Ford Mustang Forum banner

2010GT SC Engine build advice needed

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  sqidd 
#1 ·
Hello All,

i am currently running my TVS with the Brenspeed R560 package (de-tuned a little bit) on my stock bottom end. I also have the dual GT500 fuel pumps.

Next year I would like to start my engine build (complete longblock, to later sell my stock engine, it only has 21K miles) in parallel and then swap once it is complete.

My goals are some RWHP (many) and above 600rwtq... and as close to stock driveability as possible....

Now I am unsure, which setup will give me the best approach to my goals:

FRPP 5.0 stroker (Aluminum block) short block
or
4.6 build bottom end
4.75 MMR stroker
or
BOSS 5.0 block with forged internals (adds 60lbs to my front end) either as a 5.0 (unstroked), 5.15 or 5.3L stroker?

I have seen Brenspeed has some TVS with over 600rwtq on the B326, so apart from the 60lbs, is it the best choice to go with the big bore?
The next question is heads and cams. I am leaning towards the FRPP stage 1 heads, as i am not sure about the reliability of the Stage 3 (apart from 2x price). Would the stage 1 be enough? What cams? If i look at Comp's website, most of them need high gears (i have 3.55)...i assume that would affect driveability a lot. Any hints?

The good thing is, that the 2010 TVS comes with the large IC+Reservoir and basically all 2011+ TVS kits build on that. So i would assume that the IC setup should be good. Engine cooling, i am thinking about the FRPP radiator + SVT Fan setup to help keep the engine cool..
Anu advice on a decent clutch, that has close to stock feel, but holds 600rwtq? Yes i know the tranny needs some love, too....
Any thoughts or hints to get me on the right track?

Many Thanks,

LEXiiON

See less See more
#2 ·
I think another engine you need to add to the list is the 5.4L. You get more displacement, but at a reduced cost, and its very similar to the 4.6. This means an easier time with accessories, and electronics/sensors. You probably dont have to build it up that much to get 600RWHP either. Downside might be more truck like torque.

#3 ·
Well, I ruled the 5.4 out, due to the fact it has a different deck height. With the other options, i can reuse my TVS intake etc..
The 5.3 stroker option on the Boss block gives me almost the same displacement, with the same deck height... it just has the 3.700 bore instead of the 3.552 and i can reuse everything..

LEXiiON

#4 ·
My goals are some RWHP (many) and above 600rwtq... and as close to stock driveability as possible....
That's possible.

I also have the dual GT500 fuel pumps.
This will limit you to about 600rwhp/600rwtq. You will need a BAP or bigger pumps for more power.

FRPP 5.0 stroker (Aluminum block) short block
Great option and easy.

4.6 build bottom end
Another good option (I'm not a huge stroker fan).

4.75 MMR stroker
Whatever

BOSS 5.0 block with forged internals (adds 60lbs to my front end) either as a 5.0 (unstroked), 5.15 or 5.3L stroker?
More like 90-100lb extra. And you don't have enough blower (2.3L) to need the extra displacement to keep boost down. That blower will run out of breath at about 18psi on a 4.6L which is still pump gas safe.

I have seen Brenspeed has some TVS with over 600rwtq on the B326, so apart from the 60lbs, is it the best choice to go with the big bore?
Not IMO.

The next question is heads and cams. I am leaning towards the FRPP stage 1 heads, as i am not sure about the reliability of the Stage 3 (apart from 2x price). Would the stage 1 be enough?
You don't have enough blower to "need" ported heads.

What cams? If i look at Comp's website, most of them need high gears (i have 3.55)...i assume that would affect driveability a lot. Any hints?
Run the stock cams if you want stock drivability and fat torque. Any aftermarket cams will kill your low end TQ for a very small top end gain.

The good thing is, that the 2010 TVS comes with the large IC+Reservoir and basically all 2011+ TVS kits build on that. So i would assume that the IC setup should be good.
You need a big aftermarket HE and a Meziere 20gpm pump. A 55gpm pump would be even better.

Engine cooling, i am thinking about the FRPP radiator + SVT Fan setup to help keep the engine cool..
Unless you are planning on some roadracing the stock radiator and fan will keep it plenty cool.

Anu advice on a decent clutch, that has close to stock feel, but holds 600rwtq?
RST

Any thoughts or hints to get me on the right track?
You are over thinking/over planning and making it more complicated/expensive than it needs to be to reach your goals. KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid:shigrin)

Good luck

#5 ·
so to summarize your input Squidd:
FRPP 5.0 stroker shortblock
Standard or stage 1 heads (almost the same price)
Stock cams (what's your thought on the FRPP cams?)
BAP for GT500
Upgraded IC pump
AFCO Heat exchanger (I assume the one with the fans)
McLeod RST clutch (800hp)
Maybe the SVT Fan upgrade (my choice)
2.75" pulley
10% overdrive crankshaft pulley

The only thing I haven't figured out, is the belt size. What belt do I need to get?
Thanks

LEXiiON

#6 ·
so to summarize your input Squidd:
No "U" in sqidd:shigrin

FRPP 5.0 stroker shortblock
Yep, cheap, easy, reliable and plenty of shortblock for what your doing.

Standard or stage 1 heads (almost the same price)
If you can afford them/justify spending the money they won't hurt.

Stock cams (what's your thought on the FRPP cams?)
Hot Rod cams will kill your torque, not give you much top end at all and are hard to tune for. I've put plenty in for friends. They never end up being worth it. They do sound cool though.

BAP for GT500
Yep, and 60lb or 80lb injectors. See your tuner about this.

Upgraded IC pump
Absolutely, keeping it cool IS EVERYTHING!

AFCO Heat exchanger (I assume the one with the fans)
Yes, that is a good one.

This is also a really good one. But you will need to add a 16" pusher fan to it:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-15405?seid=srese1&gclid=CJaM8N7ujLsCFecRMwod8X0APA

McLeod RST clutch (800hp)
Best clutch upgrade evah!

Maybe the SVT Fan upgrade (my choice)
Save your money. I'm running a stock fan and making anywhere from 750-1000hp depending on what fuel I'm running.

2.75" pulley/10% overdrive crankshaft pulley
This should get you really close to what you want.

The only thing I haven't figured out, is the belt size. What belt do I need to get?
No idea, someone like Brenspeed will probably know off the top of their heads.

If you can get it in the side you need use a Gates Fleetrunner belt (the green ones). They are a LOT better than the black ones.

Thanks

LEXiiON
No problem, good luck!

#7 ·
Thanks Sqidd (without the Uwhistling.gif)..

Question on the HE... the Edelbrock in the link looks nice, too... but i am not sure how much bigger it is compared to the current Roush ..

Thanks,

LEXiiON

Roush HE (18"x21")

Attachments

#8 ·
Real hard to tell from the pics. And you never know how these places measure their stuff. Does that include the tanks or not? How thick are they? What size tubes do they have and are they multi row. Also how big are the inlet/outlets?

I would get all the specs on the Roush and the Edlebrock and then compare them. It's hard to tell from the pictures what is what.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.