Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm pulling up at the pet store to get my ferret some food a little while ago and this brand new red 370Z comes whipping through the parking lot and this guy's staring at me with a scowl:nogrinner

So he literally squeals his tires around the bend and zips into the spot next to me. I get out, he gets out, looking at me like he's ready to start a fight or something (maybe because I bought a mustang and not a Z, I dont know)

So (I'm a pretty big dude) I step in his path and stop him and pretty much get in his face and I say "Nice car, man. That thing is sweet!"

I swear I thought his head was going to explode! I like to think of myself as a decent writer, but Stephen King or William Faulkner couldn't do justice trying to describe the look on this guy's face. After his lips twitch a few times he says "Uhhh. . . thanks." And walks off angrily.

I don't understand why he would think there was some sort of animosity between us but he obviously did.

I wasn't lying however. His car was sweet looking. It looked like it could beat my car with half its cylinders tied behind its back lol.

I looked up the engine specs

Engine & Performance
  • Base engine size: 3.7 L
  • Cam type: Double overhead cam (DOHC)
  • Cylinders: V6
  • Valves: 24
  • Valve timing: Variable
  • Torque: 270 ft-lbs. @ 5200 rpm
  • Horsepower: 332 hp @ 7000 rpm Base engine type: gas
DriveTrain
  • Drive type: rear wheel drive
  • Transmission: 6-speed manual
How fast are these little things?

-Chris

·
Registered
784 Posts
haha, he probably wasn't expecting that. our cars are pretty evenly matched with theirs, so its mostly a drivers race.

·
Registered
123 Posts
So, I'm pulling up at the pet store to get my ferret some food a little while ago and this brand new red 370Z comes whipping through the parking lot and this guy's staring at me with a scowl:nogrinner

So he literally squeals his tires around the bend and zips into the spot next to me. I get out, he gets out, looking at me like he's ready to start a fight or something (maybe because I bought a mustang and not a Z, I dont know)

So (I'm a pretty big dude) I step in his path and stop him and pretty much get in his face and I say "Nice car, man. That thing is sweet!"

I swear I thought his head was going to explode! I like to think of myself as a decent writer, but Stephen King or William Faulkner couldn't do justice trying to describe the look on this guy's face. After his lips twitch a few times he says "Uhhh. . . thanks." And walks off angrily.

I don't understand why he would think there was some sort of animosity between us but he obviously did.

I wasn't lying however. His car was sweet looking. It looked like it could beat my car with half its cylinders tied behind its back lol.

I looked up the engine specs

Engine & Performance
  • Base engine size: 3.7 L
  • Cam type: Double overhead cam (DOHC)
  • Cylinders: V6
  • Valves: 24
  • Valve timing: Variable
  • Torque: 270 ft-lbs. @ 5200 rpm
  • Horsepower: 332 hp @ 7000 rpm Base engine type: gas
DriveTrain
  • Drive type: rear wheel drive
  • Transmission: 6-speed manual
How fast are these little things?

-Chris
I'm pretty sure you could take him with your set up. But i think they beat us on weight, so I'm sure he'd have some nice power from the line, but either way, you could take him! :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
What a douch bag....
Idiots want to start crap over nothing. Typical kids....

Yes, they are running 4.7 seconds to 60 and low 13's in the quarter.

I have it's cousin (g37 coupe), a little bit heavier, same drivetrain...7 spd auto. The car moves....very impressive for a v6.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So with my 4.10s, cai, and 93bama performance tune I would give him a race if not beat him? Or any stock Z? Or are the 350Zs quicker? I thought the 370Zs were better/faster? What's the difference?

·
Registered
531 Posts
haha maybe 5 mins earlier a stang kicked his azzz and he took it out on you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So with my 4.10s, cai, and 93bama performance tune I would give him a race if not beat him? Or any stock Z? Or are the 350Zs quicker? I thought the 370Zs were better/faster? What's the difference?
The 370z replaced the 350z not to long ago, theyre quick but around the stock gt levels, depending if his was modded you should take him, I know I have with no problem without the bottle by 3 to5 cars

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 370z replaced the 350z not to long ago, theyre quick but around the stock gt levels, depending if his was modded you should take him, I know I have with no problem without the bottle by 3 to5 cars

Thanks but with your mods you'd probably beat me by the same! lol:laugh:

-Chris

·
Registered
882 Posts
I test drove a 350z like 3 years ago. Those things are built for the track, they are light and super stable. That being said I would never just give someone a race, even if I know the odds are stacked against me, Im going to make them sweat to win.

·
Registered
806 Posts
they are kind of quick i beat one in my car by like maybe 1/5 of a car length. they are not slow. Although i will say that the 350z was slow for the amount of hype it got. I had a 96 z28 with just a k and n filter and dynomax exhaust at the time and he had a intake, full exhaust, and a couple other bolt ons and i still chewed him up from a roll or a dig, he lost by 3 to 4 car lengths

·
Registered
169 Posts
After reading the car mags on the 370Z (R&T C&D) I damn near bought one. They were called "The best sports car buy in the USA"...meaning fast and nearly as quick in the twisties as a Porsche. Great skid pad numbers. Far better than our Mustangs...over 1 G with the Nizmo package & summer tires.

Yeah, to me a good car needs more than 1/4 mile times.

Ahhh, but one attempt at fitting in a 370Z leads me to the Bullitt.
My 6'3" frame with a 34" inseam didn't work well in the little Z. I asked myself how I thought I'd feel after a 500 mile drive. Honestly answering that? I'd have to crawl out & be flat on my back for a spell.

If carving an Oregon canyon in my Bullitt, would I try to keep up with a 370Z? Nope...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After reading the car mags on the 370Z (R&T C&D) I damn near bought one. . .

Ahhh, but one attempt at fitting in a 370Z leads me to the Bullitt.
My 6'3" frame with a 34" inseam didn't work well in the little Z. I asked myself how I thought I'd feel after a 500 mile drive. Honestly answering that? I'd have to crawl out & be flat on my back for a spell.

Same here! I was going to test drive one a few days before I got my stang (and on the same lot as it turned out) and I sat behind the wheel and got out before the salesman had a chance to open the passenger door. Pretty much the same story with the Eclipse and RX-8. The mustang has more than enough room. . . but I must admit that it's a 3 seater when I'm driving. lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
To me, highway "performance"...meaning total performance, involves driver comfort. Is it a "500 mile car"? Meaning, can I make a 500 mile drive & arrive at my destination not feeling beaten to death?

I like to canyon carve, but the not wanting to get beaten to death prevents me from going the lowering springs, konis, bigger bars, etc.

To each his own, I guess.

·
Registered
806 Posts
yea my cobra is lowered a good bit and its a little rough during city driving considering my suspesion is pretty stiff, but highway driving isnt bad at all when im coasting along at 80mph at 2400 rpms. lol. the 350z and 370z seem really cheap on the inside. i dont like them. i also feel the 0-60 in 4.7 is a little overrated. i feel that 5.2 or 5.1 is more accurate. Considering i pulled on one off the line and unless my current 3.73 gears gave me that extra **** on 0-60 then i feel the 370z needs to be re evaluted. the magazines are a base line on what a car is capable of its not a carved in stone fact. driver mod also comes into play but i feel they are neat little cars but i wouldnt buy one. And back to the other post above im glad you went with a mustang, although im disappointed you looked at an rx 8 and eclipse at first:nono:. My buddy is into imports and he thinks they are the most elite cars out there, until about 3 months ago when he test drove a honda si and we almost laughed at the performance it put down. He ended up getting a RX 8 and i must admit it is a nice car, it can handle the turns very very well but the power just isnt there for me, i have yet to race him in my cobra but he swears he will keep up if not beat me. i beg to differ, and this is the same kid who had the 350z and got beat by my camaro z28. But like you said to each his own.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My buddies RX-8 is pretty damn fast. . . but that may have something to do with the stage 2 s/c he installed:laugh:

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
the 370Z is a 3.7L, compared to the 350z at 3.5....
Nissan really refined the 350 to build the 370, it's shorter in length as well, it's pricey however at around $40K
Yes they will scoot and watch out the new Maxima is just about as fast

·
Registered
806 Posts
the 370Z is a 3.7L, compared to the 350z at 3.5....
Nissan really refined the 350 to build the 370, it's shorter in length as well, it's pricey however at around $40K
Yes they will scoot and watch out the new Maxima is just about as fast
They are putting out a SE-R version of the maxima right? I always liked the SE-R version that nissan put out

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
The Z's are very good road racing cars. Wide stance, low to the ground, good suspension and decent hp. The one addition to the 370 that makes it better is the SynchroRev Match(manual transmission), or 7-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode, paddle shifters and Downshift Rev Matching. this makes shifting a breeze and in road coursing, thats a big plus. I've played with both the 350 & 370 Z on the tracks and they are very competitive. In the hands of a very good driver, they'd be hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Z's are very good road racing cars. Wide stance, low to the ground, good suspension and decent hp. The one addition to the 370 that makes it better is the SynchroRev Match(manual transmission), or 7-speed automatic transmission with manual shift mode, paddle shifters and Downshift Rev Matching. this makes shifting a breeze and in road coursing, thats a big plus. I've played with both the 350 & 370 Z on the tracks and they are very competitive. In the hands of a very good driver, they'd be hard to beat.

You convinced me! If I can somehow shrink by about 5-6 inches and lose a little weight I'm getting a Z!:laugh: lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts