Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy's, Getting settled into my new 09 GT (Calif Special), and I have a couple of quick questions for you Mustang veterans as this is my first Mustang. O.K., I knew the gas mileage when I first bought it was going to be different than most of my older "other cars" which leads me to my 1st question

1. Does the gas mileage get any better? Yes, I know what it is supposed to get, but it seems like this car sips gas like crazy. A buddy suggested that the engine has to be "broke" in first and that the computer will adjust when this happens. I only have around 350 miles on the car. Does it improve just a little as time goes on? I filled up earlier today, and did just a little running around an a 1/4 of a tank is now gone. Should I adjust my driving style? It is a manual if that helps.

2. I browsed a lot of the aftermarket links from this page, and that leads me to my next question. Should I add things like cold air intake and the like when the car is brand new and still under warranty? Or should I wait on those items until much later?

Thank you guy's (and gals) in advance for any insight you might provide!

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Hey guy's, Getting settled into my new 09 GT (Calif Special), and I have a couple of quick questions for you Mustang veterans as this is my first Mustang. O.K., I knew the gas mileage when I first bought it was going to be different than most of my older "other cars" which leads me to my 1st question
Welcome! I'm not a Mustang veteran, but I know a lot. :bigthumbsup

1. Does the gas mileage get any better? Yes, I know what it is supposed to get, but it seems like this car sips gas like crazy. A buddy suggested that the engine has to be "broke" in first and that the computer will adjust when this happens. I only have around 350 miles on the car. Does it improve just a little as time goes on? I filled up earlier today, and did just a little running around an a 1/4 of a tank is now gone. Should I adjust my driving style? It is a manual if that helps.
Well, what kind of gas mileage are you currently getting? Maybe your expectations are too high! :D There's a way to check your car's specific MPG... Let us know if you don't know how to check!

2. I browsed a lot of the aftermarket links from this page, and that leads me to my next question. Should I add things like cold air intake and the like when the car is brand new and still under warranty? Or should I wait on those items until much later?

Oh brother. The age old question. :so :gringreen
Here's the deal... I'm going to flat out tell you it all. If you do a mod to your Stang, a problem arises later down the road, and the mod you did caused or was effected by the problem, Ford is 99% chance not going to cover it.

Nonetheless, 100s of people on here are still under warranty and have done TONS of stuff to their cars! If you have specific questions, ask them here! If you are unaware of what certain parts will do and how much they'll cost to install... Ask em here!!! :bigthumbsup

Once again, welcome to AFM!

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
You can try disconnecting the battery for a half-hour to reset the PCM's adaptive learning. It'll then relearn your driving habits and you may see your mileage improve a little bit. An intake and tune can also help improve mileage (if you can keep your foot out of it!).

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
You can try disconnecting the battery for a half-hour to reset the PCM's adaptive learning. It'll then relearn your driving habits and you may see your mileage improve a little bit. An intake and tune can also help improve mileage (if you can keep your foot out of it!).
Well, 18 mpg could be bad in his opinion. That's what I'm averaging right now... 80% city! WOOOO!!! :D

·
Registered
431 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Get off the clutch :)

Maybe youre riding it and giving it too much gas everytime you shift? I know when my dad drives my car Im like "jeez, quit giving it so much gas and revving to 3k RPMS before every shift!" lol. I think he does it on purpose though.

Bottom line, keep the shifts low( < 2k ), and shift around the suggested shifts(as noted in the instruction manual) and see if your MPGs improve.

I think it's something like:

Shift into-
2nd @ 10
3rd @ 20
4th @ 30
and 5th @ 40.

Pretty sure that's what the manual said.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys, I may have had unrealistic expectations regarding the mileage. Came mostly from v-6 cars and trucks, and sometimes even 4-cyl's. Also, I will look into my shift ranges as well, I may be revving it a little too high before I shift, but dunno, I tend to drive on the more conservative side usually, as I don't like to "dog out" my cars. Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
thanks guys, I may have had unrealistic expectations regarding the mileage. Came mostly from v-6 cars and trucks, and sometimes even 4-cyl's. Also, I will look into my shift ranges as well, I may be revving it a little too high before I shift, but dunno, I tend to drive on the more conservative side usually, as I don't like to "dog out" my cars. Thanks for all the responses!
Just try not to think about it too much...tends to muddy the experience of driving a mustang, hehe.:bigthumbsup I personally hate looking at my avg MPG which is just under 20(and I drive all highway :scratchchin ). But can't complain with 500 hp under the hood.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If gas cost is an issue to you, keep in mind that most tunes will require you to switch to 91 Octane or higher.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah, the gas cost itself is not an issue for me at all. I was just a little suprised as to the amount of gas that it was using. I do think I will try to shift a little earlier than what I am used to, at slightly lower RPMs. Once again all of the advice is appreciated

·
Registered
431 Posts
yeah, the gas cost itself is not an issue for me at all. I was just a little suprised as to the amount of gas that it was using. I do think I will try to shift a little earlier than what I am used to, at slightly lower RPMs. Once again all of the advice is appreciated
If you decide to go with an aftermarket axle back exhaust...........good luck on shifting at lower RPM's! :laugh: I have tried, but the sound of the exhaust is just too appealing & I usually wind it out as long as possible.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Here's my personal experience:

Please refer to my signature for my mods.
I get 26.5 mpg going 70mph on highway.
I get 13 mpg on stop and go city driving.
I have manual and shift from 2500 to 3000 rpm in city driving.

How did I get 26.5 mpg? I reset the ave mpg display while cruising on highway. First the number was really high, then it slowly kept going down, until it stopped at 26.5 mpg for a very long time at 70 mph on cruise control. I don't know how accurate is that but that's what it tells me.

In my case, I don't care much for mpg when I bought her. She's not my daily car.

·
Registered
937 Posts
My mods are in my sig and I usually get 19-20 mpg. That's about 50/50 highway and city and I usually shift at around 3K. I got around 21 mpg bone stock. Your mileage should improve after 2-3000 miles.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

Your gas mileage HIGHLY depends on your right foot and weather you are driving mainly highway or city. My mods are in my sig, and I have seen everything from 15 mpg (city) and 30 mpg (highway) but generally I get between 23 and 25 mpg which is a lot of highway and interstate with my right foot in it. :gringreen
What kind of gas mileage are you currently getting? What were you expecting? Do you drive mostly highway or city?

If gas cost is an issue to you, keep in mind that most tunes will require you to switch to 91 Octane or higher.
Only if you get a 91 or higher tune. You can get a tune for whatever octane you want.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Get off the clutch :)

Maybe youre riding it and giving it too much gas everytime you shift? I know when my dad drives my car Im like "jeez, quit giving it so much gas and revving to 3k RPMS before every shift!" lol. I think he does it on purpose though.

Bottom line, keep the shifts low( < 2k ), and shift around the suggested shifts(as noted in the instruction manual) and see if your MPGs improve.

I think it's something like:

Shift into-
2nd @ 10
3rd @ 20
4th @ 30
and 5th @ 40.

Pretty sure that's what the manual said.
I think it's ten higher for each - 2nd @ 20, .... and 5th @ 50. At least, that's what I recall it saying, and it is how I drive it (unless I'm feeling "expeditious", in which case YMMV - literally).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks

Wow, I got so much information on this one thread, you guy's rock! I think it is a combination of my shifting, the car needed to "adjust", the mixture of city driving, and my crazy idea that a GT would get the same mileage as my wifes v-6 car.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
your mileage will go up slightly once you get a few thousand miles into your engine. Shift early and brake early. Also, a CAI is good for at least a 1 MPG improvement and its easily converted back to stock if you need to (30 min if you DON'T know what you are doing:bigthumbsup). If you get a hand-held tuner and obtain a 93 octane tune from a respected tuner (like Tillmanspeed) you are able to utalize the higher octane and get farther on a tank of gas, hence better MPG. The high octane is harder to break down and therefore better MPG.

NOTE: if you simply add 93 octane and don't re-tune your car's computer you are simply wasting money.

on a side note, i live in NJ, and if you've ever been here you know that its crazy on the roads. My baby is a DD and i get approx 14.5 MPG on a tank of gas with 95% city driving. But once i hit the highway i can get over 25 MPG out of her. I once went 380 miles on a tank and i still had about 1.5 gallons left in the tank. (the tank is 16 gallons if you didn't already know)

I also have a clutch delete option (Automatic:D)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks

Hotshot, thanks for the advice. I think (for now) I will leave the car the way iy is, but maybe add a cold air or tuner sometime soon. BTW, yes I have driven through Jersey, and I know what u mean. lol:happyhapp

·
Registered
186 Posts
Some mods like the CAI like you mentioned can actually improve gas mileage. I personaly have never payed any attention to my gas mileage. My old 94GT was a gas gussler. My 07 seems to do better but I can't keep my foot off the gas LOL. I love the exhaust sound at the higher RPMs and just can't help myself. I only have 4000 miles on my 07. Mustangs just aren't made to be fuel savers. I try to do my part to deplete the planet of oil as quick as possible LOL.

Hotshot, thanks for the advice. I think (for now) I will leave the car the way iy is, but maybe add a cold air or tuner sometime soon. BTW, yes I have driven through Jersey, and I know what u mean. lol:happyhapp

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another thing, do not judge your mileage by looking at the gauge. The Mustang gastank only holds about 16 gallons of fuel, so a quarter of a tank is only ~4 gallons. If you averaged 20mpg, you only looking at 80 miles on a quarter tank. If you're coming from an F-150, you had a 26 gallon tank, so it's likely it took longer to go through a quarter tank of gas than it does in the Mustang.

Best thing to do is fill it up, log the odometer and go through a tank of fuel. Then fill it back up and look at how many gallons it took to bring the car to full. Look at the odometer and determine how many miles you have driven since the first number you logged. Divide that number by the number of gallons it took to fill the car back up and, voila, there is your average MPG.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.