Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a set of cams and I was wondering if anyone has installed the Comp Cams Stage 2 XFI NSR set. A friend of mine who bought my old 2006 GT just recently installed a set of FRPP Hot Rod Cams into his car (which sounds bad ass by the way)and I'm looking to find a cam set that will give my 5.0 a similar lopey idle sound. I'm looking for feedback on these cams before I purchase them. Will these Comp Cams give me the sound I want or will the TI-VCT keep them quiet? I know there is a tune out there to give the sound from the stock cams but I do not want a ghost cam tune.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I never heard them but I have read that they have a different idle sound I don't know how rough is it tuo. But I wouldn't get cams for the sound. If sound is wuat you want just get a ghist cam tune. You will save at least 1000 bucks.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never heard them but I have read that they have a different idle sound I don't know how rough is it tuo. But I wouldn't get cams for the sound. If sound is wuat you want just get a ghist cam tune. You will save at least 1000 bucks.

All I've read so far is people using the turn key ghost tune to give the lopey sound but I want the real deal. The cost of the cams is not a concern for me. I want the extra performance gains as well, so the turn key ghost tune is something I won't settle for. Plus cams are apart of my build plans. I'm just trying to get a good idea on which cams will give me the lopey sound and the extra performance I'm looking for.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Well if that's the case just get the nsr stage 3 cams. On am site it says that they have a lopy idle. You will need tall gearing and they alsao recomend long tubes as well.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if that's the case just get the nsr stage 3 cams. On am site it says that they have a lopy idle. You will need tall gearing and they alsao recomend long tubes as well.

Just a FYI.

I just got off the phone with Erik at Bama Chips and I inquired about the ghost tune and he stated they are not issuing these tunes as of yet. He also said the ghost tune is only good for sound when the car is sitting at idle.

I spoke with a guy at Comp Cams and he said he hasn't heard much feedback yet on the new cams for the coyote. However he did say "quote" there is enough duration on the stage 2 that will make her talk. He also said that the stage 3 it will without a doubt give me that lopey idle I'm looking for.

So assuming I go for the stage 3 cams on American Muscle, what gears should I be considering (3.73/4.10) and is it a must? Long tube headers, high flow catted x-pipe and mufflers are apart of my build also and will be part of my order as soon as I figured out which cams to go with.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I knew about the ghost cam tune and that its just for idle sound. You can still get it from lethal performance. Its not a must to get taller gear but with the stage 3 cams you will have less torque to work with at low rpm that's why they pretty much want you to have a tall rear. As far as long tubes goes I'm sure that it has to do with scavenging effect because of the cam overlap. I'm sure that long tubes or even shortys with equal length tubes would be good enough. I don't think that carlts or mufflers would affect it much.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've been looking at the stage 2 cams myself for a couple days, but waiting for the write up from Brenspeed which should be in 5.0 or MMFF fairly soon. I did find this document over the weekend which has a dyno of the stage 3 cams on page 2:
http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/COMP5-138 LoRes.pdf

Basically, the stage 3 showed +46 rwhp, but made less power than stock below 5000 rpms. Stage 2 showed +28-38 rwhp. Also, according to LRS, the stage 2 will have a "noticeable idle"
2011-12 Mustang 5.0L Camshafts, Comp Xfi Nsr Na Stage 2 by Comp Cams at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

·
Registered
167 Posts
the LOBE SEP angel is 126.
the lower the LSA THE more lobe u get. honestly i dont think this will make much sound. thats why im waiting till they make better ones with a low LSA.
i think the hot rod cams on your frinds has a LSA of 117.

G

·
All I've read so far is people using the turn key ghost tune to give the lopey sound but I want the real deal. The cost of the cams is not a concern for me. I want the extra performance gains as well, so the turn key ghost tune is something I won't settle for. Plus cams are apart of my build plans. I'm just trying to get a good idea on which cams will give me the lopey sound and the extra performance I'm looking for.

If performance is your main goal and cost is not a big deal then don't just buy parts here and there. Get the engine built with everything it needs to achieve the performance you want. JPC and Livernois(among others) have complete packages including heads, cams, forged bottom ends, and experience building engines that will get you what you want.
You can have the baddest new part on your car and still get beat by someone who has a mild setup that just works right. Call one of the many reputable shops and ask about a complete build.

http://store.jpcracing.com/

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/
just to name a few...

·
Registered
5 Posts
From what I heard, unless you go super aggressive, cams aren't going to give you that old school lopey idle due to the TI-VCT. From the cammed Coyote's I've heard, you wouldn't know they had aftermarket cams.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts