Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately I'm getting really low MPG, Before my tuning and after it for about 2 weeks thing were fine; but now....
For one when I filled up before it said 350 or so miles to next fill up, now when I fill up it says 230 miles to next fill up... Second no matter how I drive I cant get get the computer to say more than 20MPH average on the highway. Even shortly right after the tuning, i got it to say average 24 MPG and even with me pushing it had....
Could the computer indicator could have gotten messed up??
I mean it's weird that I would loose 20 miles on a fill up..........

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
thats what happends after doing mods to a car lol.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Don't trust the computer. There is no way that Ford put enough moey in that system to make it scietific. Keep track of how may gallons you use and how far you drive. It's the only way to be sure.

Or you could just be getting on it more now that you have the mods. How you drive has a lot to do with MPG. When I am at 80mph on cruise control I get 21mpg. Screwig around I get about 6.;)

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Or you could just be getting on it more now that you have the mods. How you drive has a lot to do with MPG. When I am at 80mph on cruise control I get 21mpg. Screwig around I get about 6.;)
exactly!! when we all do mods we like to get on the car a little more to see what we produced. So maybe your foot is a little heavier lol:shigrin

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i think it was the owners manual that said to get accurate millage you should pull up to the same pump, use the same side of the pump, park in the same spot, let the hose click off the same each time, write down the info and do the math for a few tankfulls, then average those together. i feel pretty good about this cause i can hammer it hard every day on the way home from work and have lots of fun and still get 22.6 on average, computed with paper and pencil :D ( theres a bright side to 2 less cylinders)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Curious if your personal math adds up to same mileage as the computer is telling you, or if you think speedometer or tach is off? If so, did you change gears or anything else besides the tune? Also, if you didn't, did you change any custom settings in the tune that aren't don't in your car? One ex., if you didn't change gears, but changed gear ratio setting in tune, the mpg calculator could be counting wrong revs per mile on tires...

If everything is correct and working well, and engine is running well, I agree with the other guys; the car feels better after the tune, so you're using a little more fuel having more fun driving it.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well today I filled up and reset the MPG meter as I always do after a fill up and afterward I got on the highway my MPGs got all the way up to 27.5......and after a few stop and go city drives it was at 20~21....so I dunno anymore.........

B
0 Posts
Well today I filled up and reset the MPG meter as I always do after a fill up and afterward I got on the highway my MPGs got all the way up to 27.5......and after a few stop and go city drives it was at 20~21....so I dunno anymore.........
If you happened to forget to hit the reset, the computer continues to use all your fuel consumption numbers to compute the averages. That is why it seems like no matter how you are driving it just doesn't want to get over 20mpg. But like the others suggested, if you really want to know it you have to do the math yourself

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.