Ford Mustang Forum banner

Who would purchase an LX model mustang if it was available?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the 5.0 is back, how many people would buy an LX model if it were available? I know I would get an LX any day over a GT. My LX would consist of 5.0, 6 speed manual, 3.73s, Brembos, spoiler delete, foglight delete grille, a pony delete from the grille along with a black chrome accent around the perimeter of the grille kinda like the 08 bullit. Also maybe clean up the rocker panels if at all possible, and have an LX faux fuel door on the decklid or just deleted all together. Color would be performance white or grabber blue.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would get a LX for sure if they offered the 5.0 option.My first Mustang was a 91 LX notch with 5.0 AOD

I had heads,GT40 intake,Lunati cam and a Art Car built AOD with non lock up 2800 stall converter:) it was a real sleeper. I even swapped the pony wheels for the old 10 hole wheels.

I surprised many a camaro and others who thought it was a 4banger with 5.0 badges.Most Mustang guys knew better as they were aware of the dual exhaust and sound of a cammed 5.0 with the required 2 chamber flows and OR-H pipe

I doubt Ford will bring back the LX with the 5.0 option but it would be nice:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
27 Posts
GT for me but only because I own an '89 GT, if I owned an '89 LX 5.0 I'd probably feel differently

·
Registered
27 Posts
It would need the V6 nose, spoiler delete, cloth seats...

I'm still considering doing a V6 nose swap on my 2011 5.0L... if it ever gets here

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here's my idea of what an LX could be:

Ford offers a $26,000 MSRP naked version of the GT.

Cloth, optional rear seat delete(with rear seat belt and hardware deletes), no radio, no power seats, no AC, manual windows, etc.

Only other available option is brembos (with 18" or 19" optional rim) summer performance tire option, and rear gear choice.

Get it to weigh about 3350 lbs. from ditching all the electric motors(windows/seats) and AC, radio/speakers, etc.

Better all-around performance, mpgs, much cheaper, but sacrifice the comfort/convenience options.

·
Registered
257 Posts

Cloth, optional rear seat delete(with rear seat belt and hardware deletes), no radio, no power seats, no AC, manual windows, etc.

Only other available option is brembos (with 18" or 19" optional rim) summer performance tire option, and rear gear choice.

Get it to weigh about 3350 lbs. from ditching all the electric motors(windows/seats) and AC, radio/speakers, etc.

Better all-around performance, mpgs, much cheaper, but sacrifice the comfort/convenience options.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said! Get the weight down, make this thing a real screamer! Not that it isn't already, but make it even faster!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said! Get the weight down, make this thing a real screamer! Not that it isn't already, but make it even faster!
I tried to get my fleet manager to order a performance white GT, 300A 6 speed manual, Brembos, spoiler delete, and 3.73s which is about as basic as you can get, but she said no. Reason being she said that the premium GTs cost only like 2k more so the price difference is marginal. I was bummed, just because I wanted to have someone find the car that i optioned out and be happy with it. The price i would have paid would have been around 29k before taxes, so if there were any rebates or special incentives say in a few years, it may very well be 29k out the door.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Yes an LX option would be nice By the way Zilla, those '91 LX 5.0s were sweet. But man, did the they need traction control!

I'd like a very simple, no frills and much lighter LX offering , or whatever they want to call it. Imagine having roll up windows, no power locks, just stero and A/C. That would be fine with me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sort of a Mustang tradition to offer both a notchback and a fastback; an LX would be a great way to revive that tradition. Keep the standard equipment low to keep the cost/weight down, throw in a notchback roof, and offer up some of the cooler performance goodies. The LX was the "racer" version for people in the know back in the '80s, for people who didn't need the "glitz'" of the GT. It worked on the Road Runner 40 years ago and would still work today!

·
Registered
86 Posts
You guys are making me miss my old '92 LX 5.0 5-speed vert...

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
The only difference between the LX and GT fox bodies was 200 pounds of ground effects, some idiot lights, and an extra grand on the price. Since Ford got rid of those ground effects it would be pretty hard to actually make an LX model.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
When I ordered my car the way I did it was kinda with the LX in mind. All performance and little for comfort. So yes I definitely would've bought one if they offered it today. Go fast for less!:racer:

·
Registered
603 Posts

Why stop there, ditch the passenger seat, get the vert then remove the roof, remove trunk lid too. Call the L-x:welcometolastweek:

·
Registered
283 Posts
Since I already have a 2011 GT I think I'll stick with it. A lower cost stripped down alternative would definitely be cool though if available, but then you'd be getting into V6 prices and I don't think Ford would do that. As it is now you can buy a base GT for about the cost of a Premium V6.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tried to get my fleet manager to order a performance white GT, 300A 6 speed manual, Brembos, spoiler delete, and 3.73s which is about as basic as you can get, but she said no. Reason being she said that the premium GTs cost only like 2k more so the price difference is marginal. I was bummed, just because I wanted to have someone find the car that i optioned out and be happy with it. The price i would have paid would have been around 29k before taxes, so if there were any rebates or special incentives say in a few years, it may very well be 29k out the door.

Say what? Go to another dealer. She obviously didnt want to order direct from Ford. She wants you to buy their inventory. There is no reason you cant buy that basic GT with selected options

·
Registered
195 Posts
The new LX is the 300A GT and that what i order ( 300A , brembos , 3.73 ) it comes with most the stuff i wanted with out the stuff i didn't want . The only thing for me it realy need was a leather wrap steering wheel and i got a every nice one for $360 dollars (bullitt) .

·
Registered
195 Posts
One more thing my First and only mustang i had up to the new 2011 i just got was a 5.0 88 LX nocthback with the 10 holes rims . The car wieght 3,050 pounds . I took the silncer off the air box, pullies and a short belt 13.99 at 100 mph . I had the most fun with that car. I put 250,000 miles on it and it was still running in the 13s till a old lady ran a stop sign T bone the car and kill it .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.