Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this tick now after 15k. I hear when the engine is warm it happens which makes sense since the heat index is nearly 120 today here in MN/WI.

I remember reading about this a year ago.

Did ford ever fix this issue?

If so, what was the fix? Hopefully not the same thick oil additive...

G

·
0 Posts
Only a dealership can actually fix the problem. Take the car in to get it diagnosed and repaired as step #1.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only a dealership can actually fix the problem. Take the car in to get it diagnosed and repaired as step #1.
Well I understand that, I just want to know if Ford has a fix for it.... TSB/recall or standard process that anyone has any experience with?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Well I understand that, I just want to know if Ford has a fix for it.... TSB/recall or standard process that anyone has any experience with?
Nope and nope

Just played this game last week.. Unless you want to deal with not having your car for a week.. Might as well live with it... The dealership will tell you it is normal cause that's what Ford tells them to say.. Taking it in to the dealer may help Ford realize that there is a problem, I don't know... It will document that you have the issue, in case of engine failure or something...

If they pour some snakejuice in your crankcase.. It's not a fix... Just a band aid.. From what has been discussed in the forum, the tick comes back next oil change..

Until Ford recognizes that it is a problem.. Makes a TSB or a recall.. There isn't much a dealer will do unless it's on your dime...

Sucks doesn't it??

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
its nothing thats been proven as an actual issue other than a noise, doesnt hurt performance......

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope and nope

Just played this game last week.. Unless you want to deal with not having your car for a week.. Might as well live with it... The dealership will tell you it is normal cause that's what Ford tells them to say.. Taking it in to the dealer may help Ford realize that there is a problem, I don't know... It will document that you have the issue, in case of engine failure or something...

If they pour some snakejuice in your crankcase.. It's not a fix... Just a band aid.. From what has been discussed in the forum, the tick comes back next oil change..

Until Ford recognizes that it is a problem.. Makes a TSB or a recall.. There isn't much a dealer will do unless it's on your dime...

Sucks doesn't it??
Tranny issues and tick issues for me then.
Do 2012's have the tick as well?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have littl over 4k miles on my 012 and I listen to my engine once a week and have yet to hear this tick. Although now that I posted this my engine will prolly tick now. No oil change yet.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would make em fix your trans issues brotha.. Popping out of gear? grinding?

The 2012 I test drove didn't tick... Then again my car doesn't always tick either.. I have to drive it a good bit..

I would just like to know for sure what it is.. When I asked the foreman at my dealer what the noise was.. He looked off and said stuff in the rotating assy on the top end.. "This car has 2 cams per bank! It's noisy".. I said.. " know what it has.. What is making the noise?" He didn't know..

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would make em fix your trans issues brotha.. Popping out of gear? grinding?

The 2012 I test drove didn't tick... Then again my car doesn't always tick either.. I have to drive it a good bit..

I would just like to know for sure what it is.. When I asked the foreman at my dealer what the noise was.. He looked off and said stuff in the rotating assy on the top end.. "This car has 2 cams per bank! It's noisy".. I said.. " know what it has.. What is making the noise?" He didn't know..
They don't have a fix for my transmission. They just say grinding is a normal thing. I don't want the headache of doing that with the tick as well.
:(

·
Registered
49 Posts
its nothing thats been proven as an actual issue other than a noise, doesnt hurt performance......
Personally, I don't like driving a brand-new $36,000 car that sounds like it's got an exhaust leak or a spun rod bearing.

There is no fix yet. Just take your car to the dealer so it can be documented. If enough people complain about this, Ford might do something.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, I don't like driving a brand-new $36,000 car that sounds like it's got an exhaust leak or a spun rod bearing.

There is no fix yet. Just take your car to the dealer so it can be documented. If enough people complain about this, Ford might do something.
We said that for the past year about the xmission

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
300 Posts
Can always trade it for a automatic...:yup:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can always trade it for a automatic...:yup:
Or lemon law it if I qualify but honestly I love it. I just want it to not tick and not shift like a semi truck.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Or lemon law it if I qualify but honestly I love it. I just want it to not tick and not shift like a semi truck.
I don't think that is too much to ask

·
Registered
49 Posts
My car runs way too well for this to be a major mechanical problem. I just don't want it to sound like a beater F-body camaro!

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My car runs way too well for this to be a major mechanical problem. I just don't want it to sound like a beater F-body camaro!
Honestly i think its a chain guard...... like a chain is knocking against it. It can't be anything that is attached to the engine with extreme hardness dues to the random tick sounds.

Its most likely something dumb like that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have a 2009 lincoln mkz with a 3.5L single bank vct & it has been randomly ticking for a long time with no performance or mechanical issues, And I beat the hell out of it. Think it's just a normal vct type of noise. Just my opinion, but I wouldn't worry about it. If it becomes an issue ford will have to take care of it. You have 5 years. If it goes past that chances are it's not a problem.:)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I usually hate it when folks scream at OPs because of repeat threads. I've made several 'tick' threads myself, but we really need to consolidate these things. The sheer number of different threads about the same thing is getting out of control.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts