Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 mustang 8.8 gear install Hello I'm getting 410 gears installed on my 2011 v6 but was told by american muscle I needed a new bearing to do so due to a change the ford made to the 8.8 rear end in 2010 has anyone else ran into problem?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Yes, the inner pinion bearing is different than older Mustang 8.8 rears.

Ford part# 9L3Z-4630-A is the one you need.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If your installer knows what they are doing and has a good bearing puller, they can re-use the same one that is on the car now.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
If your installer knows what they are doing and has a good bearing puller, they can re-use the same one that is on the car now.
And if they bugger it up trying to pull it off then you are stuck.

None of the parts stores has the correct bearing yet and many times the dealers parts department doesn't have one either.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
2011 mustang 8.8 gear install Hello I'm getting 410 gears installed on my 2011 v6 but was told by american muscle I needed a new bearing to do so due to a change the ford made to the 8.8 rear end in 2010 has anyone else ran into problem?
That's an awful lot of gear! Is this a daily driver?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Yes, there is a new bearing. The old one will work and fit, the backlash will just never be correct or vice versa the patten will never be correct. It will not lead to anything good.

So, this is the new bearing that will clear everything up. I don't care how good the shop is that's doing the install - I'd want the new bearing.

Rear Gear Pinion Bearing - 8.8in (10-12 V8; 11-12 V6) at AmericanMuscle.com!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yes, there is a new bearing. The old one will work and fit, the backlash will just never be correct or vice versa the patten will never be correct. It will not lead to anything good.

So, this is the new bearing that will clear everything up. I don't care how good the shop is that's doing the install - I'd want the new bearing.
I went through sh!t loads of headaches when I had my 3.73 installed. What Chris said is dead on don't be cheap and change the pinion bearing :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm going thru the "Headaches" right now! Had the 373's installed on Tuesday, just put in a New Pinion Bearing as Instructed by AM, due to the low milage on my stang.
Wednsday started have a noise when you let up on the excellerator like a "JET" plane was landing in my back seat. Called the installer and he said bring it back in on Thursday and they would see what was happening. They called and cancelled until Friday morning.
Got there at 8:30 and they got my car on the rack at 1:45pm. The head mechanic drove it prior to than and swore up and down that it was a bearing going bad, either an axel or carrier bearing he didn't know which one.
They tore the whole thing back down, replaced all the bearings reinstalled everything and guess what? SAME DAMN NOISE!
I contacted AM today and they want me to call again on Monday and they will see what they can do about getting me a new set of gears and what they can do about the cost of reinstallation.
This really SUCKS. The noise blasts over the radio and I have it up loud.
I know to expect some rear end noise with the 373 gearing, but what I'm getting is totally
"UNEXCEPTABLE" I drove by my house and my wife said she could hear it as I drove by!:nono:
I will post the outcome!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I had 3.73s done on my 2011 3.7 before I sold it without buying a new pinion bearing.
I put about 1200miles on em no issues just my .02c

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm going thru the "Headaches" right now!...
I know to expect some rear end noise with the 373 gearing, but what I'm getting is totally
"UNEXCEPTABLE"
I did a gear swap from 3.31 to 3.55. The performance shop didn't have the bearing in stock, and neither did their usual Ford parts dealer, but they found the correct one at another Ford dealer across town. I was there when the owner was on the phone with them, he said "make sure it's the one for the 2011, it's different."

I haven't heard much noise either. I sometimes can just barely hear it when I let off the gas. There are two kinds of lube that go into the rear end, the synthetic rear axle oil and a friction modifier for the traction-lok. Don't know if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
I'm going thru the "Headaches" right now! Had the 373's installed on Tuesday, just put in a New Pinion Bearing as Instructed by AM, due to the low milage on my stang.
Wednsday started have a noise when you let up on the excellerator like a "JET" plane was landing in my back seat. Called the installer and he said bring it back in on Thursday and they would see what was happening. They called and cancelled until Friday morning.
Got there at 8:30 and they got my car on the rack at 1:45pm. The head mechanic drove it prior to than and swore up and down that it was a bearing going bad, either an axel or carrier bearing he didn't know which one.
They tore the whole thing back down, replaced all the bearings reinstalled everything and guess what? SAME DAMN NOISE!
I contacted AM today and they want me to call again on Monday and they will see what they can do about getting me a new set of gears and what they can do about the cost of reinstallation.
"UNEXCEPTABLE" I drove by my house and my wife said she could hear it as I drove by!:nono:
I will post the outcome!
Your problem is definitely NOT bearing related, at least not a bearing making noise.

What you have is incorrect backlash making the gears howl when rolling and the load is off.

Unfortunately the shop did the setup wrong and the gears are ruined now. No matter what is done with them now a wear pattern has been established and they will always make noise no matter whether they re-do the setup and correct the backlash.

The only way to make it stop is to start over with new gears.

I'm sure the shop will argue this with you to the very end claiming not to be at fault but they are.

This is why it is imperative to find a shop to do the gear setup that has tons of gear setup experience.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I went on the safe side and got the bearing. It was 50$:-( then I went to a local napa for some 75w-140 gear oil from Royal purple and man that stuff wasn't cheap either 20$ a court and you need 3 to do a gear swap I should have went with the combo deal on AM but I already have a sct tuner this swap is definately not cheap hopefully I get more bang for my buck with the 410's

·
Registered
646 Posts
Don't the V6ers come with 2.73's stock? Yeah, going to 4.10's you are going to see a HUGE difference. That is one big jump, it'll drive like a whole different car. That kind of a jump will probably make a noticeable dent in fuel economy too. Do they have LSD diffs in them? If not, this is the time to get one. You'll need the traction help, and you'll be doing the same amount of labor.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
So I went on the safe side and got the bearing. It was 50$:-( then I went to a local napa for some 75w-140 gear oil from Royal purple and man that stuff wasn't cheap either 20$ a court and you need 3 to do a gear swap I should have went with the combo deal on AM but I already have a sct tuner this swap is definately not cheap hopefully I get more bang for my buck with the 410's
Just make sure that the shop that does the install for you has done LOTS of 8.8 Fords before.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah going to dyno edge they specialize in mustangs, so are you saying I need an aftermarket limited slip differential, wont the stock one work fine?

·
Registered
646 Posts
If you don't have one already, yeah I'd definitely do it. It'll physically bolt up and work, but it'll still be an open diff. Not what you want for performance. Otherwise you'll have traction issues and those nice one wheel burnouts. I know all GT's have them factory, I don't know about the V6's. It's no extra labor when changing gears, so if you don't have one this is the time to get it done.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I will post the outcome!

Sounds to me like backlash, honestly. Don't quote me, maybe someone here can verify, but I think you're supposed to have backlash between .008" and .010"? Maybe it was 6-12. Either way, if this is set up incorrectly, the car will whine on decel. The problem is that once you drive the car this way for a good amount of time, you need new gears. That's definitely an install problem, and the shop should be fixing it for you.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Sounds to me like backlash, honestly. Don't quote me, maybe someone here can verify, but I think you're supposed to have backlash between .008" and .010"? Maybe it was 6-12. Either way, if this is set up incorrectly, the car will whine on decel. The problem is that once you drive the car this way for a good amount of time, you need new gears. That's definitely an install problem, and the shop should be fixing it for you.
Thanks for telling him the same thing I said and backing me up.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks to everyone one for all the GOOD feedback. I talked to the guys at AM and they confermed what everyone here is saying.
I'm going back to that shop thismorning and see what can be done. someone is going to FIX this situation for sure. I knew when that mechanic said " I've done it this way in the past and it always works" something was going to go WRONG!:nono:

Will keep the board up to date as this works out!:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.