Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I contemplate purchasing a 2012 GT, an issue has come to my attention for which I didn't see a similar post on this forum.

The 2011+ car body has a black, plastic trim panel along the base of the car body. The material is relatively thin, has a textured surface and is low gloss. While chatting with a recent 2011 GT owner at a car show, he expressed considerable displeasure with this trim, saying it was difficult to keep clean and nearly impossible for removing residues, such as dried car wax that lapped over while polishing the rest of the car.

Are there some precautions with care of this black plastic trim piece? What are reliable products for cleaning the surface?

Another concern is a longer term one. Since the plastic piece will be exposed to the heat of pavement, I can only expect it to warp over time, causing gaps with other finished body panels and perhaps looseness.

When I talked with the dealer, they were clueless on these issues.

Any thoughts would be appreciated ... and thanks.

John9412

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I dont think that its going to warp or deform. But it is hard to keep clean and if it does get discolored or stained it could be fixed by tire shine or armorall just like the mach 1 lips.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here's a link to my prior post on this topic:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/292525-plastic-body-moldings.html#post2541059

I agree that all of the plastic exterior body moldings are ugly and difficult to keep clean. These moldings should have been painted body color as they were on the 2005 - 2009 Mustangs. That's why my Mustang is black; The moldings are not appealing on cars with other colors!

Mother's Black Back water stains badly, so it is not a solution. I find that Meguiar's Natural Shine Protectant works well as a cleaner, restores the color, and it does not water spot.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like the plastic down there. Maybe I'm dead wrong, but I'm thinking those bottom sections won't look as beat up in a few years as a painted part of the body. I always take great care of my cars, despite that, those sections on my trans am look a little rough.

The only thing I don't like about the plastic, is that it is VERY easy to get wax on them. As careful as I try to be, it still happens. I have no idea how to get it off of there....

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you use any number of the "new" waxes that leave "no white residue" you will be very happy! I use the Turttle wax ICE products and have had very good luck....there are many others. best regards Plum

·
Registered
585 Posts
These moldings should have been painted body color as they were on the 2005 - 2009 Mustangs.
Have you felt that plastic molding just behind the front tire? If that was painted it would have a gazillion rock chips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your helpful comments! I stopped by a local auto detailer today and he mentioned a product "TM 1000" used with great success. So it looks like there are some effective cleaning/restoring options out there. I would have preferred Ford to have not used plastic in that location but that's a design (and cost?) decision on their end.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah, I'll take the textured plastic any day. If that were painted it would be down to bare plastic within 10,000 miles. Mine feels like shark skin right behind the front wheels if I rub my hand across it from back to front. That location gets beat on pretty bad.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm in agreement with some of the others as this Black plastic is a god send for keeping the rockers from looking like a moon scape.
To avoid getting wax on these area's try using some painters tape to cover it.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The plastic trim was one of the things that kept me away from this model. I finally gave in and I'm glad I did.:winks

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
ICE is the way to go. You can put ICE on anything. It just makes the car go BLAM!! after a good go over with ICE. I'm sure there are other clear liquid synthetic waxes, but ICE does fine by me. I love the lower trim! I added the Roush side splitters to help keep road debris off the side lowers. Plus the side splitters go well with my front splitter. I love this car!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts