Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Randomly while driving down the freeway I suddenly smelled gas, no change in engine performance no dash lights no nothing besides the smell.
Got home just fine, glanced under the car the next morning and found a few small puddles towards the rear, no continuous dripping or anything, but nearly everything around the tank is coated in a thin layer of fuel from drivers side to passenger.
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread

I hopped in to see if starting the car would make it leak more so I could find the source but it didn't. Only seems to drip when left sitting and only smells inside the cabin briefly when sitting. Engine bay is clean, exhaust smells fine, mileage has been steady as a rock.
Had no issues filling up at the gas station just prior to the leak either. Only suspicious component I could find was this hose at the end of the filler neck, seems to be the highest point of moisture but again it isn't continuously leaking so I just can't tell. Could barely reach to feel if the crease in the hose actually went all the way through.
Automotive tire Leg Wood Hood Tread

Any ideas? All the shops around me are booked out to next week and this is my one and only ride.

·
Dragon Tail Master
2013 Mustang V6 Brembo
2,586 Posts
If you can pull the back seat out you can see if it is leaking from the top of the tank. pull up the Rubber and the fuel pumps are under them, one on each side.

·
Registered
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
2,468 Posts
You said while driving you started to smell gas so perhaps a piece of road debris cut your hose. The sloshing around of the gas during driving may have made it come out and splatter around.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts