Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is a music artist and he wants to plan a 3 week tour going all around California and also to Las Vegas. Our recording engineer stated that we will need a trailer to haul around his equipment as we do not have a truck or an SUV available to us. However, I do have my 2010 V6 Mustang. We plan to install a trailer hitch on it to haul around an 850 lbs. trailer. Fully loaded the trailer will weigh around 1,650 lbs. We will have my Mustang full with 4 people and the trunk full with our luggage. The trailer will have some sound and recording equipment and some luggage as well. I have upgraded the engine with a K&N Cold Air Intake and a Bama 91 Premium Fuel Race Performance tune from American Muscle. Someone recommended that I also install a transmission cooler. What I am concerned about is the stock transmission, stock axle, and stock suspension. Will my Mustang be able to pull this weight?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
My friend is a music artist and he wants to plan a 3 week tour going all around California and also to Las Vegas. Our recording engineer stated that we will need a trailer to haul around his equipment as we do not have a truck or an SUV available to us. However, I do have my 2010 V6 Mustang. We plan to install a trailer hitch on it to haul around an 850 lbs. trailer. Fully loaded the trailer will weigh around 1,650 lbs. We will have my Mustang full with 4 people and the trunk full with our luggage. The trailer will have some sound and recording equipment and some luggage as well. I have upgraded the engine with a K&N Cold Air Intake and a Bama 91 Premium Fuel Race Performance tune from American Muscle. Someone recommended that I also install a transmission cooler. What I am concerned about is the stock transmission, stock axle, and stock suspension. Will my Mustang be able to pull this weight?
That's definitely a lot of weight. I've heard of Mustangs pulling some serious weight before but this sounds pretty extreme. If you're going to do it, I'd definitely recommend getting a Transmission cooler and giving your car a complete once over before making the trip!

Definitely post up some pictures once your Mustang is at full weight and 1,500+ lbs strapped to the back of it. This is definitely going to be a great sight so see!

Best of luck.

-Dan

·
Registered
550 Posts
Amustangrocks over on allfordmustangs installed a hide a hitch on his car and towed stuff for his daughter. It can be done, just ask him.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
oh ya, no problems. you car will tow great. i towed by little boat loaded down with alot of gear 1500 miles last month, couldnt even tell it was back there. i`m leaving the hitch on it for now just in case i need to do it again. i might even just use it next year to make some fishing trips. as long as you dont have too much tongue weight you`ll be ok. around $200 for a hidden hitch and the wire harness. i installed the hitch, wasnt too bad (except for pulling the pass side muffler 2 times) the second time was to grind a little off the side plate of the hitch cause the muffler was rattling against it just a tiny bit. the 1 1/4" hitch is rated for 2000 lbs and the tongue weight i think was 200 lbs. my rear suspension is stock. i do have a add on trans cooler, but you`ll be ok.

ive also towed my little boat with my 4 cyl pt cruiser and it did fine too. it had a hitch on it when i got it.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i would think about another vehicle, maybe a economy rental for the extra people and luggage, unless they are hot little chicks ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds great, but I have decided to scrap the Mustang option since my parents' are going to let me borrow their Yukon Denali. I know that will be able to tow it no problem (maybe even another trailer behind this one if I could) as it is rated at almost 10,000 lbs. towing capacity.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sounds great, but I have decided to scrap the Mustang option since my parents' are going to let me borrow their Yukon Denali. I know that will be able to tow it no problem (maybe even another trailer behind this one if I could) as it is rated at almost 10,000 lbs. towing capacity.
That sounds like a better option. 1600lb trailer + 4 people inside + trunk full of luggage might be pushing into The Little Engine That Could territory...

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
That sounds like a better option. 1600lb trailer + 4 people inside + trunk full of luggage might be pushing into The Little Engine That Could territory...
the 4.0 has way more than enough power and torque, but thats a bit much for the rear suspension. just loading the trunk down makes a noticeable difference, then 2 more adults in the back..thats asking alot. i was by myself, the car was not loaded down. the trailer was loaded heavy and pushing the linits i`m sure but i couldnt hardly tell i was towing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts