Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a 5.0 with an automatic transmission. Does anyone have opinions on what the advantage or disadvantage would be if I installed the 3.55 or 3.73 gears? Thanks for any advice.:?:

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey Pugstang, I personally would not do anything steeper than the 3:55 I always heard of 4:10's but I think with this new car that would be a little too steep for the daily driver! And do you have pugs? I was reading your name lol I have 3 and man do they shed on my interior when I rarely let them in the car lol!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am also curious. Would you need a tune with the gears? Does getting the gears screw your warranty? Can you get gears from Ford (like Ford Racing) and if so would they be warrantied? Thank to anyone who can shed some light on this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
ill go for 373 i have an automatic with 373 still pushing on freeway alot of power with 410 you will be driving 60 miles on freeway really hard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Pugstang, I personally would not do anything steeper than the 3:55 I always heard of 4:10's but I think with this new car that would be a little too steep for the daily driver! And do you have pugs? I was reading your name lol I have 3 and man do they shed on my interior when I rarely let them in the car lol!
Yes, I have one Pug now. Did have three but lost 2 to old age. They were 13 and 11 years old. They shed alot but their well worth the aggrivation. We just bought a good vacum cleaner and also only take for car rides when we have time to clean afterwards.
Thanks for your input, get up early and home late so took a while to respond.:gringreen

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I ordered the 5.0 I asked the question about it they put the gears in at the dealership if this voided the warranty and they said no. As long as the work was performed by certified Ford dealer. Price for gears and install between 400$ to 500$.

·
Registered
59 Posts
When I ordered the 5.0 I asked the question about it they put the gears in at the dealership if this voided the warranty and they said no. As long as the work was performed by certified Ford dealer. Price for gears and install between 400$ to 500$.
That is fantastic news and will be the first thing I do. I'm still pissed that the V6 has the option to upgrade the auto transmission and not the V8. This makes me feel much better about going with the auto, thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
RoyBatty,
Have you driven a new 5.0 automatic yet? If so, one that has a few miles and is running on premium fuel?
Mine has just under 1000 miles and I am quite happy with the 3:15 ratio and this powertrain. All my previous late model Mustangs had sticks with 3:55 or 3:73 gears I have always been pretty picky about having a higher numerical ratio as it was the best cheapest way to wake up the car and increase torque multiplication. This new automatic to me runs real nice with the 3:15's.
Turns [email protected] and [email protected]. My 2008 Bullitt with the 3:73's turned [email protected]. This 2011 is quiet on a road trip and I am real happy with the gear set up. I have not noticed any gear noise at any speed or throttle position. Most of the 3:55 and 3:73 equipped Stangs I have had in the past had a slight gear whine (not bad) at some speed range. This whine issue if you consider it one can some times be harder to solve in the field with dealer installed gears unless the technician is really experienced at set up. It has been quite a few years but I experienced several sets of noisy Ford Motorsport gears back in the 90's.
This new 5.0 has pretty decent torque even with the 3:15's and I have already seen almost 27mpg on the highway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Couple things hindered the drive. It was a straight line, 3 lights up the road, U-turn and back. Also the first time I ever test drove a car, so I was probably babying it. I would be very surprised if they spent the $ to put premium in it, so I bet there are more horses under the hood to be unleashed. I will be going on a few more drive before signing anything, and my foot will be heavier this time around.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.