Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am have a 2009 mustang gt with the 4.6 with a manual. And i am having touble with the RPM's when i let off of the clutch from a dead stop. i have had the car for about 4 months i bought it used and it only had 1600 miles on it. The problem is that no matter what i do the RPM's want to dip down about 500 or so when i let off of the clutch and it doesn't matter if i easy on the gas or if i give a lot of gas. And this loss of RPM's is making the car want to lunge. it even does it when i just let off of the clutch and give it no gas. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem or if i am just that bad of a stick shift driver and need to get some more practice in.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
"Let off the clutch" sounds like an on-off switch. It's more like a rheostat.

There is a matter of coordination between gas pedal and clutch. The gas goes down while the clutch comes up. Some slippage will let the two match without "lunging" There was a time when I was sure I'd never learn to do that at the same time I had to look around and steer and shift gears as well. Eventually it became second nature; it wasn't until I started driving a gear-shift Mustang I again experienced any difficulty (I have difficulty doing the slipping with the clutch and not the rear wheels). It isn't easy, but practice will make it easier.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
If you let the clutch out all at once, it will grab immediately. If you ease it out over a short period of time, it will slip as you increase the throttle opening with the gas pedal, and grab when you are moving fast enough to no longer require slippage.

Try starting in second gear. In order for you to do that, you'll have to slip the clutch a bit more. That is the same principle, but over a longer time, as the car picks up speed. You can even do it in third gear (don't ask how I know), for a more exaggerated effect.

I wouldn't do more second- or third-gear starts than is needed to see the effect working; although the Mustang clutches will take a lot of that kind of abuse without failing, it shouldn't become a habit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.