Ford Mustang Forum banner

2010 V6, fuel filter change question

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  lovemystang22 
#1 ·
I really need to change my fuel filter because i've been getting bad gas mileage, and it says in the manual something about 40k it needs to be changed. So I ask how hard is it to change the fuel filter? I thought about taking it to someone but out of the only two shops in Stillwater one has no clue how to do it and the other is going to charge me $70.

#2 ·
There is a black plastic panel under the drivers side of your car. Jack up that side, remove the bolts holding it up, pry it off. There you will see the fuel filter. Its pretty straight forward from there. The green buttons on the connectors are a little hard to press but with a little working on, you'll get it. Have a rag, or something to stop the fuel from draining too bad, ready. Having an extra hand is helpful. Then repeat the process in reverse. Takes about 30 minutes. The filter at autozone is like $10.

#7 ·
No special tools needed. Simply press down on the green tab on the connector on the fuel line and pull it off the filter. Repeat for the other side of the filter.
Make sure the new filter is put in with proper flow orientation!

#6 ·
Thanks you guys. I think I can do it. From how you said to do it, it sounds very straight forward and I feel like if I can install the cai then I can do my fuel filter and save money haha!

#8 ·
if anyone ever checks back on this, I changed my fuel filter today finally. It was really simple, the only hard part was indeed getting the cover off. It was slightly messy but that was a given. My car runs alot better it seems like since I changed it.

#9 ·
nice job, you saved some bucks. another worth while thing to note is if the car has been started just before doing the change, its a good idea to remove the fuel pump relay from the fuse box under the hood and cranking it over a few times. it relieves any fuel pressure in the system so it doesnt spray out when you pull the lines loose.

when i do mine, i dont remove that cover all the way, just remove all the fasteners then pull the cover down on the outside towards the rocker enough to get to the filter and lay a towel on it. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.