Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My wife has a 2010 v6 auto trans. It has a really loud clunk when shifting from park to reverse.
Anyone have any thoughts? Is this a pervasive problem?
Of course Ford says it is normal.
My 2002 Explorer with 75000 mi doesn't make a peep when shifting from park to reverse.
This car only has 12,000 mi, and it sounds like a 10 year old truck with 150,000 miles on it when shifting this transmission.
Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
does she park the car on a hill? use the emergency brake?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Does she wait for the fast idle to drop below 1,000 RPM when she first starts it or does she just throw it into reverse at 1,400 RPM? Could be a factor. Also do you have a tune on the car? That can also make the transmission shift harder, especially if the trans pressure has been upped.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 06 does the same thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clunk in driveline

Thanks for the replies.
Standard tune, bone stock.
Car is at operating temp., stable idle, shift from park to reverse: Clunk.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Car is at operating temp., stable idle, shift from park to reverse: Clunk.
Mine makes a little bit of noise under those circumstances, but nothing I would describe as a "clunk". May not be anything significant though. Keep an eye on it to see if it gets progressively worse. If something ends up going out you definitely want that repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know on older cars that clunk was usally one of two things: u joints or a crush bearing in the rear end. I don't know what all or how our cars are put together now, but that was then. That crush bearing could fool you into thinking it was a u joint, but I don't even know how they are put together now a days.

·
Registered
226 Posts
put your car in neutral first than go to reverse.. i noticed when i started doing that it didn't make that sound.. but i might just not be paying attention any more idk

·
Registered
27 Posts
My car has always done that. Just put it in neutral instead, then turn off the engine and shift to park.

(Think I read somewhere a long time ago that it’s better to shift to neutral and then turn the engine off anyway, I wouldn’t claim that this is true though, if it were the case why would Ford spend millions of dollars developing auto boxes with a shift into park. ;) )

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
once in a blue moon mine does it, i think maybe if the idle is not settled down yet, or if my foot is not on the brake good, and it gets a little roll as its shifting into reverse.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mine does too! It has for 2 years though. Ford told me it's normal too and I honestly believe it is just normal.

I'm really not to worried about it, especially since yours is a 2010 and you probably still have a warranty on it if it does eventually break.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts