's not fun.

Please find another thread in which to puff out your chest, I'm too old for that kinda stuff.

Thank god there is only one - The Kurgan

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Don't wink at me. Do you just like to sound condescending?

So weight transfer has nothing to do with handling, it's all coefficient of friction huh.

If it doesn't feel like you have control of the car, you don't have control of the car. When the rear end hops out because the suspension is unloaded and you're in a tight turn, it's not fun.

Please find another thread in which to puff out your chest, I'm too old for that kinda stuff.

Thank god there is only one - The Kurgan
LOL sorry if that offended you. I guess I shouldn't argue with Evo lovers eh ? Peace out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.