Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard about a limp mode on the 5.0. Is this true? Alternating between 4 cylinders?

Any other cool things that aren't in the mainstream if this one is true?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Lol tell them they are wrong. Must be a camarao smoker

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes it's in the dealer's source book - if the engine overheats it goes to a 4 cylinder operation.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Man, if I bought a new Mustang and they pretty much told me this car is going to overheat so they added this feature I would raise my right brow and ponder why my other cars do not have this and have never overheated. LOL, besides my03 Cobra, but really. . . who's hasn't!

·
Registered
73 Posts
i read about it.. if the car gets TOO hot.

it shuts off cylinders in alternating order (no spark or fuel ) and turns that cylinder into an air pump it to help cool the motor and help prevent damage to the block and heads. it does this to each cylinder one at a time. until the engine cools enough to run normal. it is not recomended you run the car for a long period of time in this mode. and something on the dash advises you of it running that way.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Limp mode is not a good thing. It means the computer has determined something is very wrong with the motor so it limits you to a low speed and low RPM so you can limp your way to help. I was having a problem with my 06 V6 going in to limp mode if I turned on cruise control on a cold motor, something with the torque sensor.

·
Registered
163 Posts
i read about it.. if the car gets TOO hot.

it shuts off cylinders in alternating order (no spark or fuel ) and turns that cylinder into an air pump it to help cool the motor and help prevent damage to the block and heads. it does this to each cylinder one at a time. until the engine cools enough to run normal. it is not recomended you run the car for a long period of time in this mode. and something on the dash advises you of it running that way.
It is just what it is called, "Limp Mode", to limp you to safety(as opposed to being stuck on a major highway) in the event of a major malfunction. All cars have them, this is not a 5.0 exclusive feature.:yelpleased:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Thinks of this the same way you would a fun flat tire system…not something you ever want to use but if you needed it you would be glad you had it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Quite a few situations could cause vehicle to enter "limp" mode almost all relating to the drivetrain. Ford does not offer MDS which drops out cylinders for fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
MDS is a nice feature, if you can turn it off. I have this on my 300C and it drastically affects performance. But, turned off all is well. I'm not sure how much it really helps from a mileage perspective though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.