Ford Mustang Forum banner

2011 Challanger Threat

12K views 125 replies 62 participants last post by  MBreinin 
#1 ·
Chrysler is comming out with a NEW Chalanger for 2011 called the 392 Inaugural Edition,big change under the hood 6.4 liter 470 HP and 470 foot pounds of torque firmer shocks,recalibrated suspension new steering ratios for better handling.This car sounds like it could be trouble for our 5.0 Mustangs I will be looking for the SRT8 when we go to the Sebring Track this winter could be an interesting run,what do you guys think?

#4 ·
#5 ·
More power and still the same weight. Super. My 1000hp RT has trouble keeping up with cars just because it weighs so darn much. Someday they will learn.

And Im sure its more like 500+hp, but rated what it is for insurance purposes. If I had the option to buy a new car these days, Id be waiting for that twin turbo Nelson Racing/Shelby Mustang:bigthumbsup

#6 ·
I would love to have a challenger sitting next to my 2011 5.0 but at $45000+ dodge is smoking some good ****. Its supposed to be a performance car but 470+ hp isnt good enough it needs to lose weight. My 5.0 is around 510 at the crank with headers, o/r x pipe, catback exhaust, cai, tune and weighs at least 600 pounds less. It cost me about $3000 for the mods so $36000 plus $3000= $39000. Get some!:laugh:

#7 ·
I got my 5.0 almost loaded for 35K. Give me 10k and let me see what mayhem would ensue? Upgraded bottom end and serious boost? I ain't scared.

#8 ·
Reference the 4.6 with a little work and a good FI set-up. We have the aftermarket advantage, if nothing else? And a better chassis?

#9 ·
There's only going to be 1,492 made, and 392 of those are going to Canada...which leaves 1,100 for the US.

I'm sure a majority of those will be bought, and parked. Few will actually be driven.

Even then, it only performs about on par with the 5.0.

#10 ·
I'm not a Challenger guy, nor a Mustang guy for that matter, but I've love to get my hands on one of those new Challengers. What a sweet ride it would be.. not for track of course, but just cruising around.

#62 ·
i'm not a challenger guy, nor a mustang guy for that matter, but i've love to get my hands on one of those new challengers. What a sweet ride it would be.. Not for track of course, but just cruising around.
if you are not a mustang guy, than you dont deserve one, or to be on this forum for that matter! As far as you being that big,doesnt intimidate any of us mustang fans in here!! Being in law enforcement, i have dealt with many guys like you before. The bigger you are, the harder you go down!!

#11 ·
weight and still yet a bigger engine to outperform ford lol. gm and chrysler still dont get it

#23 ·
One at the track. There is a video of it. Ran 12.44

YouTube - 392drags

I have concerns about how low this trap speed was. 110 is what a mustang traps at with a slower time. A heavier car with more power would trap higher in my opinion. I think the car was on some sort of sticky tire like maybe a drag radial. Otherwise I don't see how the trap is so low or how it hooked so hard.

#14 ·
45k is msrp, and let's face it, these will be marked up the ass at dealers.

you will have a hard time finding them on the road let alone the baby boomer owner who will actually race. sweet car, but it is still a dodge/Chrysler (one of the worst automakers right now) and you can spend similar money on a gt500 which has just as much exclusivity and outperforms it in every way. besides, dodge isn't competing with the 5.0, they don't have a car in the price range that does that; this is to compete with gt500/upcoming z28 camaro etc.

#15 ·
I think its a big fat pig.

#16 ·
The information on the 2011 Challenger is kind of misleading. There are 1492 392 editions being built, but the 2011 SRT 8 is getting the 6.4 hemi, not the previous 6.1. I agree with the other posters, $45k is too much for the car. A Mustang or Camaro is a better value, but reviews and owners report that the Challenger is the most comfortable one of the three.

#24 ·
The information on the 2011 Challenger is kind of misleading. There are 1492 392 editions being built, but the 2011 SRT 8 is getting the 6.4 hemi, not the previous 6.1. I agree with the other posters, $45k is too much for the car. A Mustang or Camaro is a better value, but reviews and owners report that the Challenger is the most comfortable one of the three.

A CTSV is more comfortable and faster than all of the above but I didn't think we were talking about comfort here.

#21 ·
Here's the thing: If anyone would like to own the new Challenger, go buy one.

#22 ·
Can't, just bought an awesome mustang that I am completely unwilling to trade in and the mustang is by far the better car. Doesn't mean I can't lust after other cool cars.

#28 ·
I love my Mustang, believe me.

But I don't think anyone can objectively deny that the Challenger is one of the sexiest aesthetic automotive masterpieces on the road. EVERY time I see one in my peripheral vision my head snaps around to ogle.

Hate the interior (even the '11)---and it is a gas-guzzling battleship. But it is gorgeous on the outside.

#29 ·
For the price you could easily add a couple power modifications and some drag radials to a loaded 5.0 and still come out on top.

#30 ·
True, but a lot is to be said about the fact that it's so fast stock.

You can buy a bone stock Civic DX and for the the 12k difference from a Mustang GT you can easily make it faster than the mustang. :)

Stupid example but you see what I mean. Stock mean all warranty intact and no issues.

I'm still not convinced the SRT will be faster though, even with 470hp I think it might be a close race. But my point is that the SRT can put some mods on it too. Why does it have to be a Stock SRT vs a Modded GT Mustang

#31 ·
I like the looks of the Challenger, but one thing for sure. They wont compair it to a M3 on the track. The Mustang GT will kill it on a Trans Am track. This is why i bought the GT, its the best track car out there for the money. Ronn

#32 ·
Until they correct the engine stall issues and upgrade the interior I wouldn't buy one.

I test drove the 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, 2010 Challenger SRT8 and the 2011 Mustang 5.0. The Camaro interior and visibility was a joke. The trunk was worse. The clutch and shifting was no where near as smooth as the 5.0. And if you go to the automatic you lose 25 HP. What's up with that?

The Challenger was nice looking with lots of interior room and would have been great since I have kids but the interior was beyond cheap looking. Do a google search for "Challenger engine stall". That is a major problem with them. In both the 5.7 and 6.1 engines so I assume the new 6.4 will have major problems of it's own. I joined the Challenger talk forum when I thought I was buying one. Tons of posts on there about the stall problem and other major problems. Scratched window tint from rollers being too tight, serp belts shredding and window molding cracking just to name a few problems. The one I looked at on the dealer lot had cracks around the base of the window on the interior. Just cheap crap.

The Mustang is better all around. Interior is awesome. Little details like the lighting and surfaces are great touches. The weight to HP ratio is better than all three and the after market performance products are going to be endless. Look at previous years. By next year you will be able to upgrade anything on the Mustang you want for much less that it will cost on the Challenger and still have a faster better performing car for less than the base price of the 2011 SRT8. IMO I made the right decision with the Mustang 5.0

Again this is just my opinion from test driving and researching all three.

#45 ·
Until they correct the engine stall issues and upgrade the interior I wouldn't buy one.

I test drove the 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, 2010 Challenger SRT8 and the 2011 Mustang 5.0. The Camaro interior and visibility was a joke. The trunk was worse. The clutch and shifting was no where near as smooth as the 5.0. And if you go to the automatic you lose 25 HP. What's up with that?

The Challenger was nice looking with lots of interior room and would have been great since I have kids but the interior was beyond cheap looking. Do a google search for "Challenger engine stall". That is a major problem with them. In both the 5.7 and 6.1 engines so I assume the new 6.4 will have major problems of it's own. I joined the Challenger talk forum when I thought I was buying one. Tons of posts on there about the stall problem and other major problems. Scratched window tint from rollers being too tight, serp belts shredding and window molding cracking just to name a few problems. The one I looked at on the dealer lot had cracks around the base of the window on the interior. Just cheap crap.

The Mustang is better all around. Interior is awesome. Little details like the lighting and surfaces are great touches. The weight to HP ratio is better than all three and the after market performance products are going to be endless. Look at previous years. By next year you will be able to upgrade anything on the Mustang you want for much less that it will cost on the Challenger and still have a faster better performing car for less than the base price of the 2011 SRT8. IMO I made the right decision with the Mustang 5.0

Again this is just my opinion from test driving and researching all three.
Couldn't agree more. Challenger looks very awesome, but I just down right hate the interior. Looked way too cheap; felt way too big in a bad way. What I mean is having room is fine, but I felt like I was sitting in something made of blocks. Mustang looks awesome and the interior is so many times better than the Challenger and better thoughtout than the Camaro.

Here is the thing about power. If you look at HP per liter:
Mustang 5.0L = 82.4HP/L (84.0HP/L being more realistic)
Camaro 6.2L = 68.7HP/L
Challenger = 75.0HP/L

The Mustang and Camaro handle tons better than Challenger and Ford is still using a solid axle...

#47 ·
Looking at dyno results on several forums, the median or average horsepower for stock 2011 5.0 is around 350hp-360hp to the rear wheels. This is right on par with Ford's 412 rating. Just picked up my 2011 GT500 yesterday. It will spank my 2011 GT/CS manual 3.73 with exhaust mods and BAMA race tune. The Snake would still spank it even if I had a few more bolt-ons. Once I pulley it and load tune only hope for GT will be Whipple.:hihi:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.