Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 GT that I put a Borla Axle-back exhaust on - everything else is stock. Love the throaty growl - exactly what I was looking for. Even makes my husband jealous and he has an 05 GT with cams :). But the inside drone is crazy at 1600-2000 rpms. It's an automatic so I can't even shift out of it, but I can definitely crank up the music! Regardless the drone is way to much as I can't even have a conversation when cruising at those rpms, and it would be way to exhausting on a roadtrip.

Borla sent venturi's (resonators) to have welded in, but before I do that, I want to know if anyone else has actually done this? If so, did it help? And where did you place them for the weld?

I would rather know before the weld if it's going to help or not. If not, I will go ahead and donate my Borla's to my husband :bigthumbsup and consider my other options.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Wish I could help you. It seems sometimes a thread will stay with zero replys for a while and then one finally answers and then the flood gates open.

I have heard with some mufflers the drone goes away after a while, not sure how true it is.

Welcome to AFM:bigthumbsup

-Chris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chris. I will just hang out until someone responds, or I can't wait anymore ... then I'll just do it and post my results here for the next person. :shiny:

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Stlwagon welded a pair of Dynomax race bullets into the mid pipes to get rid of the drone with his Borla.Stigers. I did the same for my Pype Bombs.

·
Registered
558 Posts
How many miles are on the mufflers right now? the more miles the more the car and exhaust "break in". Ive got about 600 miles on my SSS terminator exhaust and the drone and rasp is still bad, better then new but still bad. I am welding in some M80 mufflers to help reduce the drone and raspyness. Hoping for a deeper sound.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
just curious -- are they the Borla Stingers or ATAK?

I've heard conflicting reports about drone with the stingers; some say they do, some say they don't

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mr. Ugly - How much did it reduce the drone? Are Pype Bombs chambered like the Borla's?

Smokey88 - I have about 400 miles on them right now. They seemed to mellow a little, but I don't think they will change as much as I want them too, unfortunately. The level of drone is just too much - it actually hurts my ears.

JBert - they are Borla Stingers. I've heard that Borla improved them for the 2011 model to eliminate drone. I really hope the resonators will help on mine. I love the growl ... just not the drone in the cabin.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installed resonators (venutri's)

Well, I just had to know if it would work, so we installed the resonators in the exhaust, just after the H-pipe. It did bring the drone down just a little, but the frequency (pitch) of the drone was still there, so it still hurt to hear it. It didn't make enough of a difference for me to want to keep the exhaust, so the Borla's are going on Craigslist. And we reinstalled the factory exhaust.

I guess now I will start saving for Corsa's. Anyone know how much of a rumble difference between touring and sport? I'm thinking sport (14311) is what I want - I like to hear it some at idle (more than stock), and then of course want it to growl at WOT.

Anyway, just wanted to post that the resonators Borla sent didn't take care of the drone. Hope this info helps someone else in the future.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Hmm I have borla stingers and didn't notice much drone with the stock mid pipe. I now have a magnalfow catted X with the stingers and still don't notice much drone even cruising at 2,000rpm. Granted I have a manual so may be that makes the difference. Nothing sounds as good as the Borlas on these cars in my opinion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I didn't notice to much drone on just the borla stinger axle-back, but when i got LT headers and a off-road H it got bad. I just ordered some dynamat sound deadening material....I read that it might not help with the drone but I'm gonna give it a shot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Scupking - I'm not sure why mine had so much drone. Automatic certainly makes it worse, since I can't shift past it. But we removed the Borla's from mine and put them on my husbands 06 GT (manual), and they droned on his too. Worse than mine. I'm starting to wonder if we got a bad set from Borla (not that I've ever heard of that).

I hated taking them off (and going back to stock). It's not cool to put out that kind of money for nothing. I bought Borla because they are known for quality. I definitely loved the growl. But can't stand the ear-piercing drone inside. It's not just a 'loud sound' in the car, it actually gives a sound frequency that hurts.

Okay, off my soap box now. Anybody wanna buy some Borla's???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We've used dynamat before inside the cabin of a Dodge truck. It worked well for keeping out road noise and improving stereo sound.

I've heard of people wrapping the exhaust, or putting a sheet between the muffler and the frame. They say it works.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We've used dynamat before inside the cabin of a Dodge truck. It worked well for keeping out road noise and improving stereo sound.

I've heard of people wrapping the exhaust, or putting a sheet between the muffler and the frame. They say it works.
Yeah that's what I'm going to try and put it all around my trunk. I hoping if it does't help the drone it will at least help noise reduction and better bass.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
When I used to have Bassani's I had drone, and def helped to have something in the trunk which is wear the axle-back mufflers resonate. One time I packed the trunk with "stuff"(blankets,pillows, clothes) I might been moving at the time. And it decreased the drone pretty good. I tihnk sound deadening material may help from that line of reasoning.

I also miss the deep rumble of the bassani, so I may go back sometime and give the dynamat type products a shot.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts

I dunno if I'd wrap the exhaust itself...those mufflers get pretty darn hot. I was thinking of trying to coat the area just above the mufflers where the sound will hit the exposed metal of the trunk. Kinda wish I would tried that before getting rid of my Bassani's.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
. . . . Anybody wanna buy some Borla's???
yes, but unfortunately I need the 2010 model, the tips are a little longer so they stick out through the new "diaper"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts