Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a set of projector lights with LEDs on the side for my 09 GT and went to have them installed at Cartunes of Atlanta. They wanted $500 for the install and I was blown away considering the lights are only 250 bucks. I want to install them myself and know that ill be having to take off the front bumper to install. I wanted to see if anyone had an install guide for these lights. AM has a wiring vid that is ok and a sealant vid thats ok and ill use them as guides but I was wondering if anyone had a High detail instruction guide I could use. Why would I pay 500 bucks for something I know can be done myself?

This is the product link thanks in advance you guys/ gals rock

Black Mustang Halo Projector Headlights - LED (05-09) at AmericanMuscle.com

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So anybody done something like this?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So anybody done something like this?
I've installed the exact lights on two other Mustangs one 05 the other 08. Very easy, follow wiring instructions that came with them and mark sure you heat shrink all connections. Removing the front bumber takes about 15 min's. no big deal at all either. I don't havr the Ford bumber removal instructions, but I'll bet the SLTWAGON does. PM him. If you run into any issues PM me. John

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've installed the exact lights on two other Mustangs one 05 the other 08. Very easy, follow wiring instructions that came with them and mark sure you heat shrink all connections. Removing the front bumber takes about 15 min's. no big deal at all either. I don't havr the Ford bumber removal instructions, but I'll bet the SLTWAGON does. PM him. If you run into any issues PM me. John
Thanks alot. For the LED's what power supply do I use? Do I have to "make one" or will there be extra room to just tide it in with the rest?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got these for my 08 dark candy apple red GT.

How do you like them? Were they hard to install? Did you experience any fogging?

-Jason

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well I bought a set of projector lights with LEDs on the side for my 09 GT and went to have them installed at Cartunes of Atlanta. They wanted $500 for the install and I was blown away considering the lights are only 250 bucks. I want to install them myself and know that ill be having to take off the front bumper to install. I wanted to see if anyone had an install guide for these lights. AM has a wiring vid that is ok and a sealant vid thats ok and ill use them as guides but I was wondering if anyone had a High detail instruction guide I could use. Why would I pay 500 bucks for something I know can be done myself?

This is the product link thanks in advance you guys/ gals rock

Black Mustang Halo Projector Headlights - LED (05-09) at AmericanMuscle.com
American muscle had instructions on the link you provided, they seemed to pretty clear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I installed them on my 2008 Mustang GT only I purchased the Chrome backed ones along with the Halo Fog lights....They were fairly easy to install if you know what you are doing....I followed a video posted on Youtube to install them...the only thing I did differently was I I wired my Halo's and LED's into the Parking lights, so that I could run just them if I wanted to at dusk, but they also stay on when I turn the headlights on....

YOUTUBE LINKS:
Installing Headlights: YouTube - SPECDTUNING INSTALLATION VIDEO: 2005-2009 FORD MUSTANG HALO LED PROJECTOR HEAD LIGHTS

Wiring: YouTube - SPECDTUNING Installation Video: Halo LED Projector Headlights Wiring Installation

even though this wiring video is for an older style mustang HAlo headlight, it's still the same concept as the new S197 style...I also suggest just heat shrinking the wires together instead of using the splice connectors or crimp connectors....What we did was spliced the wires in by hand, soldiered the wires, and then electrical taped them really good to make sure they were properly connected and sealed from weather....

2 tips though...
1: Make sure you seal the lights and then seal again, and one more time to be safe...I didn't seal mine and now one of them gets moisture build up in the inside of the lens, so this winter when the car goes into storage, I'll be pulling it out and going through all the work of resealing it.

2:Make sure you get your headlights adjusted up and down, as well as left and right to make sure they are aimed where you want them, because once they are in, and you have the bumper and stuff back on you can't reach the adjust knobs to change where they are aimed unless you take everything off and then pull the headlight out

Goodluck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
What we did was spliced the wires in by hand, soldiered the wires, and then electrical taped them really good to make sure they were properly connected and sealed from weather....
Why? Why not use the "Correct" product?

The heat shrink I use you will find more in a marine store. You will NOT find it at Radio Shack. It has Glue in it. A heat gun shrinks the heat shrink and melts the glue to encapsulate and seal the connection.

Or you can use a Crimp /Shrink connector. It will do the same thing.

The use of electric tape is not the way to moisture seal a connection.

Here is a quick link to get the adhesive lined heat shrink.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=35291&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10611&
classNum=10612

And here is a link to the Crimp /Shrink Butt connectors.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...151_10001_35167_-1____ProductDisplayErrorView

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
I just installed some halo lights but now my fog lights don't work can anyone help me out?
Halos on the foglights or the headlights? The lights themselves shouldn't have been effected at all since you tap into the parking lamps for the power of the halos.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Although these lights look very good, the manufacturing quality is less than good. The internal adjustment mechanism is faulty . The triangular low beam mounts inside the lens tend to pop off when you go over a hard bump.

Also the only way to adjust the aim is with with the bumper cover off, and the entire headlight removed from its mounting position.

I tried once to install, then returned the defective pair, only to wind up returning the replacement pair with essentially the same issue with the adjustment mounts poping off.

AM was very good and accommodating to me through all this :bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts