Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted several months ago about my car "gear blocking" me. But now the MT82 has decided it wants to whine like a supercharger in gears 1, 2, 3, and 4. It does not whine, at least not that I can hear in 5th and 6th. Open to suggestions, including fluid swaps, but I don't want to put a lighter weight oil in that could increase wear, or a heavy weight oil that will increase my cold shifting effort, which is already at the fringe of grinding when shifting cold into 1, 2, and 3.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I believe only the heavier fluid would mask the whine if at all. Is common and has been discussed ad nauseum in the thread that is already stickied.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Red Line MTL....

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trust me, I read through the 7000+ posts and that is why I posted here, in the tech section, hoping maybe someone has some insight into this and hasn't posted in the talk section sticky.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fake, did you have whine before you switched fluids?

·
Registered
522 Posts
There is a whine thread?

I have only read through the 7600 post rough shifting thread. My transmission has never blocked me, popped out of gears, or shifted roughly, but I have noticed a faint whine in 2/3.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
fake, did you have whine before you switched fluids?
No brother, I didn't. I switched to MTL when I had 900 miles on the car. I have 1800 on it now.

If you do a switch, you will not believe the crap ford puts in the MT82. It smells exactly like a chemical and literly burned my eyes due to the fumes. I have never smelled a transmission fluid like that in my entire life. Now ford wants to put QDC fluid in the MT82, which is a dual clutch fluid for the focus. The MT82 isn't even a dual clutch transmission. This tells me ford has no clue about tranny fluid.

If you are getting a whine, there may already be damage done and no fluid will help you. However, I have read in numerous posts that Red Line MTL and the Royal Purple tranny fluid has helped quiet the whine.

Go to the dealer and let them look at it so it is documented before you think about doing anything.

·
Banned
106 Posts
I have had the same exact problems with my MT-82 since day one. Don't get the thinner fluid it doesn't do squat!! It will make your tranny whine even louder!!! The whine is most likely from your main shaft bearing. Take it to for and they will replace for you. After it happens again a whole new transmission goes in!! I wasn't happy until after that happened. For me they replaced every bearing and the main shaft the first time. But i can't stress enough DO NOT PUT THE FLUID FORD SUGGEST!! That fluid is only for hard shifting not whine!!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Does in whine more when your hand is on the shifter or it doesn't matter the damn thing whines all the time?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Just don't bother! More than 50% of MT82 owners have gear whine. Consider yourself lucky if you just have the whine. Many owners have their shifters popping out of 1st or 2nd under heavy acceleration, or not engaging into 2nd or 3rd. This whole mess about mt82 is known and I guess everyone just got used to living with it. No real solution yet. Not even ford knows how to fix it.

My MT82 whines almost at all gears. So I installed Roush axle backs. I don't hear anything anymore :) 1st and 2nd gears are like brick walls when the engine is cold so Im now taking of at 3rd :) and shifting from 5th to 6th and back, at low rpm grinds. Even 2nd to 3rd when the gear box is cold. So on.. I don't care anymore. I love my car. I accepted it with its flaws. :)) you should do the same and stop worrying..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just don't bother! More than 50% of MT82 owners have gear whine. Consider yourself lucky if you just have the whine. Many owners have their shifters popping out of 1st or 2nd under heavy acceleration, or not engaging into 2nd or 3rd. This whole mess about mt82 is known and I guess everyone just got used to living with it. No real solution yet. Not even ford knows how to fix it.

My MT82 whines almost at all gears. So I installed Roush axle backs. I don't hear anything anymore :) 1st and 2nd gears are like brick walls when the engine is cold so Im now taking of at 3rd :) and shifting from 5th to 6th and back, at low rpm grinds. Even 2nd to 3rd when the gear box is cold. So on.. I don't care anymore. I love my car. I accepted it with its flaws. :)) you should do the same and stop worrying..
Nice to hear your such a good sport about it. However, considering the cost of these vehicles, those characteristics are unacceptable.

·
Registered
666 Posts
It is a very well known issue and no one has the solution to it. This is just a simple fact. You are absolutely right though. I live in Switzerland. I went through hell just to import one of these over here. It ended up costing me almost 50 grand in total. Probably almost twice as much as you guys pay in the uS. The situation is even worse for me. And it is sad that ford has not yet come up with a proper explanation. Anyway.. I'm not even sure if I could benefit from a possible recall from over here. So I just accepted to live with my grinding whining Chinese gear box :)

·
Banned
885 Posts
Do not do the fluid change!That is supposedly for cold shift effort not whine!

I complained to my dealer about a slight grind issue in the 1-2 & 2-3 shift & of course could not replicate normal operation.So they wanted to do the fluid change & I refused.I've seen reports about the transmission starting to whine after changing to the tinner dual clutch fluid.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Transmission fluid changed....10x better. Not the best but I'm not broken in yet with only 400 miles.

·
Banned
885 Posts
Transmission fluid changed....10x better. Not the best but I'm not broken in yet with only 400 miles.
Better what?Cold shift effort or whine elimination?

Since you only have 400 miles you shouldn't of had either.

A new 12 with 400 miles should of already had the thinner fluid from the factory.YES?

Or did you change to MTL or RP transmission fluid?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have to agree... I had the impossible cold shift, and rough shifting all around. They performed the TSB putting in the fluid to my tranny. It was much smoother... but over time it developed the dreaded whining. Given that my engine is ticking and now it's being replaced, I think the whining pales in comparison for now :\

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does in whine more when your hand is on the shifter or it doesn't matter the damn thing whines all the time?

Yes John, It makes more noise when my Hand is on the shifter, especially if I move it around (still in the gear), especially 2nd. At first it was more of just a grinding sound if I moved the Shifter around(still in the gear).

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can it be any 70w80 gear fluid? I can't get mtl in Switzerland.
You can have a 5.0 shipped to Switzerland, but can't get some MTL? BTW, that is where my family is from, such a beautiful country!

·
Registered
508 Posts
by9468840;[URL="tel:2786656" said:
2786656[/URL]]Just don't bother! More than 50% of MT82 owners have gear whine. Consider yourself lucky if you just have the whine. Many owners have their shifters popping out of 1st or 2nd under heavy acceleration, or not engaging into 2nd or 3rd. This whole mess about mt82 is known and I guess everyone just got used to living with it. No real solution yet. Not even ford knows how to fix it.

this is exactly what my trans does now that its colder outside. i can drive for 30min and it still will be unhappy to shift grind free into 2nd, and 3rd is better but till grinds. so like you i just start off in second and run it that way... finally it heats up the fluid enough and it will slip in nice and smooth but that takes over an hour and i'm not kidding. if you dare try to use first / second shift with this car cold, you are going to hurt the trans, you can hear it destroying the syncro's ever time.

so the next thing for me is royal purple or mtl, have not decided what is best yet. back on topic of gear whine, my trans was silent until i put in the steeda bushing and bracket. now its loud and has an awesome race car type whine. its onl annoying in 6th for some reason it resonates a bit there. but its not bad.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts