Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a brochure for the 2011 GT 5.0 and it shows a shift knob which is similar to the 2008 Bullitt knob. When I went to my dealership to see the 5.0 they have in stock, I noticed that it has the standard GT shift knob from previous years. I do not see anywhere in building a GT Premium online that you can specify the knob displayed in the brochure. Does anyone know what gives?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Welcome, I can't see any examples tho

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you want the shiny silver shifter that's in the brochure instead of the regular nub, you will need to add the Premier Trim with Color Accent Package (401A) - $395. It also changes the brushed silver dash to the patterned one in the brochure, door inserts with the Pony logo and gets you the striped seats.

·
Registered
51 Posts
FWIW, I actually like the regular knob better than the shiny ball that comes with 401A. Another reason I didn't get 401A is because the accent stripes only come in Grabber Blue, which doesn't match my Kona exterior paint. I saw some pictures of that combo and to me it looked really bad, and I thought it would look even worse in a convertible with the top down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also got the 400a shifter like in the above pic, but am curious if the shift knobs are interchangeable. I might like to try the cueball shifter in the future I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been going back and forth over this one. After seeing two 5.0s in person, on the one hand, the patterned dash is a bit cheezy to me and I would love the seats if a red strip on black seats were available (since I plan on painting red stripes on my black 5.0), but I really prefer the smooth leather door inserts and "cueball" shifter. Manufactures will never get it perfect, for everyone......, but at least we have more choices available than most.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fix

You can order the shift knob and the boot that goes with it and install it yourself. There's a thread about that either on this forum or another Mustang forum where a guy installed the 401 shift knob/boot on his 2010. The thread had step-by-step instructions with photos. If you google it, I'm sure you'll find it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Anyone know if the Roush shifter is worth the wait? Or is there a better shifter on the aftermarket? I like the white cueball on the Roush cars looks wise, but don't know how the linkage will change on the new one.

I ordered mine on Jan 26th, wanted the round shifter but ended up with the premium shifter which I tend to like better know in the Hot Florida sun. Just tinted the car last weekend.

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you're wanting to add the 401a shift knob then on mustangforums.com search under 401a shift knob. There's a thread where this guy replaced his 2010 400 shift knob for the 401a one, but he also had to purchase the 401a shift boot (not sure if he had to do this).
Here's the link:
http://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...ng-the-401a-shift-knob-to-400a-vehicle-2.html

I was thinking about doing this myself, but I think I'm going to purchase the Roush billet shift knob with grips once they release the 2011 shift pattern.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All I know is that the silver shift knob becomes hotter than heck when the car is parked in the sun. Almost to hot to shift, have to do it quickly. Cools down after AC runs a while. That bing said I like the looks much better than the standard one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
FWIW, I actually like the regular knob better than the shiny ball that comes with 401A. Another reason I didn't get 401A is because the accent stripes only come in Grabber Blue, which doesn't match my Kona exterior paint. I saw some pictures of that combo and to me it looked really bad, and I thought it would look even worse in a convertible with the top down.
Not only a blue stripe option, but also cashmire (off white, light tan color)

·
Registered
84 Posts
It looks like you do need to change the boot out also for the swap. The original shift knob is a lot wider at the base and the circumference of the original boot corresponds to this size. The ball knob is a skinny stalk and the boot circumference has to be a lot smaller to snugly wrap around this smaller stalk base.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Above is from a base model.

This is from a GT Premium (non-401A). (Maybe not any different, but perhaps the boot is leather on the Premium instead of vinyl as on the base?)
I'm thinking of going with the MGW shifter for my 2011 GTCS,I hear great things about this unit. Price is fair for the quality, however I have a couple of questions for you peeps.

MGW site has an installation video for this shifter, and it's very good and detailed, including hints to help you with the install.
The stock car in the video is a BOSS, the knob itself is a ball type screw down... they mention how to remove this knob, but they do not specifically show how to remove the knob as the one above (GT Premium).
1. Does the GT Premium knob also screw off ( it's sort of pear shape).
2. I like the premium knob over a ball shaped knob... can this premium stock knob be used with the MGW shifter once the installation is complete?
MGW does not really have a huge selection of knobs to go with their shifters, actually a very limited offering.... they have 5 or 6 with the rally stripe and a couple more, in pear shape ( which is very similar to the GT premium.
Any of you guys that have replaced the stock crap shifter with the MGW shifter, can maybe chime in with how they removed the knob shown above, and if it could be used again with the new MGW shifter.
Thanks in advance for any help offered.

·
Banned
108 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Why didn't you just make a new thread?

MGW shifter, stop thinking about it and get it. Its a no brainer.

The old knob unscrews, its pretty tight too.

Knobs! Ford Licensed Shift Knobs - Embedment shift Knobs, Engraved Shift Knobs, Rally Series

I like the black ball you can get with the MGW, also get the beauty nut they have for $10.
What is the point of saturating the forum with yet another shift knob related thread? It's a pretty simple question, especially for those that ALREADY installed the MGW shifter, I hate to assume anything, I was not sure how the knob came off...
I was not debating or doubting the quality of the MGW shifter, as my post clearly showed.
I came across knobs that went on with an allen screw at the base, I also had shifter knobs that unscrewed, THAT was the question!
Thanks for the answer...

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
when you order your MGW you have a choice of shift levers..specify the one that retains the original threads. My base model original know unscrewed it may take a bit of muscle and either one of those thin rubber sheets used to help you remove jar lids or go score a set of rubber strap wrenches (an excuse for new tools!) the mgw knobs use a differant thread than stock Mustang but I don't remember what either is. Hint when replacing knob wrap shat threads with teflon tape this stops rattles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts