Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a CAI, I have warranty concerns so im not to interested in tuneing until it expires...

Im looking at the roush CAI from AM, it's pretty cheap, and doesn't require a tune.

Obviously i know i wouldn't be getting anywhere near the benifits of a full CAI + Tune. My question is: would i be getting the same results from a 'no-tune' required CAI, as a 'tune' required CAI, when i DO decide to tune shortly down the road?

Thnx

·
Registered
150 Posts
if your cai adds more air, you need a tune. the roush intake doesn't need a tune because it only allows in the same amount of air as the stock one. so once you get a tune, you'll gain power but not the same as a tune required intake. i'd recommend getting a KN performance air filter for now and just getting a tune required intake later. or maybe if you get one installed at a dealership it'll retain the warranty?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah i was thinking about just sucking it up and going with the tune.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
. . . . the roush intake doesn't need a tune because it only allows in the same amount of air as the stock one . . .
With all due respect, that is a common misunderstanding but it is not correct.

The reason the Roush intake does not need a tune is that the intake tube where the MAF sensor (mass air flow) mounts is the same diameter as the stock tube. So this means the MAF still gets good readings on how much air is coming in, because it measures velocity and velocity times area equals volume.

Other CAI's with a larger diameter intake tube require a tune becaue the MAF will give bad readings if it is not recalibrated -- the MAF still reads velocity, but now the area is bigger, so the volume calculated is wrong. The system will think it is getting a lot less air than it really is, and the car will run lean -- unless the MAF is recalibrated, which is the key thing in the tune for the CAI.

So, does the Roush CAI flow more air? According to the specs I have seen yes it does (can't remember the numbers right now) ; the basic idea of the CAI is that it reduces the restrictions in the intake. So where are the restrictions in the intake? Mostly in the filter and the filter box. That's why all the CAI's have a filter with more surface area and an open box. The Roush intake has a nice big K&N filter with lots of area, and an open box. The diameter of the intake tube is not a major restriction and not a major factor; yes a bigger diameter tube will reduce that restriction but it is already minimal so it doesn't make much difference.

One good thing about the Roush CAI for the 2010+ cars is that it DOES use the intake duct at the edge of the grill, so the air is coming from outside, not under the hood -- hence the name COLD air intake. Some of the others do not do this but instead just block off that intake duct, defeating the factory design and drawing warm air from under the hood. (yes due to the open box some of the air will come from under the hood)

So will the Roush CAI make a noticeable difference? I can't really say because mine was on the car when I bought it, so I have no baseline for comparison. I can say that my car seems to get very good gas mileage (around 27+ on my 100-mile round trip commute, about half highway) and the engine sounds great at heavy throttle. Gotta love that intake noise!

Keep in mind that the factory intake was redesigned for 2010 and it's already pretty good; that's mainly where they got the 15 HP improvement over the earlier years. So there is not as much gain to be had by replacing the intake as compared to prior years.

So -- in summary I think the Roush CAI is a good simple solution at a reasonable price. I have seen some other posts complaining that it does not fully engage with the intake duct in the grill, but looking at mine it looks good enough to me. It is made out of plastic whereas most of the others are metal; but so what, it is not a highly stressed component.

If I had it to do over again I would probably also look at the Steeda (which costs quite a bit more and requires a tune).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah im 100% aware that the gain will not be substantial due to the 2010 already having a "CAI". But after shipping, the total was under 300$ so i figured it wouldn't be a horrible idea.

Appreciate you taking the time too break down the facts :)

After shipping, the C&L + Tuner combo wil run me near 1000$
(I did not know that the roush kit used a K&N filter though :worship

@ Jbert: Were you happy with your UDP mod? I have that in my considerations list.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the Rouch on my 2011 5L, did it at first w/o tune. When I ordered my 373's and tuner from AM, the tech mentioned something very much like the above post, I didn't pay much more that $179.00 for the Rouch when I baught it from E-Bay.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
. . . @ Jbert: Were you happy with your UDP mod? I have that in my considerations list.
the good news: no problems at all; no alternator light, no battery charging problems, car runs at same temp as before, A/C works fine, install was pretty easy, I like the idea of not "wasting" as much energy on the accessories

the not-so-good news: I cannot tell much difference in the performance of the car; I haven't had it dynoed or timed at the strip so it's up to my "butt dyno" which is not that sensitive. I think I did see a small improvement in MPG, maybe 1/2 MPG highway, and it seems to be less sensitive to the A/C; it is hard to tell because there are so many other factors involved.

so overall yeah I am happy with it, but like the Roush CAI, don't expect a huge difference and you won't be disappointed

oh yeah one more thing about the Roush CAI -- it looks very cool under the hood!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts