Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So earlier today I was about to head to back to Stillwater from Tulsa, and I stop to fill up with gas then get on the highway. Once I'm on the highway I start accelerating and once it gets around 50-60mph my car starts jerking like sounds like it was getting caught on something?? So I braked and pulled over cause I freaked out and didn't know what was happening. My friend said maybe my gas line got caught or something, but my service engine light came on as well. I risked it but I got back on the highway and it drove the whole way home fine?

If you understand what I'm saying, has anyone had this happen or know why it happened?? Like maybe it was bad gas or what? :?:

·
Registered
12 Posts
could just be bad gas.. are you still under warranty?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could just be bad gas.. are you still under warranty?
yeah I'm hoping it's just the gas, but no my warranty ran out 2000 miles ago :(

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Sounds like a fuel starvation problem, either from a little water in the gas or a fuel filter that’s starting to clog. Have you ever changed the fuel filter? If it starts becoming more frequent in the future even after replacing the filter it could be a fuel pump that’s starting to have a problem, or outside chance a fuel pressure regulator. If you have the resources you should check for a code stored in the PCM’s memory even if the check engine light has gone out.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a fuel starvation problem, either from a little water in the gas or a fuel filter that’s starting to clog. Have you ever changed the fuel filter? If it starts becoming more frequent in the future even after replacing the filter it could be a fuel pump that’s starting to have a problem, or outside chance a fuel pressure regulator. If you have the resources you should check for a code stored in the PCM’s memory even if the check engine light has gone out.
I haven't changed the fuel filter, how often am I supposed to do that? I'll go tomorrow and see if I can get that done because honestly have no clue how to change it.
I don't have the resources to check for codes, so where would I take it that could do that?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I haven't changed the fuel filter, how often am I supposed to do that? I'll go tomorrow and see if I can get that done because honestly have no clue how to change it.
I don't have the resources to check for codes, so where would I take it that could do that?
Not sure what Ford recommends offhand on the fuel filters (you could check your owner’s literature or online for the maintenance schedule for your car), but most guys change them by about 30K miles. I need to do mine in a few more thousand.

Some auto parts stores will read out codes for you for free (Autozone is one that sometimes will do it) in the hope of selling parts. Call around at parts stores in your area and ask. Code readers can also be bought for about $100, but I’m not sure you’d get your money’s worth out of it. Most tuners will also read and clear trouble codes.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
First off dont take it to the Dealer ti have any of this done. If younhave a (Autozone) near by they will check the Codes for you for FREE, the Dealer will probably charge you $90 for this just to hook it up to their Computer to test for your Codes. The Fuel Filter is an easy change, mabey your Dad can do it for you or if you have a Friend that has some Minor Knowledge of working on Cars they could do it.
It seems like you got some bad Gas, sometimes just a Change in just the Brand of Gas could do this. That's why I always buy Gas from the same place. I know you had to buy Gas where you did and there was nothing you could do about it. I've heard many storied of people buying Gas out of town and havng similar problems.
Good Luck and hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off dont take it to the Dealer ti have any of this done. If younhave a (Autozone) near by they will check the Codes for you for FREE, the Dealer will probably charge you $90 for this just to hook it up to their Computer to test for your Codes. The Fuel Filter is an easy change, mabey your Dad can do it for you or if you have a Friend that has some Minor Knowledge of working on Cars they could do it.
It seems like you got some bad Gas, sometimes just a Change in just the Brand of Gas could do this. That's why I always buy Gas from the same place. I know you had to buy Gas where you did and there was nothing you could do about it. I've heard many storied of people buying Gas out of town and havng similar problems.
Good Luck and hope you get it fixed.
Oh yeah definitely wasn't going to go to the dealership. I'll call our Autozone and see if the check codes before I go up there. But yeah that'd be nice if my dad wasn't three hours away, I'm going to ask one of my other friends who has a mustang and works on his car alot if he can do it. If not there's a place that can do it down the street that can change fuel filters, since I highly doubt I'd be able to by myself. I know I usually get gas at the same place when I'm in town too and have no problems... but thanks for the info and help!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took it to Autozone, and the codes said my gas cap was loose. Well I have one of those capless gas tanks so I'm guessing the part that slides was getting stuck and not going all the way close. Fixed now tho, but I don't know if that played a part in why it was driving weird or not.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Glad the code was something simple, but that's not likely to have caused the bad running. Maybe there was a little water in the gas. May want to check your mileage though, and if it’s over 30K do the fuel filter just in case.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad the code was something simple, but that's not likely to have caused the bad running. Maybe there was a little water in the gas. May want to check your mileage though, and if it’s over 30K do the fuel filter just in case.
I'm going to make the drive to my parents city this weekend since it's my birthday/and fathers day, and see if my dad can change the fuel filter while I'm in town. If not I'll go get it done by someone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts