Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2010 GT that is stock and I want to start upgrading it. I am limited by California's amazing emission laws and such so I have to work around that. A big aspect is money I don't wanna be breaking the bank on everything. I don't have all the money in the world to spend on the car so I want to get the most bang for my buck. How should I start out? Should I slowly go FBO and get parts that are California legal? Should I save up and grab a supercharger from say brenspeed and build up from there? What supercharger is best per say, I like the whine from whipples and such but they are expensive so is it worth it to just go with a centrifugal supercharger? Will California let me put a supercharger on it and still pass emissions?

I know those were a lot of random questions I'm just kind of lost right now and I want to try to find a course of action. I daily drive the car a few miles to school and then go for weekend cruises. Nothing too crazy, car has 84K miles. Just wanna liven it up a bit for now and slowly build it up to a formidable car! Any advice and knowledge I would gladly appreciate.

·
Administrator
4,792 Posts
Welcome and thank you for joining ALLFORDMUSTANGS!
Please read the Site Rules if you haven’t already.
We encourage you to complete your Account Settings.
Do you need help posting? Please read this FAQ.

We’re happy you have chosen to be a part of our community.

Reactions: 5.0 Coyote

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
With all the new restrictive emissions regulations coming into force in CA, I suggest you save your money towards a positive displacement supercharger kit such as the Roush R2300. This is probably the best bang per buck performance package you can buy:

·
Registered
11,295 Posts
Yeah for sure the supercharger is the best "bang for the buck" (assuming you have the bucks) and the Roush R2300 would be my first choice also. The challenge will be meeting the CA rules and I hope the Roush will do that; I assume Bullitt95 is correct about that but the note in the link is a little questionable.

The beauty of the supercharger is that it will get you directly to the safe limit on this engine without any other modifications. For example, you do not need to touch the exhaust, which is a big no no avoided in California. Generally accepted "safe" limit on the stock internals is about 450 HP at the rear wheels. But remember, as soon as you make a major change like a supercharger, "all bets are off" because you are pushing the engine way beyond its original design limits, there are no guarantees that it will hold up and you need to be careful with things like the tune (a "safe" tune is generally OK but a bad or overly aggressive tune could make it go boom.)

Other than the supercharger, there are a lot of small things that you can do, but they do not make a HUGE difference (like the supercharger does), and in total you will spend close to the cost of the supercharger for substantially less gain, and you'll need to check them against the CA laws and might find that a lot of them are illegal.

The engine generally should be OK at 84K miles, assuming it has been well maintained; but again "all bets are off" when you start messing with it.

Reactions: Jeremy Weigel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah for sure the supercharger is the best "bang for the buck" (assuming you have the bucks) and the Roush R2300 would be my first choice also. The challenge will be meeting the CA rules and I hope the Roush will do that; I assume Bullitt95 is correct about that but the note in the link is a little questionable.

The beauty of the supercharger is that it will get you directly to the safe limit on this engine without any other modifications. For example, you do not need to touch the exhaust, which is a big no no avoided in California. Generally accepted "safe" limit on the stock internals is about 450 HP at the rear wheels. But remember, as soon as you make a major change like a supercharger, "all bets are off" because you are pushing the engine way beyond its original design limits, there are no guarantees that it will hold up and you need to be careful with things like the tune (a "safe" tune is generally OK but a bad or overly aggressive tune could make it go boom.)

Other than the supercharger, there are a lot of small things that you can do, but they do not make a HUGE difference (like the supercharger does), and in total you will spend close to the cost of the supercharger for substantially less gain, and you'll need to check them against the CA laws and might find that a lot of them are illegal.

The engine generally should be OK at 84K miles, assuming it has been well maintained; but again "all bets are off" when you start messing with it.

Ok, yeah I remember watching Brenspeed's video and they said that it's not safe too push the stock 3v engine over 450 lbs ft of torque at the wheels cause that's too much stress on the rods. And yeah your right it would cost just as much as a supercharger too do cams, exhaust, cold air intake, manifold etc. I do love me some chop on a muscle car but if it ain't really gonna make that big of a difference then I'd rather get a supercharger. For the superchargers is a Rough like the one you suggested better than say a Paxton or vortech? Because those are cheaper, sure they don't have the whine but hey going faster is the more important thing. I guess what are the pros and cons of those and what would be best option of those two? I know this is gonna sound bad but out of those two superchargers which is the most daily drivable? I know superchargers aren't really daily drivable but I wanna liven my car up but still be able to use it daily for going to school and back and such. If I am going to use it as a daily is a supercharger not the way to go? Is it better to spend the same money on FBO? Also I saw some headers on Brenspeed and other websites that said they are EPA approved would that get them around California's emissions or no? Thanks for the info I really appreciate it!

And yes I believe the engine has been maintained well I change the oil on the dot or slightly before the oil life system runs out of life. The car had 3 previous owners but it is in good condition a few scratches here and then but the engine bay is in great condition really clean so I would assume the engine internally is good. If I do go for a supercharger I could do a compression test just to make sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts